Can someone point to...

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
dungeondweller said:
Well... As an RPGNow exclusive publisher... I have to disagree. Look at the sales stats. d20 System material is the top selling category.

That's purely because it's the largest category. Seriously. More than 70% of RPGnow product is d20 System material. With numbers like that it can't be anything other than the top-selling category. That is, it's not the top-selling category because it's official d20 product, but because such product composes the bulk of RPGNow's catalog.

[Note: I was the head of RPGNow's review department for a year, so I had plenty of time to crunch numbers on stuff like this.]

dungeondweller

First Post
Ranger REG said:
Just don't instruct/command us readers to use the system to create our characters. Offer it to us as a variant rule.

No, the entire intent of the product is to provide a stepped version of character creation, essentially building the PC as a child first, then layering what they learn up to adulthood from there. So the only reason to purchase the product would be if you wanted to review and possibly use such a system.

Ranger REG

Explorer
dungeondweller said:
No, the entire intent of the product is to provide a stepped version of character creation, essentially building the PC as a child first, then layering what they learn up to adulthood from there. So the only reason to purchase the product would be if you wanted to review and possibly use such a system.
Then you're going to have to drop the d20 System label and just go strictly OGL. That way you can instruct us on how to create our characters from childbirth to a certain age for one to begin adventure.

dungeondweller

First Post
Well... That was the entire point of the thread. I think I can skirt the restrictions entirely by language. What the book actually instructs you to do is "create your character normally" using the custom base class in the book. The trick of the book is in that base class, where the abilities gained at first level actually walk you through the process of building your character organically.

Thus the book does not contain a character generation process. It simply creates a new clore class, "Adventurer", that treats skills, feats, and abilities very differently from the other classes.

Committed Hero

Adventurer
Ranger REG said:
For an OGL product WITHOUT the d20 System logo, you have free rein, BUT try to use your own words and not WotC's printed text.

Kwatz! The second part of you post has finally explained the difference to me. I could never understand how OGL products got away with what I had assumed was a no-no when they printed experience point/level progression tables and charts with point costs for ability scores. What a dope I is.

Committed Hero

Adventurer
Jim Hague said:
Honestly, the D20 logo isn't worth the trouble, barring a direct agreement with WotC.
I don't think it's as cut and dry as that. If you can abide by the d20 license and not gut your concept, it still makes sense to keep the logo. It's only after publishers got more ambitious with the system that we've seen the growth of OGL products.

dungeondweller

First Post
At least in my opinion, the d20 logo is a big part of telling your prospective customers what game you're intending your material to be played with... It's become synonymous with "100% compatible with (that big FRPG)".

Ranger REG

Explorer
Committed Hero said:
Kwatz! The second part of you post has finally explained the difference to me. I could never understand how OGL products got away with what I had assumed was a no-no when they printed experience point/level progression tables and charts with point costs for ability scores. What a dope I is.
It's a common misconception. While the Trademark License rely on the OGL (as stated in both the license and usage guide), the OGL can also be used as a generic standalone content license.

Remove ads