• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Can Sleep spell stack?

Shatterphim

First Post
To let's say a Sorcerer prepares to cast his Sleep spell and holds his action. Later in the round, 8x Pixies from a Druids Conjure Woodland Beings cast Sleep at a target. Can they all cast simutaniously and have the spell total HP stack?

Shatterphim

First Post
So the 8x Pixies acting on their own turn could cast Sleep, but their effects could not stack on a single huge target area? But the Sorcerer and 8x pixies could blanket a large area withe multiple creatures simultaneously?

the Jester

Legend
Correct. They could get a ton of goblins or kobolds, but one big monster would shrug them all off.

That said, some DMs might be generous and allow this. I wouldn't, but I'm a meanie. ;)

So the 8x Pixies acting on their own turn could cast Sleep, but their effects could not stack on a single huge target area? But the Sorcerer and 8x pixies could blanket a large area withe multiple creatures simultaneously?

They can cover the area with sleep if they do their casts sequentially.

1. Since each cast can only effect 20ft from the point of origin.
2. Sleep puts creatures unconscious
3. Sleep does not effect unconscious creatures (or already asleep from previous actions)

The amount of total HP affected per 20ft from point of origin remains the same per cast but not simultaneously. Additional amount of HP affected can only be done when you cast it in a higher level slot (+1d8 for each slot).

Last edited:

Syntallah

First Post
I might allow carefully timed castings (read: successful Arcana check for each of the casters to 'weave' their individual spells together) of the Sleep spell to stack... but only up to the maximum possible limit of a single spell (i.e. 40 hit points worth, I believe; don't have my book with me).

Remove ads