• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can someone please run soldarins ECL calculator over this race

Infinite Monkey

First Post
I don't have soldarins ECL calculator or anything similar, so I would like opinions on the ECL of this race, as well as suggestions for improving it.

Durn-an.

The durn-an are a sub race of 'dwarves'. They have adapted to life underground where they use their great size and immense strength to mine for precious metals and construct the massive halls and tunnels of the dwarven cities.

Racial Traits

Large size. Durn-an get -1 AC, -1 BAB, -4 size, +4 grapple checks, +4 bull rush checks. They can wield large weapons 1 handed, and huge weapons 2 handed. Their armour costs and weighs more. They have a 10' reach.

+4 Str, +2 Con, -2 Dex, -2 Int, +2 Wis, -2 Cha. Durn-an are immensly strong and tough, and their long periods alone underground give them a thoughtful manner, but they are rather slow in both thought and deed and tend to be unused to the company of others.

Light sensitivity. Durn-an get a -2 circumstance penalty on all rolls when in bright sunlight or the area of a daylight spell. Abrupt exposure to bright light blinds them for 1 round.

Stonecunning, as a dwarf.

+2 vs poison, spells and spell-like effects.

+2 on craft checks pertaining to mining and construction of stone buildings. +2 on appraise checks when determining the value of raw metals and jewels.

I would prefer them to be ECL +0 or +1, and would be interested in ideas of other limitations to bring them down to +1 if you can think of any.

whatisitgoodfor

First Post
IMO, granting them large (tall) size is a very large (no pun intended) benefit.

If you reduce their Str bonus, and take away the Wis bonus, I could see allowing this as an ECL+1 race. Of course I'm very liberal about what I allow as PC races.

Having PC's running around wielding two 2d8 weapons (with monkey grip) is an extremely terrifying concept for me though.

I think that the best way to do this is just going to be a lot of playtesting. Oh, and sotty about not using Soldarin's ECL generator, I've never used it before and don't really have time to play with it right now.

XCorvis

First Post
Here's what I get:

+1 Large size
+0.1 Poison save
+0.2 Spell/Spell like effect save
+0.2 Stonecunning
-0.2 Light sensitivity.

+0.4 Physical Abilites
-0.1 Mental Abilities
----------

I assume there is some kind of darkvision as well. I'd add +0.2 for 60'. I also don't consider them to have a armor/body form weakness, as they are generally humanoid in shape, even if they're large.

However, Soldarin's system is geared towards generating ECLs of monster races, not PC races. Personally, I'd call this one a +2, specifically for the reach and the Str bonus. If they were large without reach, I'd consider it a strong +1.

To make them ECL +0, I think you could make them large with no reach and reduce some bonuses, like whatisitgoodfor suggests. You'd have to ditch some other bits too...

Fade

First Post
Dwarves are normally fairly short and wide, so the durn-an would be as well. So perhaps they are only about 7' tall despite being Large, and thus don't have the natural reach associated with large bipeds. I would then call them +1.

Last edited:

Infinite Monkey

First Post
They are halfway between 'standard' dwarves and humans for body shape, only bigger.

I have decided to go for ECL +1, although I may add some more disadvantages if I think of any.

Remove ads