• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can lances be used when not mounted?

Lord Ben

First Post
Can you use a lance if you're not mounted?

Since it has reach anyone attacking you while you're mounted would take an AO right?

Werdnam

First Post
While technically one CAN use a lance umounted, I personally disallow it in my games. It's one of those things about which I cannot suspend my disbelief.

hong

WotC's bitch
Lord Ben said:
Can you use a lance if you're not mounted?

By the book, yes. In fact, not only can you use it while on foot, you can use it in one hand.

Feel free to mock anyone who tries this trick mercilessly, until they flee from the room in tears and join a monastery.

Artoomis

First Post
When dismounted they are used spears.

A real lance could be used that way pretty well, while a tourney lance (the ones we see in the movies) can not.

Moonglum

First Post
If they move within threatened range you would receive an AOO on them. (Reads, reads, computes) I think that's right. I'm not up on riding, as it's only come up like once since we started 3E.

Tony Vargas

Legend
There is no requirement that a lance only be used when mounted. You just won't get its 'double damage on a charge' special if you're not mounted.

3E only has so many weapon entries. If you want to use a 'spear' in one hand (and not a dinky half-spear), the Trident and lances work reasonably well as stand-in equivalent stats. If you had a character habitually using a 'lance' on foot, I'd consider it to be a 'one handed long spear' rather than a jousting lance - it'd look a little different (less silly) but be statistically identical.

Vaxalon

First Post
IMC the difference between a lance and a longspear is whether or not you are on a charging mount.

That is

If you are not on a charging mount, your lance is treated as a longspear.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads