• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can Kensi Change Enhacments?

Kabol

First Post
Was reading through Kensi - and It made me wonder - Can a Kensi Change the Enhancments on his Sig Weapon?

Say he has his Enhancments Set at +1, Holy Keen Flaming < +5 total >
~ Could he loose the Holy bonus < taking it to a +3 total > and then spend the exp it takes to get form +3 to +5 to Add Shocking and Defending?

Last edited:

uzagi_akimbo

First Post
Don't think so either - especially since otherwise the "loose signature weapon on purposes" rules wouldn't make any sense, really. So, stack enhancements carefully.
Of course, if you start with an entirely new weapon (after your old one got utterly destroyed or somesuch ), you might just create a reworked sword. Of course, since purposefully loosing or destroying one's weapon violates the Kensai's Oath, taht will be hard to pull of ingame.

hafrogman

Adventurer
I'm going to disagree slightly here. From my reading, they can change their weapon's enhancements as long as they respend the XP.

Their signature is still a bonded MW weapon that they can enhance by spending experience.

Quidam

First Post
cite?

I'm curious what rule you'd cite supporting your assertion that enhancements can be removed and replaced with different ones. There are stated rules for adding enhancements, but none for removing them.

dbm

Savage!
Supporter
If you can't remove exisiting enchantments then it makes it very tricky to add powers with a +2 equivalence to the Kensai weapon.

Also, the rules do say that if the item is already enchanted then the cost to improve the enchantment is (cost of new enchantment) minus (cost of existing enchantment). By a legalistic reading of that, one could switch between different enchantments of the same cost for no XP, just needing 1 day each time.

Cheers,
Dan

noeuphoria

First Post
For the +2... the kensai doesn't have to up his bonus every level. At any point, he can sit down, meditiate, and imbue his weapon with bonues equivalent to his level. If he really wanted to, a kensai could have no weapon until level 10.. and then sit down, meditate, and walk out with a +5 keen holy flaming defending greatsword.

Quidam

First Post
legalistic

I'd like to see exactly what legalistic reading would explain the removal of an enchantment from a signature weapon. The idea of this dopelweapon, this weapon that can change from day to day, hardly seems signature. Plus, this ability would be a significant enough increase in the power & flexibility of the class that the rules regarding it would explicit, rather than implied.

On a similar topic- for those of you playing with the samurai class from Oriental Adventures, how do you incorporate the similar ability of the samurai with the signature weapon of the kensai? Since they don't get the ability to imbue their weapons until 4th, I considered allowing their samurai levels less three to apply to their kensai enhancement chart. Either that, or just replace the whole ability of the samurai with a bonus feat.

Kabol

First Post
Aye - I agree that being able to change your weapons pluses every day would be Hella powerful - But also, keep in mind that it takes EXP to "augment" your sig weapon - So while you Can change it "at your whim" your also gonna be droping down alot or EXP for that ability.

So I can see how that can balance it out

I mean as Im reading it - it would cost a 10th lvl Kensi 4000Exp to "re-work" his weapon enancments

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads