• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can tongues allow a person to speak druidic?

azhrei_fje

First Post
Simple: no.

Sound of Azure said:
Well, the spell description says you can "speak and understand the language of any intelligent creature, whether it is a racial tongue or regional dialect", so I don't see why not.
Hmm. (I emphasized the direct quote from the SRD.)
SRD said:
Class Features
All of the following are class features of the druid.
[...]
Bonus Languages:
[...]
A druid also knows Druidic, a secret language known only to druids, which she learns upon becoming a 1st-level druid.
If it's a class ability, it's not a "racial tongue or regional dialect", is it?

AZNtrogdor

First Post
azhrei_fje said:
Hmm. (I emphasized the direct quote from the SRD.)
If it's a class ability, it's not a "racial tongue or regional dialect", is it?
someone on the wizards forums made a very good point
http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=680682
Dalthbar said:
It doesn't have to be either. The language is

"This spell grants the creature touched the ability to speak and understand the language of any intelligent creature, whether it is a racial tongue or a regional dialect."

"whether" is equivalent to "even if" in this sitation. The word introduces alternatives, but I don't believe the alternatives introduced by "whether" is ever meant to be an inclusive list.

It's helping define the nature of the spell in that you don't get just the over-arcing language, but the regional or racial versions of it as well.

deathlord1337

First Post
Yep 100% yes even if its a made up language that only the creator knows yes period anyone that says no is just wrong or is using house rules, but if they are not speaking it its more likly itll be a random language they know until they say somthing in druidic then you may elect to speak druidic

Greenfield

Adventurer
In D&D 3.* the spell says that you can speak any language. It doesn't say it has to be their "native" language, or first language. The only limit it puts are that you can only speak one language at a time (i.e. you speak a specific language, not some universal tongue that can be understood by all), and you can't speak to things that don't speak. So it isn't a "Speak with Animals" or "Speak with Plants".

Other that that, no limits, including dialects. Now I can see an interpretation that things like "Thief's Cant" are more of a code than a language. Druidic however is specifically a language, by the book.

Now another interpretation, regarding Druidic, is that it's at least partly related to whatever comes out when you Speak with Animals. It includes body languages and gesture, as in a language that isn't "spoken" (i.e. includes a non-verbal portion.) Since Tongues specifically deals only with spoken languages, that's a way to address it.

But that's little more than an effort to justify a DM's decision to deny Druidic to non-Druids. That is, the spell says it works on Druidic, but the DM can over rule anything. The rest is rationalization.

Remove ads