Can you have out of body experiences?

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Well, like I said, I can only think of two reasons someone would listen to science based media and subsequently claim they hear people telling them not to think critically. One's a choice, the other isn't. I feel it's more polite to assume the former given no information otherwise.
I guess I live in a world with a lot more gray.

Arduin's

First Post
A quick Google search turned up a significant amount of debunking of psychic "assistance" to police (and no credible evidence of hiring by the FBI despite some pretty widely publicized claims).

Your Google foo is irrelevant in this discussion. I know the person and I know that the FBI pays them. I met them as I worked counter terrorism with the CIA & FBI until ~'05.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
They do. So does the FBI.

No, they don't. Not as standard practice. No case has been solved because of a psychic, medium, or clairvoyant. There may be individuals within Law Enforcement who have tried (for PR reasons or desperation), but it has never worked.

Google is irrelevant? You have special knowledge that you are not willing to share or substantiate? What actual evidence do you have to back your claims?

"Ask Martha Stewart."
"Mrs Stewart didn't know."

Last edited:

kingius

First Post
This is an utterly pointless argument. If people look at the evidence themselves they can make their own minds up. They are quite capable of doing this. An intelligent society benefits us all. While ever people are being discouraged from doing this, and instead looking at theories which do not accurately describe the phenonoma, the truth has been lost and we as a society are being deceived. If you cannot see, and do not take the time to look at the evidence for out of body experiences yourselves, then nothing I can say will change it. Because the only thing that can is /discover it for yourself/.

This is an utterly pointless argument. If people look at the evidence themselves they can make their own minds up. They are quite capable of doing this. An intelligent society benefits us all. While ever people are being discouraged from doing this, and instead looking at theories which do not accurately describe the phenonoma, the truth has been lost and we as a society are being deceived. If you cannot see, and do not take the time to look at the evidence for out of body experiences yourselves, then nothing I can say will change it. Because the only thing that can is /discover it for yourself/.

Where is the evidence? Can you point me to the right person to speak and watch to?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
This is an utterly pointless argument. If people look at the evidence themselves they can make their own minds up. They are quite capable of doing this.

Yes. But there are two things to note:

1) What you believe does not change the facts. The truth is what it is, no matter what you believe.

2) It is very easy to fool yourself. Humans are subject to a host of flaws in how they evaluate information. The point of science is to give us discipline to eventually get past human failings, and get at the truth regardless.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Yes. But there are two things to note:

1) What you believe does not change the facts. The truth is what it is, no matter what you believe.

2) It is very easy to fool yourself. Humans are subject to a host of flaws in how they evaluate information. The point of science is to give us discipline to eventually get past human failings, and get at the truth regardless.
Not that I agree with him, but he can flip these arguments and say you are wrong. You are not using pertinent arguments.

Remove ads