D&D 5E Can we optimize a Small Barbarian?

asdf asdf

First Post
Is that before or after stat increases from race and level?

How about this: Halfling (lightfoot) Barbarian 5 Paladin 3
Stats after racial modifiers:
STR20 DEX18 CON18 INT10 WIS10 CHA13
Polearm master feat
Dueling fighting style

Using a shield and a quarterstaff (one handed), you will have an AC of 20. When raging, your three attacks (two standard, one bonus action) will each have a +9 damage modifier. If they all hit, that's an average damage of 36.5.

Better yet, take 3 levels of fighter and 1 level of rogue instead of paladin. This way, you have improved crit chance, and sneak attack (use a rapier instead of a quarter). This means, you have 1d6+1d8+ modifiers on damage, with a 20 on strenght it would be an average of 45 damege per turn, plus you have action surge, plus a grand total of 20% crit chance (not included on the averge damage).
Instead of polearm master, use the lucky feat, for even more crit chance, and get the additional attack from the barbarian's verserker frenzy.

CTurbo

Explorer
I have played a Stout Halfling Frenzy Barb from level 1 to 5 and it was so much fun. My stats were 14, 18, 18, 5, 10, 10 and I had the Mobile feat. Unarmored AC of 19 with a ring of Protection. I purposefully stuck with using a Light Hammer for flavor despite much better weapon options. He could have easily wielded a Battleaxe in two hands for 1d10 damage. Since I was willing to stick with the 1d4 Light Hammer, and the exhaustion penalty was so severe, the DM allowed me to get the Frenzy's Retaliation feature at level 4. It was so awesome. The DM also houseruled a generic unarmed attack that we called a mauling that was basically a combination of biting, scratching, punching, etc for 1d4+Dex damage since this character was basically a feral wild animal with such a low Int. Note: this character was 2 levels below the rest of the party and was sort of the party pet. He slept a lot from exhaustion and did not participate in every encounter.

At any rate, I could totally see playing a smarter version of this character. I would probably go Barbarian 8, but there are several potentially fun multiclassing options available.

Champion 3/Barb 5 - Fighting style plus extra crits. I love the TWF option discussed above. Duel Wielder feat would be fun. Mobile, Lucky, Alert, Resilient Wis would all be good as well as Sentinel.
Battle Master 3/Barb 5 - Fighting Style + maneuvers. I love Riposte and Trip Attack for this build. Goading attack would be fun too since Barbs are the best tanks.

Deep Stalker 3/ Barb 5 - as mentioned above, Darkvision + ridiculous first turns in combat.
Hunter 3/ Barb 5 - Fighting style + Horde Breaker of Colossus Slayer. I love Horde Breaker for a Barb. I'd probably go Dueling for this. +2 Dueling damage + rage damage = awesome.
Beastmaster 3/ Barb 5 - Wolf Totem, Wolf companion. Use it as mount. Take Mounted Combat feat = awesomeness. Check with DM to see of he'll allow your beast to improve with non Ranger levels.

Assassin 3/ Barb 5 - Dex build, sneaky, Awesome first rounds then rage. Extra damage boost. Use Cunning Action to dash around. Combines well with Halflings racial features.

War Cleric 3/ Barb 5 - Adds excellent out of combat healing and utility. You can be full Barb while in combat and a Cleric outside of it. Extra Bonus action attack 3 or 4 times an encounter is great for a Barb.
Tempest 3/ Barb 5 - Same as above except this time you deal reaction damage and can be crazy blasty once a day with a max damage thunder/Lightning spell. Then rage lol

Pally 3/ Barb 5 - Fighting Style. Each Oath adds something fun. Same as Cleric with some healing and utility. Can't cast spell while raging but you should be able to Smite while raging. Ask DM. Possibly get to Pally for more smiting and OP Aura of Protection. Always on even while raging.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Welcome [MENTION=6933687]asdf asdf[/MENTION] to ENWorld. You've got some good ideas there, but this thread hadn't been updated in 20 months - it's usually better to focus on active posts.

Sneak Attack damage only comes once per round, so that damage isn't quite as good per round as you'd expect. Also, I'm not sure how you're getting that many attacks with a Rapier and the Lucky feat - it's not Light so you'd need the feat to use it with two weapon fighting.

asdf asdf

First Post
Oh, I didn't saw the date, sorry. But wait, really? Sneak attack applies just once per round? I didn't know that, thanks.
(btw, the extra attacks come from both extra attack at 5th level barbarian, and frenzy, at third level with path of the berserker, so the double weapon it's not necesary)

Remove ads