• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can you shoot a bow and wear a shield at the same time?

Darkmantle26

First Post
I'm in playing D&D game at a comic book store and one of our players is wearing a shield while simultaneously shooting a longbow, but wouldn't that weigh your arm down while you shoot?

Lanliss

Explorer
There is little distinction of shields in 5E so, by RAW, it would not work. If the Player were to have a special shield, perhaps a light shield that only adds 1 to AC, strapped to the forearm, it might work out. Or just the Animated Shield magic item.

Noctem

Explorer
I'm in playing D&D game at a comic book store and one of our players is wearing a shield while simultaneously shooting a longbow, but wouldn't that weigh your arm down while you shoot?

No, the shield takes up a hand and you need both to use a bow. The bow is listed as having the two-handed property making it impossible to simultaneously use a shield. You can look for yourself in the PHB under the equipment section, page 147 for two-handed property and 144 for shields specifically stating that a shield takes up one hand. Unless the character has 3 hands, what he's doing is not possible by the rules. Happy gaming :)

Last edited:

zaratan

First Post
by RAW, not even with a handcross you can use a shield, since "Loading a onehanded weapon requires a free hand.". But some accept repeater crossbow...

S

Sunseeker

By raw, no. A bow requires two hands, just like a greatsword. A shield occupies one hand, not to mention it would be a major annoyance while trying to fire a bow.

bganon

Explorer
There's quite a bit of ancient art, actually, depicting warriors using shortbows with a shield strapped to the arm holding the bow. Usually a smallish round shield with a shortbow, and they used the bow from a kneeling or half-kneeling position.

Whirlingdervish

First Post
I would say it depend on the type of shield..... Buckler sure no modifier , any centerheld shield or a roman Scutum no. an arm strapped shield yes but you don't get the AC bonus and you are at a disadvantage for the shot but if you are being charged you can drop your bow and draw your sword as move action of course if i am adding shield types i absolutely need to add different weights, possible stat req, and AC modifiers

Using a shield and a bow is nonsense or it's nonsense that you can't?

Unless it's strapped to your back (which is still likely to make things difficult) NO, it's not possible to carry a shield on one arm and fire a bow and arrow at the same time with any accuracy. All I can say to anyone who disagrees is go give it a try and get back to me.

Remove ads