• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can o' worms- opinions sought

Pramas

Explorer
Dextra said:
However, I think that we need to distinguish d20 from Game.

If a d20 product has all of the rules required to run as a complete game including character generation, levelling, etc., then it's no longer pure d20, and should be considered a game. Thus A Game of Thrones, Mutants and Masterminds, and Spycraft would be considered for Best Game ONLY, not both game and d20.

That's an easy fix then. Right now the award specifies d20 and OGL. If you make the award d20 only, that'll take care of it, since you can't have a complete game with the d20 logo on it.

Treebore

First Post
dextra,

sorry to thread jack, but I couldn't find/think of another way to do this.

Could you remind Jason of a certain Iron Heroes HB Rulebook that needs to make its way to Elfrida, AZ, USA?

My e-mail is:

This is set to self destruct in 24 hours. Or you acknowledge getting it, whichever occurs first. ;)

Thanks.

Last edited:

Dextra

Social Justice Wizard
Treebore said:
dextra,

sorry to thread jack, but I couldn't find/think of another way to do this.

Could you remind Jason of a certain Iron Heroes HB Rulebook that needs to make its way to Elfrida, AZ, USA?

I've been bugging him ever since we left Indy.
He drove to massena ny this afternoon and shipped everything!

Thanks for your support!

Treebore

First Post
Thanls very much!

BTW, my praises to you at making the Ennies such a great experience, despite them shafting you on the seating!

Tell the presenters of the awards/medals that they looked stunning! (Geflings?)

Dextra

Social Justice Wizard
The Gelflings=my daughters.
The eldest is turning fifteen next week.

Youch. She is going to be dangerous at Gen Con next year!

Treebore said:
Thanls very much!

BTW, my praises to you at making the Ennies such a great experience, despite them shafting you on the seating!

Tell the presenters of the awards/medals that they looked stunning! (Geflings?)

kingpaul

First Post
Dextra said:
Additional Categories
Software. With the amount of various programs out there to aid the GM and player (character generators, map makers, NPC generators, item generators, et al), there should, IMO, be a category solely focused on the software end of the spectrum.

Dextra

Social Justice Wizard
But to have a viable category, it must have at least 10-12 entries from at least 6 different publishers. Are there seriously a dozen software programs out there that come out in a given year who would enter?

kingpaul said:
Software. With the amount of various programs out there to aid the GM and player (character generators, map makers, NPC generators, item generators, et al), there should, IMO, be a category solely focused on the software end of the spectrum.

Psion

Adventurer
Pramas said:
That's an easy fix then. Right now the award specifies d20 and OGL. If you make the award d20 only, that'll take care of it, since you can't have a complete game with the d20 logo on it.

I fear if you did that, the category would be too narrow. More and more publishers are choosing not to operate under the terms of the d20 STL and bear the d20 logo, and many feel that its presence is not as important as it once was.

Pramas

Explorer
Dextra said:
[*]Judge Selection: Should judges be able to self-nominate, or should they receive a nomination and second before being put on the ballot?

I think self-nominations are OK, as they encourage new people to throw their hats in the ring.

[*]d20: I would like to keep the best d20 category as a nod to the origins of the Awards as well as reflect the unique advantages and disadvantages of using the d20 STL, but redefine it so that a product cannot compete in the Best Game as well as Best d20 Product. Please, no conjecture about 4th ed and how it'll affect future Awards, let's focus only on the 2007 Awards.

As I mentioned earlier, I'd just limit this to products with the d20 logo. While I agree with Psion that there are a lot less of these than their used to be, it seems like there still should be enough to fill out the category. Hell, I've already given Denise several d20 branded products for the 2007 awards and with companies like Paradigm, Necromancer, and Goodman still putting out d20 stuff the category should be able to reach critical mass.

[*]Mega Books: With the increasing number of mega-books with content spanning multiple genres, should we limit the number of categories an individual product in which a product can compete in the "Genre" domain (best adventure, best campaign/campaign setting supplement, best monster/adversary, best supplement)? Ie. publisher picks one? Or do we reward the products for their content, so in theory a Ptolusesque product could receive nominations in all?

I would be wary of a "Dances with Wolves" dynamic. I don't know that you need to change the categories or anything, but I think future judges need to consider carefully how they place things. There were clearly a lot of folks who didn't agree that Shackled City belonged in the Campaign Setting category this year. These sorts of of disconnects can undermine the awards in the long term, as happened with the Origins Awards over the years. I don't think anyone wants the ENnies to turn into the OAs.

[*]Additional Categories: I am contemplating adding the "Best Paraphernalia" category to the list to include items such as T-shirts, RPG fiction (and comics), dice bags, RPG movies, etc. In other words, the Aid/Accessory category would be open to products that enhance game play, paraphernalia to products that enhance gamer lives.

I'd say this would be hard to judge. How do you decide whether a t-shirt is better than a novel? I think this is the problem the Diana Jones Award has, with games competing against individuals competing against events. This year's winner was Irish charity auctions at conventions. And hey those are great, but by what criteria do you decide that an auction is better than a game?

[*]Category Definitions: how are we doing with the definitions as is?

They cover the basics but could probably use some further honing.

[*]Category Evaluation Criteria: by what criteria do you think each category should be evaluated?

Well, the big one should be excellence. Are you looking for something more specific than that?

Dextra

Social Justice Wizard
Evaluation Criteria

Pramas said:
Well, the big one should be excellence. Are you looking for something more specific than that?

Yes, please!

For example, I would be very interested to hear from miniatures creators what they think we should look for in miniatures. I have no idea, personally, how I would judge a quality mini from non. Or when you produce a book, and look at the various elements that go into it, how do you gauge excellence? What makes you open a book or game and think "Wow"?

Also, what about value/price being used in evaluation? Some judges take it into consideration, others don't- what do you think about the subject?

I'm not saying that all the judges will use all the suggestions, but I think it could be a nice starting point for the judges (especially the new ones).

Remove ads