Can someone point to...

dungeondweller

First Post
I know I read somewhere that d20/OGL products cannot contain character generation rules or rules for character advancement, but heck if I can find it now... Does anyone know the document / location of this clause?

I'm trying to find the exact text again so I can skirt around it for a new product.

Ranger REG

Explorer
See My Disclaimer Below...

Assuming you WANT to slap a d20 System logo on your product...

From the d20 Trademark Usage Guide v5:
[h1]Definition of Character Creation:[/h1]
Character creation means the process of generating and assigning initial scores to abilities, selecting a race, selecting a starting class, assigning initial skill points, selecting initial feats, selecting initial talents, selecting an occupation, and picking an initial alignment. You may, at your option, refer readers to the section on Character Creation in the Dungeons & Dragons Player's Handbook or d20 Modern Roleplaying Game, including references to any of the named steps in the process for character creation. Character creation does not include creating or modifying the description of a race, a class, a skill, a talent or a feat.

You may indicate that a player should use a race, class, ability, etc., presented in a Covered Product in addition to, or exclusive of, those presented in the Dungeons & Dragons Player's Handbook or d20 Modern Roleplaying Game. In no way should this paragraph be construed to allow you to present the process for creating a character as defined in the previous paragraph.​
[h1]Definition of Applying the effects of Experience to a Character:[/h1]
Applying the effects of Experience to a Character means the process for comparing the accumulated experience point total of a character to a chart to determine if the character's level should be incremented. If the experience level of a character exceeds threshold values as defined by the chart, the character is modified in a specified fashion.

Specifically, Applying the effects of Experience to a Character means incrementing the character level of a character by incrementing a class level by one rank, or by adding a new class at first level, and describing how to allocate new skill points, select new feats, select new talents, or gain new class-level linked abilities.

Applying the effects of Experience to a Character does not include creating or modifying an experience point chart or defining a new class (including describing what benefits that class provides at each level).​
And further down...
[h1]Mandatory Restrictions:[/h1]
No Covered Product may contain rules or instructions of any kind that:
  • Describe a process for Creating a Character
  • Describe a process for Applying the Effects of Experience to a Character

dungeondweller

First Post
First... Thanks very much for the input. I can't find that particular doc, so apparently I didn't save it from my d20/OGL publisher's package back in 2002.

On to the topic at hand...

So.... For a system where characters are built using a progressive background / adolesence system, one could simply introduce a truly generic, featureless core class with no skills or feats beyond what a character gets automatically, then have the players use the system in the book to "add on" initial skills and feats to the "already created" character... ?

Sounds like one could skirt around the issue using this method.

Jim Hague

First Post
Honestly, the D20 logo isn't worth the trouble, barring a direct agreement with WotC. Go OGL, DD, and I say that as a publisher that does OGL work himself. Vigilance, Reg, lots of folks here give good advice, but if you want the skinny from a lot more publishers, ask your question down in the Publishers' Forums, and there'll be lots of folks happy to answer. :)

Ranger REG

Explorer
dungeondweller said:
First... Thanks very much for the input. I can't find that particular doc, so apparently I didn't save it from my d20/OGL publisher's package back in 2002.

On to the topic at hand...

So.... For a system where characters are built using a progressive background / adolesence system, one could simply introduce a truly generic, featureless core class with no skills or feats beyond what a character gets automatically, then have the players use the system in the book to "add on" initial skills and feats to the "already created" character... ?

Sounds like one could skirt around the issue using this method.
Like that lifepath system found in MechWarrior: The BattleTech 3rd Edition RPG, or the Central Casting series (I have my copy of Heroes of Legend book for use with any fantasy RPG)?

Yeah, you could introduce it as a variant or add-on.

dungeondweller

First Post
Well... As an RPGNow exclusive publisher... I have to disagree. Look at the sales stats. d20 System material is the top selling category. Besides that, IMO, it's the best single rules system ever to hit RPG's.

So.. Hard sell trying to change the entire course of my publishing company.

dungeondweller

First Post
Ranger REG, that's kinda my idea... Have bumped up against them once before. Am trying to skirt them this time.

Trust me, it's no good to get their legal department involved.... Might as well cancel the whole product line.

Ranger REG

Explorer
dungeondweller said:
Ranger REG, that's kinda my idea... Have bumped up against them once before. Am trying to skirt them this time.

Trust me, it's no good to get their legal department involved.... Might as well cancel the whole product line.
Just don't instruct/command us readers to use the system to create our characters. Offer it to us as a variant rule.

Remove ads