• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can Undead Rage?

Gromm

First Post
Technically it doesn't say no, but raging seems to be an emotional thing (ala the spell emotion as an example, as well as every other sort of non-Barbarian rage).
You could say they are channelling thier hatred of the living or something similar and it would be sensible.
Overall Undead don't get much out of raging (no Con bonus, Will saves don't come up much, -2 AC for +4 Str).

Nareau

Explorer
There are also plenty of raging undead in fiction

I agree that it looks a lot like a mind-effecting condition, but nothing in the rules says they can't.

Besides, it's pretty standard to have "angry ghosts" that constantly strike out at whoever is near them. So it's not far-fetched to think that ghosts can experience intense emotions (like raging).

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Epametheus said:
It'll be really short rage, since there's no Con bonus to add for extra rounds of duration, but sure, they can rage.

Hey this is the perfect explanation for the 'Angry' ghost releasing a sudden wave of emotion (rage)! Banshee have a feat to extend the 'rage'

However I wouldn't beleive a raging zombie or worse skeleton!

Gaiden

Explorer
Based on the description of calm emotions I don't think that rage would work on undead. Undead are immune to mind altering effects so if it can be determined that rage is a mind altering effect, I would say no, undead can't rage.

IMHO, rage is a mind altering effect. I say this because under the description of calm emotions, rage is one of those things that can be calmed. Further, the virtuoso has the bard like ability to inspire a rage. Although neither of these in and of themselves prove that rage is a mind altering effect, they certainly lend credibility that it is more likely than not.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads