• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Can you bring Undead back to Unlife?

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
I know you can't Raise Dead an undead to alive again.

However, is there a way to return an undead that has hit 0 hp, back to unlife? Or are they outright destroyed,
*poof*, with no way to magically get back up? Can you Animate Dead ​a dead undead?

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
I know you can't Raise Dead an undead to alive again.

However, is there a way to return an undead that has hit 0 hp, back to unlife? Or are they outright destroyed,
*poof*, with no way to magically get back up? Can you Animate Dead ​a dead undead?

Wish and miracle should do it. Some artifact of your design should to. Lich have philateries, so that is a option to explore.

I'm not aware of a rule against animating destroyed undead. But if they are destroyed, maybe they aren't effective undead. There can be stages in a the "life" of an undead. Like a zombie's flesh rots away and it becomes a skeleton. The skeleton is destroyed and now it can only be animated in to an crawling hand. http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/undead/crawling-hand

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I would certainly rule that a cleric could research a resurrection spell for the undead. I'd think that Orcus would want his most powerful creations around to plague the living indefinitely.

Ramaster

Adventurer
I'd say no... I does say that they are "destroyed" when they reach 0 hit points. Living creatures cannot be resurrected when they get "destroyed" (via a disintegrate spell or similar effect), so undead shouldn't be either.

delericho

Legend
In general I would say "yes" - animate dead or create (greater) undead will do the job.

Though, technically, each of these is actually creating a new undead beastie out of the corpse left behind when the previous one was destroyed. Indeed, they might not be the same undead - a ghoul could be destroyed and then animated as a zombie, for example.

I'm not aware of any way to restore a vampire or lich to its previous state, though wish would probably do it.

Edit: All IMO, of course. :)

Tovec

Explorer
Per the PFSRD on the subject:
PRD said:
Not at risk of death from massive damage, but is immediately destroyed when reduced to 0 hit points. (Source: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/creature-types#TOC-Undead)
So, outright destroyed.

RUMBLETiGER said:
Since a undead become destroyed, not become a dead/corpse again, I see no reason why they would work for animate dead or create dead spells. I could be wrong though.

However, several times in the undead description it references that undead are basically objects - as such there may be ways of repairing the undead or otherwise treating them as objects for spells (animate objects?). But failing that once an undead is destroyed you can't re-undead it (as far as I know), since the undead-ing process requires a non-undead in any instance I can find.

Remove ads