Can someone explain Magic to me from 2d20 Conan by Modiphius Entertainment like I am 5 years old?

Slit518

Adventurer
I feel the magic system is a little... weird. I need a little help explaining it, or, perhaps I am right.

It seems Magic uses Resolve to cast Spells. BUT, it also permanently takes Resolve away to learn new Spells or to even take traits that would enhance your Magic?

I feel if you want to have a variety of Spells or even traits, you will basically have little to no Resolve left.

MGibster

Legend
It seems Magic uses Resolve to cast Spells. BUT, it also permanently takes Resolve away to learn new Spells or to even take traits that would enhance your Magic?
The core rulebook describes sorcery as a "dreadful path to knowledge and power" that is "ultimately corruptive." Unlike D&D, you won't see wizards with tons of spells casting magic missile or light all day nor is magic some sort of technology.
Yes, learning a new spell costs permanent Resolve. However, you can raise your Discipline skill with experience points to get additional Resolve.

Thomas Shey

Legend
That's pretty much it. In the Conan setting being a mage is, well, a bad thing; its going to be really hard to get there without making awful bargains, its of limited use tactically, and you're going to pay a price for having learned it any level worth mentioning.

Slit518

Adventurer
The core rulebook describes sorcery as a "dreadful path to knowledge and power" that is "ultimately corruptive." Unlike D&D, you won't see wizards with tons of spells casting magic missile or light all day nor is magic some sort of technology.
Yes, learning a new spell costs permanent Resolve. However, you can raise your Discipline skill with experience points to get additional Resolve.

I was thinking that. But, wouldn't the stat cap at 14 even before the subtraction of Resolve from buying Spells or traits associated with it?

MGibster

Legend
I was thinking that. But, wouldn't the stat cap at 14 even before the subtraction of Resolve from buying Spells or traits associated with it?
I've never actually run the game; I've only read the rules. So, maybe? I don't have the Book of Skelos so maybe it adds more to magic. But as far as the basic rulebook is concerned, I believe the expectation is that any PC will have access to a very limited number of spells. Like, 2-3.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I've never actually run the game; I've only read the rules. So, maybe? I don't have the Book of Skelos so maybe it adds more to magic. But as far as the basic rulebook is concerned, I believe the expectation is that any PC will have access to a very limited number of spells. Like, 2-3.
Seems on point for the genre.

Slit518

Adventurer

I will say, at least each Spell comes with versatility. Some Spells have various variations depending on which Difficulty you want to try and cast it at, D1, D2, D3, etc.

MGibster

Legend
I will say, at least each Spell comes with versatility. Some Spells have various variations depending on which Difficulty you want to try and cast it at, D1, D2, D3, etc.
And you can rip the hearts out of your enemies with one of them which is way cool!

That is like a D5 though, right?

My GM disagrees with me, but I love how Conan-like and flavorful sorcery is in that system, and yet I think it's really more of an NPC thing. (He likes to point out that NPCs are, strictly speaking, built different from PCs, so you'd sidestep a lot of what's in the rules)

But one thing to keep in mind is that with just a few spells you can come up with a wide range of different effects. They aren't one-and-done, single-effect spells like in a lot of games. Plus you can often do things to get extra successes, like burning a point of Fortune (that's two successes right there), buying dice with Doom, etc.

However, you start with maybe one or two spells, and have to work very very hard to get more. It's not a character path for the faint of heart, or for a campaign/group that focuses on optimized play. In a sense, you're putting a lot of points and effort into access that part of the supernatural at all, something that's very off-limits in the Conan setting. Some GMs will make that more than worth it, from a narrative perspective. But if all it means is you're hitting endless numbers of guys with a spell instead of a sword, I wouldn't recommend it.

Remove ads