• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can you move->stealth->attack>

Ophidimancer

Explorer
Using Bluff in combat allows one to gain Combat Advantage.

Think about that.

That's the equivalent of, "Look over there!" *STAB*

To me that doesn't seem to imply that getting Combat Advantage is too hard. It only takes an instant of having your attention off the bluffer.

If at any point the outline of your opponent is broken up or obscured by concealment, I think that can afford them the opportunity to hide their actions (ie use Stealth) and gain Combat Advantage.

"I've got you this time, you little thief!" cried the warrior, chasing the smaller man through the bazaar. The thief bolted through an open doorway with nothing but a drape to act as a barrier and the warrior roared in triumph, recognizing the building as one with only one exit. Right on the heels of the rogue, he pushed his way into the doorway.

"I've got you now! You can't hide from me in . . . urk!"

He stared down in shock at the blade that suddenly appeared in his stomach. The thief had stopped on the other side of the drape and plunged his knife right through cloth.

As he slumped to the ground, the last sight the warrior saw was the smirking face of the thief, "Wasn't trying to hide."

Just my humble opinion, of course.

Last edited:

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
jaelis said:
Don't know if I agree with that one, since the rules only say that you get CA if the target is "unaware" of you. I suppose that's open to interpretation, but to my way of thinking, if someone knows that you are hiding in a particular square, then they are basically aware of you.

But it sounds like a contentious topic, and I don't feel any need for an extended argument right now :)

No reason for contention. I agree with you that the issue you highlighted is where WOTC will make the clarification.

I can't think off hand of any benefit you would gain from being stealth but not having combat advantage in such a situation, but perhaps there are and I just can't think of it, and perhaps it's just left open for future publications. Like, for example, a Sly Hider feat that grants you combat advantage during stealth even if your target is aware of you. Maybe make that a prerequisite for a Paragon Hide in Plain Sight feat that lets you stealth even if your target has line of sight to you.

Last edited:

Zevanosh

First Post
what if you attack with say a crossbow from thirty feet away. how then would they know your exact location i think if you attack and are hidden you could in fact remain hidden in a situation like this. or if you kill your target and move and remain hidden from view on your next turn...

Mithreinmaethor

First Post
Has anyone yet posted that perhaps the OP should read the stealth rules in the rules compendium or at the least read the errata/updates provided by WOTC?

The OP I noticed referred to the PHB which is why I ask.

Grydan

First Post
Has anyone yet posted that perhaps the OP should read the stealth rules in the rules compendium or at the least read the errata/updates provided by WOTC?

The OP I noticed referred to the PHB which is why I ask.

Given that the OP was posting in June of 2008, before the current stealth rules even existed... no.

DracoSuave

First Post
To answer the original question (not reading through the thread):

You can move to a location with superior cover/total concealment, and make a stealth check as the same action.

You can then make your attack. Doing so will cause you to lose the hidden status, but you will not lose the benefits of being hidden until after the action has resolved. This means that you will enjoy combat advantage, and any other benefit thereof, including 'not being seen.'

SSquirrel

Explorer
I move stealthily to this covered spot. Did anyone notice me move there?
The guy right by the cover didn't see me move and his back is turned, I hit him with combat advantage.
I then lose combat advantage, as someone notices you once they have 6" of steel in their gut :)

Seems pretty clear.

Grydan

First Post
I continue to be amused by the fresh responses to this. :D

The original question was asked in June of 2008. You know, the month the game launched?

Just a guess, but I think the original poster is probably no longer waiting on the edge of his or her seat for an answer to how stealth works, nor an explanation of why.

Especially given that the way stealth works now is not how stealth worked when the question was asked.

Remove ads