D&D 5E Can you see when you're Blinded?

DMBrendon

First Post
This may seem like a stupid question, but the rest of my group believes that you can see when you have the Blinded condition.

Last night our rogue was blinded, but according to his interpretation of the rules, and in agreement with the rest of the table, he had no visual impairment and could navigate the battlefield flawlessly and sneak attack. All because of in the rules for the blinded condition it says “A blinded creature can’t see and automatically fails any ability check that requires sight”, according to him, because if the lack of an oxford comma before the “and”, it is not a list and so the “automatically fails any ability check..” is the sum total of his impairment, as well as the next bullet point about his attacks having disadvantage. Pretty much everyone else agreed that he could see things.

I naively though that being blinded meant you couldn't see anything and would have trouble with simple stuff like walking around. I was kinda able to get the DM to go so far as making the character have blurred vision or double vision, but that's as far as he would go, the rest of the table looked at me like I was a trumped up rules lawyer who was arguing for something in the rules that wasn't actually there. I even got push back from a player who though it was ridiculous to not be able to see where you're walking because there are no rules in the book for that specific circumstance.

On a higher level, isn't it a bit of a strange way to play that game that kinda defeats the whole purpose of D&D? ie. only having things happen in the game if they are explicitly mentioned in the rules, and not paying too much attention to what is going on in the game world?

I'd like to get a reality check from the rest of you to see whether I'm an outlier or not. I know there are different play styles, but I was gobsmacked.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I don't normally say this, but that's the most ridiculous rules interpretation I've ever heard. You're kidding, right?

Li Shenron

Legend
"...can’t see and automatically fails..."

This not only proves the PC is blind, but it also proves the player is blind too.

That he is also being a moron, doesn't need a proof. [mods: feel free to delete this if you think it's not appropriate, but in this case I really thought it was]

Paraxis

Explorer
You can not see.

But that does not limit movement, because moving at a reduced speed is not part of the blinded condition.
You can still sneak attack if you meet the qualifications like having an ally adjacent to your target.

So if you ally shouts out "Blackleaf, the bugbear is to the north of me!", the rogue can make a ranged attack against the target with disadvantage because that is what the blinded condition does, if the attack still hits it is a sneak attack because an ally was adjacent to the target.

EDIT: as someone pointed out, you can not sneak attack if you have disadvantage, I had forgotten that part.

Last edited:

Tormyr

Hero
You can not see.

But that does not limit movement, because moving at a reduced speed is not part of the blinded condition.
You can still sneak attack if you meet the qualifications like having an ally adjacent to your target.

So if you ally shouts out "Blackleaf, the bugbear is to the north of me!", the rogue can make a ranged attack against the target with disadvantage because that is what the blinded condition does, if the attack still hits it is a sneak attack because an ally was adjacent to the target.
(Emphasis Added)
You do not get sneak attack at all if you have disadvantage.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
We're PG 13, so no swearing but, you don't need a bloody comma before "and"! A blinded creature can't see - its right there as the primary statement!!!!

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
My douchebaggery and dumbassery allergies both went straight to anaphylaxis reading the op.

Your group needs to have their dice taken away.

And no. It's not you. It's most certainly them.

Remove ads