• Yes. Objects can be Hidden.

Votes: 71 89.9%
  • No. Objects cannot be Hidden.

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Joke Answer. Insert LOLs here.

Votes: 7 8.9%

Iry

Hero
I recently got into a debate about whether or not objects could be hidden. I thought it would be interesting to turn this into a poll and discussion about the topic. And when I say hidden, I mean gaining the same benefits as having taken the Hide Action.

I believe that objects can be Hidden, especially if someone intentionally hides them. How does someone intentionally hide an object? That was also the subject of debate. For me, the most obvious way is taking an object with you when you use the Hide Action and then leaving it in the place where you were hidden. This would be subject to all the usual hide limitations, such as being revealed when a creature with line of sight reasonably looks its way.

Another way seems to be the Sleight of Hand skill. It states "Whenever you attempt an act of legerdemain or manual trickery, such as planting something on someone else or concealing an object on your person, make a Dexterity (Sleight of Hand) check."

Now, that does only mention concealing an object on your person and not concealing an object somewhere else, but the skill also claims to include legerdemain and manual trickery. For me, this would include all manner of magician stunts including manual illusions. I believe it would be completely reasonable and within the wording of Sleight of Hand to hide objects other places beside yourself.

For example: Magicians Being Awesome!

Of course, skills are always broad umbrella terms and an individual DM might decide that Stealth, Sleight of Hand, or some kind of attribute roll might be most appropriate for hiding objects. But what about you? Do you think objects can be Hidden?

Last edited:

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Yes. Investigation explicitly lets you look for hidden objects.

As for what skill lets you hide an object: I would lean again on Investigation (to find a good spot), a "knowledge" skill, or Tool Proficiency, depending on the situation.

I agree that this isn't even a question. Forget about rules for just a moment. Who has never looked for their car keys? Most of the time we search for such things simply because we brainfart and can't remember where we left them. Imagine how much more difficult it would be if someone intentionally hid them? What is buried treasure if not hidden?

Is this a philosophical question or an actual rules question? It seems that folks love to poke and prod at every rules phrasing to find nonsensical tautology and then claim there's something wrong with the game. Of course an object can be hidden.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Yes. Investigation explicitly lets you look for hidden objects.

As for what skill lets you hide an object: I would lean again on Investigation (to find a good spot), a "knowledge" skill, or Tool Proficiency, depending on the situation.

It lets you look for hidden objects, but there are no rules for hiding them. Sleight of Hand does not cover walking over and hiding an object under a bed. The hide rules are for creatures. Does hiding an object use a stat check at all? I can see a player describing that he hides an object by placing it under the bed and the DM just assigning a DC for an investigation check. What stat is used? Dex seems like a poor choice to me as how nimble your are doesn't really mean much, but say int or wis would be good for choosing a good spot to place the object. The game forgot to place in rules for actually hiding the objects mentioned can be found.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Is this a philosophical question or an actual rules question? It seems that folks love to poke and prod at every rules phrasing to find nonsensical tautology and then claim there's something wrong with the game. Of course an object can be hidden.

How? Show the rule. I mean, clearly you can hide an object, but the game doesn't provide any way to do so. A DM has to come up with his own rules for it.

How? Show the rule. I mean, clearly you can hide an object, but the game doesn't provide any way to do so. A DM has to come up with his own rules for it.

Yep. The game doesn't provide a way to dig a hole, either. The PH isn't a complete guide to all possible interactions, that's what the DM is for. There are many ways to hide an object - have the player make an Investigation check to find a cunning hiding place and establish a search DC for it is one that comes to mind at the moment. Or just have them describe what they do and set a search DC.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Yep. The game doesn't provide a way to dig a hole, either. The PH isn't a complete guide to all possible interactions, that's what the DM is for. There are many ways to hide an object - have the player make an Investigation check to find a cunning hiding place and establish a search DC for it is one that comes to mind at the moment. Or just have them describe what they do and set a search DC.

Yes, but digging a hole doesn't really require a DC the way hiding an object does. I also agree that there are lots of ways to come up with reasonable rules for hiding things. It just seems odd to me that the game would provide rules for finding objects, but not actually hiding them. It doesn't seem like it would have take a lot of time to add it to investigation or stealth as wisdom checks. As it stands, hiding objects will vary quite often from table to table.

Remove ads