• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can somebody explain the bias against game balance?

Raven Crowking

First Post
Interesting. I see players coming into conflict with a game's setting and the residents therein, but a competition....

To-may-to, to-mah-to.

Se-man-tics, se-mon-tics.

Hard to have conflict where there is no competition.

Not meant to be a reply necessary to you specifically, but to the vibe in general: cooperation doesn't mean "everyone pulls their weight. In combat." It can mean a lot of other things too. To me, cooperation means, "everyone works to accomodate the character concepts that the other players are interested in. Within reason."

Indeed, young man! :lol:

(Funny, I'm 43 now, will be 44 later this year, and you couldn't pay me to be 14 again. These are the best days of my life!)

Oh, you mean like in AD&D when each party had a caller? :D

That's fair enough; but it's a mischaracterization of the role of caller. I note that in 1e, PCs didn't have to follow the caller's orders. They were not even encouraged to do so.

The caller existed to funnel player communication with the DM, so that he wasn't trying to understand 16 people talking all at once. And it is critical that the DM understand what the players wish their characters to do.

What you are suggesting is rather like assuming that the mapper got to decide where the party went.

I never used a caller, personally....although I did run games with more than 16 players at the table.

Seriously, bossy jerks at the table have been nothing new - but at least in 4E, there are whole classes built around the fact that a person can give their party bonuses if the party allow themselves to be bossed around.

So, to be clear: Bossy jerks are nothing new, but they are now encouraged. :hmm:

Me, I've perceived it as the game having taken a step back towards the older D&D way of empowering the DM to make the changes needed to shake things up

I would agree.

RC

Raven Crowking

First Post
It's one thing for the game to allow Sue to demonstrate excellence (this is possible in 4e, for example - clearly some players are better at character building and combat tactics than others, and/or better at skill challenges and using p 42 to advantage than others).

It is a separate question whether, and how, this is to be reflected in the character build rules.

So, "clearly some players are better at character building....It is a separate question whether, and how, this is to be reflected in the character build rules". Sorry, but I am not following you here.

In 3e, particularly, the character build is the unit of excellence. In earlier editions, what you did on adventures was the unit of excellence (i.e., using the character, and often somewhat unrelated to character build).

Those problems - with one clear solution and no choice to be made - are boring. A game filled with those kinds of situations is going to be boring. It turns the game into Snakes and Ladders. No choices to be made, roll the dice.

Agreed.

RC

Indeed, young man! :lol:

(Funny, I'm 43 now, will be 44 later this year, and you couldn't pay me to be 14 again. These are the best days of my life!)
Wrong thread! But I'm not that young either; you can't add 20 to 14; you also have to add a few more years for me to figure out how good I had it at 14. I didn't realize that until... oh, sometime in my 20s at least. ;)

Not that I don't have it good now; far be it from me to complain! But it's a totally different kind of thing, too.

Barastrondo

First Post
To-may-to, to-mah-to.

Se-man-tics, se-mon-tics.

Hard to have conflict where there is no competition.

I must admit I don't agree. Competitions tend to imply that all parties are aiming for the same resource, whereas conflict may be when two parties going for entirely different goals come up against one another. Player-versus-environment is a conflict, but the environment isn't competing for the same resources a player is. The frozen wasteland isn't trying to beat the players to the food and shelter. Competitions are a subcategory of conflicts, not a synonym.

That said, I can certainly see games which choose to indulge only in competitive conflicts. I don't agree that it's the baseline, but I do appreciate the further explication.

Last edited:

Pretty much all of them, because they're all combatants. You find enough flexibility in them for you. That doesn't make those of us who don't wrongbad people.

No. The problem is that you make claims that are wrong. That you don't want to play a game as fiddly as 4e isn't a problem in the slightest. That you claim that some things are impossible when they are in fact pretty easy if you know what you are doing (or in some cases complex but possible) means that you should be rethinking your criticisms.

Ah, tautology. Because this is D&D you must go into dungeons and fight dragons.

No. Because it's D&D you must be able to support the playstyle where people want to go into dungeons and fight dragons. And support it without any newbie traps such as near non-combatant characters who are effectively The Load in dungeon crawling expeditions.

To have classes that would be as much use as a chocolate teapot in such games would be offering a really sucky play experience to newbies and the overwhelming majority of D&D players. On the other hand to have ways of playing people who contribute to combat while in character hiding and screaming (as 4e has) but that take some skill and finesse to build means you get the best of both worlds.

If you want to do otherwise, you're playing the game wrong and a bad person who ruins everyone else's fun.

Given I'm about to start running War of the Burning Sky - and I don't recall seeing a single dungeon or dragon - that isn't my point.

Why exactly is a non-combatant a drag on the other characters if he's valuable and contributes in other ways?

Because combat is a matter of life and death for the party. And you are tying a large chunk of the party down to defend you. They are worse off in combat with you there than they would be if you didn't exist. And there are few times where every last extra inch helps than in fighting for your life against an overwhelming foe.

There's more to a game then combat.

Yes. But combat's a big one in 4e. And if you do not survive the combats you will not get to do anything else because you will be dead.

Why vilify or belittle those who think balance should extend beyond the combat encounter and be done in a different way then 4e did so?

Because your criticisms of thingks you can't do are wrong. I've demonstrated how to do them. Including people who do not swing a weapon or otherwise attack themselves (Warlord) or just rain abuse and encouragement (bard). And you haven't yet shut up, listened, and apologised.

Actually, I dislike this aspect of 4e because, to me, the classes are too homogenius. Everyone's a full up combatant.

Tell that to my changeling bard. Lowest AC in the party, lowest damage. Also the face man (and man of many faces), the utility caster (whatever the wizard may have thought), and the person inspiring the party onwards. Comfortably the weakest combatant in the group. But there's a massive difference between that and non-combatant.

Seriously, all the leaders are weak in direct combat (but get the healing to make up for it). And it's pretty easy to make a bard or a shaman who doesn't know one end of a sword from another.

I want a system that balances based on the team and adventure using spotlight sharing, not on the individual and combat round using homogenization. And a Donkeyhorse.

Meaning that the specific adventure needs to be written for the party.

I never said it was a bad game. Just that I don't like it partially because it's balance philosophy puts me off. I own and play several class-level systems with more flexibility and with balance philosophies that better ft my preferences.

FantasyCraft and M&M?

Shenanigans. Pre 3e. Cats do less then 1 point of damage in 3e.

Cats do 1 point of damage in 3e per attack. Attacks reduced to less than 1 point of damage always do a minimum of 1 point. And their full-round attack has a claw-claw-bite with all three being significantly more likely to hit than the wizard's dagger. Next objecion?

I already have the game I want. It's not classless. I have no idea where you get the gameworld thing.

Because feats to have groups on your side are significantly different per gameworld.

Oh, and you may find 4e flexible, I do not. Again, that doesn't make me a bad person, or a fool.

No. It does however make you ignorant when you claim that certain things are impossible when they are pretty easy to pull off in 4e.

How large a dragon, and to what narrative end?

A young one to piss off its mother? Seriously, there are half a dozen reasons I can think of.

My objection to 4e is that I find it boring, fiddly, miniature and combat centric,too expensive, and because of it's design descisions regarding balance and class structure that it doesn't handle the sort of games I and my friends want to play. Purely subjective, I know. Don't try and convert me, that's not the topic.

I'm not. And those are legitimate reasons to want to play something else. What I'm objecting to are that your criticisms of 4e appear to indicate that you have not understood a damn thing about it that wasn't in the PHB1 or DMG1. And if you only had those two books (and possibly the MM1) and they comprised the whole of 4e then you would have a point. But the PHB 2 seriously and both obviously and subtly expanded the range of what was possible in 4e to heights not seen in any previous mainline edition of D&D (FantasyCraft and M&M don't count). The DMG2 is the best damn book on running an RPG it has ever been my pleasure to read (the second being Robin's Laws of good GMing - Robin Laws being the common factor here).

The topic I haven't seen answered is why do the OP and his supporters feel I'm a bad person for not liking the design philosophy of 4e?

I don't. On the other hand you produced a list of criticisms of 4e that haven't been true since the PHB II was published. And then refused to acknowledge that you are ignorant when it's pointed out that much of what you want and claim to be impossible is easy to do.

You do not like 4e. Fine. You do not play 4e *shrug* You do not understand 4e. Not a problem. Most people don't. You do not understand 4e then castigate it based on your lack of understanding? Now we have a problem.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
At some point this turned from a thread about game balance into a thread rife with edition warring. Man, are we sick of edition wars, so that's going to need to stop. This means that you - yes, you! Woo, you've been specially chosen! - probably shouldn't reply to the edition-warring posts above. Trust me on this one.

Thanks, and PM me with any questions.

To reply regarding balance (and with respect to piratecat and his warning):

Take the base class from 3e that is most imbalanced. Remove it from the game. Is the game better?

Take the base class from 4e that is most imbalanced. Remove it from the game. Is the game better?

In my opinion, the answer to these questions would be no. No the game is not better...but to some of you, it may be.

Ok then, let's do a flowchart...If no, stop and add the class back in. If yes repeat until no.

If the game keeps getting better by removing the "most imbalanced" class...then eventually you play a game with all the same class...the "least imbalanced" one...which need not be the weakest. Arguably, in 3e, the bard was "imbalanced" due to weakness....It was, perhaps, further from (below) the median than the more powerful classes were above.

Note that the OP doesn't seem to discuss the lower end of balance, but I'd like to add that into the equation. What if I like imbalance because I want to play a "weak" character? What if I want suboptimal choices on purpose to play the "squire" of a friend?

I wonder if a "well balanced system" would allow for poor choices to even be made? Or would such a system have "no mistakes/low end balance" built in?

A personal note was that in second edition/AD&D, my first character was a Fremlin (friendly gremlin of sorts) Wild Mage. He was a pc, but acted entirely like the party wizard's familiar. He also started 6 levels behind the rest of the party and "caught up" to being only 2 levels behind when the game ended. He was a blast to play.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
If the game keeps getting better by removing the "most imbalanced" class...then eventually you play a game with all the same class...the "least imbalanced" one...which need not be the weakest. Arguably, in 3e, the bard was "imbalanced" due to weakness....It was, perhaps, further from (below) the median than the more powerful classes were above.
1/ You're assuming that every class is, to some degree, "imbalanced". That's not true in any edition: some (or many) classes were just fine.

2/ You're assuming that, if something is good to do once, it will still be good to do it N+1 more times. That is absurd.

Cheers, -- N

Raven Crowking

First Post
1/ You're assuming that every class is, to some degree, "imbalanced". That's not true in any edition: some (or many) classes were just fine.

2/ You're assuming that, if something is good to do once, it will still be good to do it N+1 more times. That is absurd.

Cheers, -- N

I disagree.

(1) This should be taken as a given, IMHO. I believe that it is demonstrable, in any game system, in any edition, that every time a choice is made regarding character build, some level of imbalance results. 1 = 1 is balance; 1 =/= 1 indicates some form of imbalance.

(2) This is not an assumption. IF balance is always good, THEN if improving balance is good to do once, it will still be good to do it N+1 more times.

That the result is absurd only demonstrates that "balance" is not always good.

That it may be good to remove or revise classes demonstrates that "balance" is not always bad.

RC

Remove ads