Can you separate an author from his or her work?

I was thinking of his books/stories in his case since Guillermo del Toro hasn't gotten around to making that Mountains of Madness movie
Well, it may surprise you to know that I don't read Lovecraft either. So if you're trying to catch me on the other side of that argument, you're going to have to try far harder than that. As for GdT, he hasn't made the movie, so your point is moot. Mountains of Madness is going to happen, either, so you don't have to worry about that.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I'm sure if you* looked at your collection of art, books music and movies- owned or just dearly beloved- you'd eventually stumble upon a few writers, artists, actors, musicians, etc. whose beliefs or actions are antithetical to your own. Possibly even abhorrent.

Anyone a Roman Polanski or Woody Allen fan? Garry Glitter? Jimmy Page?

* as in the nonspecific, Everyman "you"

Last edited:

Well, it may surprise you to know that I don't read Lovecraft either. So if you're trying to catch me on the other side of that argument, you're going to have to try far harder than that. As for GdT, he hasn't made the movie, so your point is moot. Mountains of Madness is going to happen, either, so you don't have to worry about that.

Despite your paranoia, I wasn't trying to catch anything, since you only addressed OSC, I simply wondered why you hadn't addressed Lovecraft and I'm also going to go with that you haven't read MZB either in which case nor have I. I'm also going to go with that you disagree with L. Ron Hubbard's views as well (since the majority of folks do).

I'm sure if you* looked at your collection of books and movies- owned or just dearly beloved- you'd eventually stumble upon a few whose beliefs are antithetical to your own. Possibly even abhorrent.

Going with this, if you find out that an author you enjoy does have views that you disagreed with would you stop[ buying books by him or not?

(you in this case being anyone who wants to answer )

Last edited:

I'm sure if you* looked at your collection of books and movies- owned or just dearly beloved- you'd eventually stumble upon a few whose beliefs are antithetical to your own. Possibly even abhorrent.

Sadly, at the moment my book collection consists entirely of psychology books and journals and assessments and a lot of other stuff that isn't for entertainment. I tend not to keep books after I have read them, except for the books I use for work and/or school.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Sadly, at the moment my book collection consists entirely of psychology books and journals and assessments and a lot of other stuff that isn't for entertainment. I tend not to keep books after I have read them, except for the books I use for work and/or school.

My point still holds. Psychologists are not a monolith of perfection akin unto the choirs of angels: if you knew each writer as well as you know yourself, I'm sure there would be some whose views on race, gender or some hot-button issue you'd find radically opposed to your own.

Despite your paranoia,
There is no need to start hurling insults. If you can't have a calm discussion, you are free to stop conversing with me.
I wasn't trying to catch anything, since you only addressed OSC, I simply wondered why you hadn't addressed Lovecraft and I'm also going to go with that you haven't read MZB either in which case nor have I.
Lovecraft wasn't brought up until you did. As for MZB, considering the allegations against her, and the conviction of her husband, the allegations are probably true. As I said, neither fiction nor its creator exist in a vacuum. And as someone mentioned, there are child rape scenes in Mists of Avalon, so it should make you wonder.
I'm also going to go with that you disagree with L. Ron Hubbard's views as well (since the majority of folks do).
Nope. Hubbard was a hack who wanted to be a psychologist, but he had no original ideas nor any real education in the field.
Going with this, if you find out that an author you enjoy does have views that you disagreed with would you stop[ buying books by him or not?
Yup. Easily. It's not just books either.

My point still holds. Psychologists are not a monolith of perfection akin unto the choirs of angels: if you knew each writer as well as you know yourself, I'm sure there would be some whose views on race, gender or some hot-button issue you'd find radically opposed to your own.
I'm sure there are, but there is a difference between fiction and scientific findings. It's like saying you'd stop believing in evolution because Darwin was a sexist.

Lovecraft wasn't brought up until you did.
I didn't bring up lovecraft first that would be Jester Canuck
Nope. Hubbard was a hack who wanted to be a psychologist, but he had no original ideas nor any real education in the field.
Yup. Easily. It's not just books either.
Well as i said I enjoy Battlefield Earth despite his views and the fact that others feel that it's bad writing and the majority of the thread is focusing the book aspect and you are right it's not just books either but that's what the main discussion is focusing on, if you wish to go off on the road about the over all issue then by all means go with it.

Elf Witch

First Post
Despite your paranoia, I wasn't trying to catch anything, since you only addressed OSC, I simply wondered why you hadn't addressed Lovecraft and I'm also going to go with that you haven't read MZB either in which case nor have I. I'm also going to go with that you disagree with L. Ron Hubbard's views as well (since the majority of folks do).

(you in this case being anyone who wants to answer )

This really depends for me. I can tolerate some things. If the person just says things I don't agree with I can over look it and would buy the book though I might try and find used copies. If the person not only says bad things but gives money to things I don't like like Card support of some of the antiLGBT groups then no because I don't want my money going there even if it is only say thirty five cents. But if they have done things to actually hurt people then no I won't.

I would never go to Dragoncon because part of the profits go to known child rapist Ed Kramer who has used those profits to finance his defense and keep his butt out of jail.

I will not ever watch or pay for a Woody Allen film. In my eyes he is damned even if he didn't abuse Dylan that means he knew it was a lie and that Mia Farrow was manipulating a child to say and believe that she was abused. But instead of fighting for his children to get them, out of a toxic environment he washed his hands of it and walked away and started a new family. You don't abandon your children especially when you have money to fight for them.

Remove ads