• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can you learn rituals from other PCs?

fissionessence

First Post
I have two PCs in my party who can use rituals. If one of them pays to get a ritual into her book, can the other PC 'borrow' that info and copy it into his? It doesn't seem like it would break anything, since they're working as a group and so multiple instances of the same ritual is mostly redundant anyway, but wouldn't this be an issue for things like the RPGA where characters can move around between campaigns?

If the players find a library with some rituals in it that they can copy down, should I count that as twice the value for purposes of treasure since there are two ritual casters who will be copying down the info?

~

MarkB

Legend
Copying a ritual from someone else's book into your own costs as much in special writing materials as buying the ritual at market value.

The only cost saving you gain in finding a ritual book as treasure is that you can simply keep that book instead of spending the money to copy its contents into yours.

Since only one player can keep the found book, and the other would have to copy its contents into his own at market value cost in materials, that book is no more valuable with two ritual casters in the party than with only one.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Copying a ritual from someone else's book into your own costs as much in special writing materials as buying the ritual at market value.

The only cost saving you gain in finding a ritual book as treasure is that you can simply keep that book instead of spending the money to copy its contents into yours.

Since only one player can keep the found book, and the other would have to copy its contents into his own at market value cost in materials, that book is no more valuable with two ritual casters in the party than with only one.

One could argue that since typically ritual use is fairly free of time constraints that having the ritual in the ritual books of two characters does not give you any significant value, and therefore the cost of doing so should be negligable at best.

Lurker37

Explorer
One could argue that since typically ritual use is fairly free of time constraints that having the ritual in the ritual books of two characters does not give you any significant value, and therefore the cost of doing so should be negligable at best.

And watch the enterprising party start churning out dozens of ritual books to sell for whatever the market can bear?

No thanks.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
And watch the enterprising party start churning out dozens of ritual books to sell for whatever the market can bear?
No thanks.

Given how little the players will be able to sell ritual books for compared with the length of time they'll spend creating them, I'm not really seeing that there's that much of a problem. And of course there's the fact that you, as a DM, determine what the market can bear.

A note - the rules do in fact say that writing down a ritual costs that ritual's market price. My point is that that really isn't all that necessary.

Remove ads