• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can you Curse away spell resistance?

F5

Explorer
I'm finding spell resistance to be a major pain for my spellcasting characters, and I'm looking for clever ways to minimize its' impact. I've already got Spell Penetration, focusing on spells that don't allow SR where possible...the ususal stuff. But I'm looking for a spell/item/effect that either lowers a target's SR, or boosts my ability to overcome SR, and I'm drawing a blank.

The Bestow Curse spell says you can invent your own curse effects, as long as they're equivalent to the existing effects in power level. Would it be fair to allow Bestow Curse to lower a target's SR by, say 5 points? 10? You would have had to beat the target's SR for the spell to take effect in the first place, so it's almost not worth it... is there a more clear-cut way to do this that I'm missing?

Thanks.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Assay Resistance from the Complete Arcane gives you a +10 vs one creature.
Lower Spell Resistance from Draconomicon (and some other sources too, I think) gives the target a penalty to his SR equal to your caster level (max 15).

The first is a swift action, so that's great, but it applies only to one caster. If your party doesn't have a lot of casters, that's probably your best bet.

ThirdWizard

First Post
Any magical item that gives a +1 caster level (or more if they exist) will raise your check to beat SR by that amount, as well as raise variable effects. I know there was a spell that lowered SR... it might have been in Magic of Faerun? I'm not sure...

I would probably allow Bestow Curse to lower SR by 3 points, though I'd have to think about it a bit. That seems reasonable, though.

ARandomGod

First Post
Jdvn1 said:
Assay Resistance from the Complete Arcane gives you a +10 vs one creature.
Lower Spell Resistance from Draconomicon (and some other sources too, I think) gives the target a penalty to his SR equal to your caster level (max 15).

The first is a swift action, so that's great, but it applies only to one caster. If your party doesn't have a lot of casters, that's probably your best bet.

What level is the Lower Spell Resistance spell?

And, as written, would they stack?

Since Assay resist gives you a bonus, and the lower resist gives the target a penalty... They might stack real good.

A nice thing to have a few scrolls of, just in case.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
ARandomGod said:
What level is the Lower Spell Resistance spell?

And, as written, would they stack?

Since Assay resist gives you a bonus, and the lower resist gives the target a penalty... They might stack real good.

A nice thing to have a few scrolls of, just in case.
I believe it's 4th level -- I think they both are. I'm not with my books, so I'm only 80% sure.

I believe they do stack for the exact reason you say.

Isn't using a scroll at least a standard action? They make better prepared slots, I think. We always use it, especially for the big battles.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Jdvn1 said:
Isn't using a scroll at least a standard action?

There's argument. But I don't see that interpretation.

"Activating a magic item is a standard action unless the item description indicates otherwise. However, the casting time of a spell is the time required to activate the same power in an item (such as a scroll, pair of boots, etc) unless the item description specifically states otherwise."

The item description ('Scrolls') does not specifically state otherwise; therefore, the casting time of the spell (one swift action) is the time required to activate the same power in a scroll.

-Hyp.

Remove ads