• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can you be Charmed by more than one source at the same time ?

Yig

First Post
I have an NPC that was Charmed by my BBEG (used Charm Monster at CL 12).

Now, what happen if one of the PC cast Charm Person on that NPC ?

Was I right to rule that CP didn't work since CM is of a higher level ?

Thanks !

dcollins

Explorer
Yes, you can be the target of more than one charm spell effect. The rule in the PHB (I believe under "Magic: Enchantments") is that if that happens, roll opposed Charisma checks to determine exact control.

My last party actually used this for defensive purposes. Problem: Two big stupid fighters, frequently targets of charm effects. Solution: Sorcerer with high Charisma who learned "charm person" to use as a counter in those situations.

Last edited:

Sejs

First Post
Charm doesn't give you control over the target, it just makes the target your friend. It changes the target's attitude toward the caster for the duration of the spell.

So yeah, you can be charmed by multiple people at the same time, and they don't cancel eachother out. You're just good friends with both of them.

dcollins

Explorer
Here's what I'm thinking of, from the SRD under "Combining Magical Effects":

Multiple Mental Control Effects: Sometimes magical effects that establish mental control render each other irrelevant, such as a spell that removes the subjects ability to act. Mental controls that don’t remove the recipient’s ability to act usually do not interfere with each other. If a creature is under the mental control of two or more creatures, it tends to obey each to the best of its ability, and to the extent of the control each effect allows. If the controlled creature receives conflicting orders simultaneously, the competing controllers must make opposed Charisma checks to determine which one the creature obeys.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads