• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can you critical on a eldritch blast?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
The general rule is that if it requires an attack roll and 'deals damage' (lethal damage, non-lethal damage, ability damage, or negative levels), it can critical.

-Hyp.

Drakeskull

First Post
imp crit

Would it be improved critical eldritch blast or ranged touch. And if you use hideous blow I would assume the eldritch blast is x2 and the weapon what ever it is or in that case would it not critical?

Brain

First Post
If a warlock was using hideous blow and rolled a critical with the weapon, I don't think the eldritch blast damage would multiply because it would be considered extra dice.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Brain said:
If a warlock was using hideous blow and rolled a critical with the weapon, I don't think the eldritch blast damage would multiply because it would be considered extra dice.

Yup.

That's explicitly how delivering a touch spell with an unarmed strike was treated in Tome and Blood, and thus implicitly how a spell-storing weapon behaves.

I'm not sure if this has been updated/clarified/changed/whatever in Complete Arcane...?

-Hyp.

Drakeskull said:
Would it be improved critical eldritch blast or ranged touch. And if you use hideous blow I would assume the eldritch blast is x2 and the weapon what ever it is or in that case would it not critical?

I don't have C.Ar. but I'd guess it would be Improved Crit (Ray), it being a blast and all, though it might be an Energy Missle. Tome & Blood broke spells into several categories like ray (e.g. disintigrate) and energy missle (fire orb) for the purpose of Weapon Focus and even Specialization. 3.5 might have renamed them but I can't particularly see why.

As a warlock I'd be all over point blank, improved crit, and weapon (spell? spell-like?) focus. I'd also argue for farshot, not to extend the effective range but to decrease the range-based penalty but that'd be a house rule.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads