• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can someone explain Online D&D to me?

Eryndur

Explorer
I'll disagree because I'm feeling ornery (and I truly believe it's better). GRIP is by far the best online tabletop utility. Surpasses Openrpg and Webrpg by leagues.
www.rpgrealms.com

The character sheet designer alone is worth it.

Eryndur

Naxuul

First Post
Mmmmm, online gaming

Hiyas!
Long time foruim reader but first time poster here. Since I have only been able to play D&D through online thingies i thought i could interject some thoughts here. Overall i find online D&Ding to be slowish in combat(but still quite fun.)... and the more special rules you use in combat the slower it gets. But roleplaying in them is fun, serious and quick... well if you are with someone like me who can type quickly. Slow typers can easily get bogged down.

I find WebRPG/MIRCish type tools to be the best form to game in, though i have yet to find a good site to find games for them(anyone out there have good sites for those types of online D&D?). PBEMs and PBPs are far more common.. but i find them less fun. Either they move so quickly that i can hardly keep up or they move so slowly i get bored.

-Naxuul, "I'm not not licking toads!"

Emiricol

Eryndur said:
I'll disagree because I'm feeling ornery (and I truly believe it's better). GRIP is by far the best online tabletop utility. Surpasses Openrpg and Webrpg by leagues.
www.rpgrealms.com

The character sheet designer alone is worth it.

Eryndur

OpenRPG is opensource (FREE to use, DM, play, upgrade, reload, whatever you wanna do). Eryndur may have used an old version - prior to v1, it was in alpha and beta stages. And was then almost as good as GRIP with a raft of features I liked better. Now that it is in release, I'd say OpenRPG is hands-down the better utility (but that's just my opinion, though one shared by a large and active gaming community)

OpenRPG also allows users to create custom character sheet, despite the claim to the contrary. I've used Grip, WebRPG and OpenRPG, and I use OpenRPG. OpenRPG has a large userbase too. OpenRPG has a community portal.

I'd stay away from WebRPG, though, whether you go with GRIP or OpenRPG.

Disclaimer: The above is IMHO, and YMMV.

Remove ads