• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can you charge diagonally?

Denaes

First Post
My group told me no when I tried.

I don't see a reason why not (logically).

I assumed I just hadn't seen the rule. I just checked d20SRD.org and I don't see any restrictions about charging diagonally, just a straight uninterupted line without difficult terrain or penalties

d20SRD.org said:
Charge

Charging is a special full-round action that allows you to move up to twice your speed and attack during the action. However, it carries tight restrictions on how you can move.
Movement During a Charge

You must move before your attack, not after. You must move at least 10 feet (2 squares) and may move up to double your speed directly toward the designated opponent.

You must have a clear path toward the opponent, and nothing can hinder your movement (such as difficult terrain or obstacles). Here’s what it means to have a clear path. First, you must move to the closest space from which you can attack the opponent. (If this space is occupied or otherwise blocked, you can’t charge.) Second, if any line from your starting space to the ending space passes through a square that blocks movement, slows movement, or contains a creature (even an ally), you can’t charge. (Helpless creatures don’t stop a charge.)

If you don’t have line of sight to the opponent at the start of your turn, you can’t charge that opponent.

You can’t take a 5-foot step in the same round as a charge.

If you are able to take only a standard action or a move action on your turn, you can still charge, but you are only allowed to move up to your speed (instead of up to double your speed). You can’t use this option unless you are restricted to taking only a standard action or move action on your turn.
Attacking on a Charge

After moving, you may make a single melee attack. You get a +2 bonus on the attack roll. and take a -2 penalty to your AC until the start of your next turn.

A charging character gets a +2 bonus on the Strength check made to bull rush an opponent.

Even if you have extra attacks, such as from having a high enough base attack bonus or from using multiple weapons, you only get to make one attack during a charge.
Lances and Charge Attacks

A lance deals double damage if employed by a mounted character in a charge.
Weapons Readied against a Charge

Spears, tridents, and certain other piercing weapons deal double damage when readied (set) and used against a charging character.

RigaMortus2

First Post
If you can draw a straight line between you and your target, and you do not pass through any obstructions (a creature, a wall, even part of a wall) and you have the movement to do so, you can charge it.

Denaes

First Post
Yeah I noticed funnystuff about walls and diagnal moves. Walls and pits obstruct, but characters don't from what I read.

Ganders

Explorer
Some people think 'straight line' means straight in line with the battle grid. And so they don't allow charging diagonally. But in this case you're right, you should be able to charge at any angle, as long as there's a nice wide clear path to your target.

Charging at an angle can be a bit complicated if there are people who might get attacks of opportunity on you during your charge. There can be arguments about which squares you actually move through on the way there. That's another reason why some DMs discourage it.

RigaMortus2

First Post
Denaes said:
Yeah I noticed funnystuff about walls and diagnal moves. Walls and pits obstruct, but characters don't from what I read.

I am pretty sure you can't charge through characters. They are obstructions. You can use Overrun to charge through enemies.

Magesmiley

Explorer
Yes you can charge diagonally. The easiest way to tell if you clip anything along the way is to trace a path from each of the corners, start to finish. It also makes who gets AoOs along the way a bit more obvious. And other PCs being in the way do prevent a charge too.

Shallown

First Post
Actually looking at the line example used for area of effect in spells may be useful it helps determine what squares they move through. If two choices are possible let the player decide then apply terrain and AofO from there.

later

Artoomis

First Post
If there is nothing in the way (see charging rules for what consititutes someting "in the way") you can charge in a straight line in ANY direction - including 3-dimensionally with a fly movement rate.

Basically, if you can take a piece of string and connect the charger and "chargee" you can charge - providing you have clear path.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
RigaMortus2 said:
I am pretty sure you can't charge through characters. They are obstructions. You can use Overrun to charge through enemies.
You can move freely through a character-occupied square. What makes you think they're obstructions?
RigaMortus2 said:
If you can draw a straight line between you and your target, and you do not pass through any obstructions (a creature, a wall, even part of a wall) and you have the movement to do so, you can charge it.
It's important to note the bit about movement. Diagonal movement costs more squares. So other than not being able to charge as many squares, diagonal charging is fine.

Lord Pendragon said:
You can move freely through a character-occupied square. What makes you think they're obstructions?

The Charge rules:

SRD said:
Second, if any line from your starting space to the ending space passes through a square that blocks movement, slows movement, or contains a creature (even an ally), you can’t charge. (Helpless creatures don’t stop a charge.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads