• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can you Slide enemies through your own space?

Ninja-to

First Post
I would first say, not in the RAW, you can't slide an enemy through your own space, because enemies can't normally enter your space by walking.

But then it just doesn't seem right somehow. If you *wanted* them to go through your space why wouldn't you allow it to happen? By extension, can you slide enemies through allies spaces as well? RAW seems to say no again, but I think there may be something I'm missing here.

It seems to me that enemies almost become 'allies' in regard to movement at this point, because you also can't hit them with opportunity attacks. I don't want to get into a major sidetrack though that's just an example of my twisted reasoning...

Last edited:

Infiniti2000

First Post
I don't think you're missing anything and I would say nothing makes your opponent want it to happen. Anything you want must be something he doesn't want, which I think is the basic answer to your question on why. In other words, to modify the rule you need to justify why the target would allow himself to be moved through opponents spaces without consequence. Maybe he should get an OA, or perhaps have a chance to knock you prone (you might let him past, but maybe he doesn't want to go past).

Depending on what causes the movement I could theoretically see a rogue being able to slide an opponent through his own square due to the numerous moves a rogue has that tricks his opponent into moving as he dictates.

However, I can't see something like a wizard using Thunderwave to move an enemy through an ally's square (and yes I know its a push not slide, but its close enough I figure) without some ramifications happening. In cases such as the wizard using Thunderwave, I could visually see both the enemy and ally getting knocked prone in the collision.

Either way, nothing seems like it is possible unless you rule on it in certain cases or if someone makes a decent enough argument in one of your games.

MarkB

Legend
I would first say, not in the RAW, you can't slide an enemy through your own space, because enemies can't normally enter your space by walking.

But then it just doesn't seem right somehow. If you *wanted* them to go through your space why wouldn't you allow it to happen?

Because there's really no conceivable way to allow someone to pass that close to you that doesn't involve effectively lowering your guard completely. At best, they should get a free Opportunity Attack against you if you do this - but it's simpler to just not make it an option in the first place.

Ninja-to

First Post
The way I saw it in my minds eye was a sort of throw the Rogue was performing, pulling the enemy into his space and then throwing him behind. I'll have to think about it some more, you may be right, it's bending the rules.

Daniel D. Fox

Explorer
I believe whenever you force movement, it can only be through an unoccupied square. Otherwise, Rogues would be sliding their foes inbetween their allies and constantly getting combat advantage with every attack.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
I believe whenever you force movement, it can only be through an unoccupied square. Otherwise, Rogues would be sliding their foes inbetween their allies and constantly getting combat advantage with every attack.

Rogues already do that, except they just ask their allies to stand with neat spaces in between them. In fact, if a rogue DOESN'T get CA on almost every attack, he or she rapidly falls behind the other striker classes in terms of damage caused.

Ninja-to

First Post
Ok so I guess the general consensus is, 'no, you can't move the enemy through your own or and allies square'.

Thanks all.

xCruelx

First Post
The way I saw it in my minds eye was a sort of throw the Rogue was performing, pulling the enemy into his space and then throwing him behind. I'll have to think about it some more, you may be right, it's bending the rules.

My Rogue does this all the time with positioning strike. its flavor. When i count the squares mind you, i count it as a shift one diagonal square from in front of me, to my left, then diagonally back to directly behind me, so the rules are being followed.

since forced movement doesnt provoke, most of the time the intervening squares are irrelevant. count the move normally, and Narrate how he got from the starting square to the finishing square however you like.

Ways to force movement that I've used.

Grabbing the enemies arm and spinning around twice, then letting go...
Fienting a weakness, drawing the enemy toward me to get a free attack, then blocking it.
knocking over a coat rack/brazier forcing him to jump out of the way
throwing daggers at the ground in a "strafing run" pattern, forcing him to retreat

and this is all using the same power.

I was DMing "Pyramid of Shadows". one of the encounters has enemies that has icewalk (unaffected by an extremely nasty ice hazard that fills the room)

so i put them all on skates....and just counted squares (i will niether confirm nor deny that i was humming NHL theme music as the were pouring out of thier dressing room.. errr barracks)

the boss could teleport to any visible icy square as a move action.. but instead of teleporting, i narrated it as unlimited shifting as a move action, allowing her to (nonprovkling) skate rings around the party during each move action... same effect, different narration to the encounter.

Don't be hamstrung by the flavour or even the text of the attack. look for the end game effect, then challenge yourself to narrate each and every attack/effect in the coolest possible way.

thats the difference between an effective character and an Awesome character.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads