• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can you cast while squeezing?

Zerakon

First Post
Last night, our illusionist attempted to "squeeze" into the fighter's square and cast color spray at the enemy dire rats. While we found the rule about taking a combat penalty for squeezing, we didn't see anything about whether you can cast a spell while squeezing. We made something up, but I'm wondering if there is an official rule about this that we're missing?

kreynolds

First Post
Zerakon said:
We made something up, but I'm wondering if there is an official rule about this that we're missing?

I don't know of anything explicitly stated within the rules, but it sounds close enough to a distraction to me.

Norfleet

First Post
I would say that yes, a caster can cast while squeezing in a square. The occupancy of a full square for combat is under the assumption that one must move about while in combat: This is not required for casting a spell, since a spellcaster isn't required to perform a ritual jig or anything. He merely needs sufficient space to wave his arms about, which doesn't require an entire 25 square feet to do.

However, if the fighter is currently engaged in combat with the rats, or anything else, then the fighter may bump the mage, which would constitute a distraction. I would say that if the fighter is attacking an opponent, or defending himself from one, at the time the mage attempts to cast, it qualifies as a distraction equal to "vigorous motion", DC 10 + 1 (CS). If the fighter willfully disregards the opponent so as not to distract the mage, and simply stands there like a log, then he should be considered flatfooted, loses his dexterity bonus, and the rats can sneak attack him. Naturally, he also doesn't get to attack anything that round.

Zerakon

First Post
Thanks guys.

We did rule that it required a Concentration check DC 10 but I like Norfleet's detailed rules below for future use. Basically, this was the first round of combat, and the illusionist "stepped up" to cast because he won initiative. No combat had occurred yet, and we have a feeling this situation is going to come up again and again because the illusionist has a heckuva dexterity and he took Improved Initiative as his first feat.

Norfleet said:
I would say that if the fighter is attacking an opponent, or defending himself from one, at the time the mage attempts to cast, it qualifies as a distraction equal to "vigorous motion", DC 10 + 1 (CS). If the fighter willfully disregards the opponent so as not to distract the mage, and simply stands there like a log, then he should be considered flatfooted, loses his dexterity bonus, and the rats can sneak attack him. Naturally, he also doesn't get to attack anything that round.

Pax

Banned
Banned
I would say, DC 10 + spell level + distraction.

The distraction modifier I'd apply would be the SAME one for melee combat under the same conditions (note, I'd apply this for the wizard to cast while in a small, cramped space -- say, a Half-Ogre spellcaster in a 5x5 corridor with 8-foot ceilings ... very VERY cramped quarters for him, but he MIGHT be able to pull it off ... if he makes the concentration roll).

Remove ads