• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can you teleport vertically?

jester_gl

First Post
Can you teleport to a square where you would fall directly afterward? Seeing the tactic of the Fell Taint Warp Wender (MM2, page 105) I would say yes, but could someone confirm this.

I'm thinking more directly about the Avenger level 3 encounter power Sequestering strike. Teleporting the target 4 square vertically, then yourself adjacent to it.
Could you teleport yourself 3 square vertically and still be adjacent (diagonals in the air)?
Is the teleport precise enough that you could teleport on a tree branch and avoid falling, but possibly giving your ennemy the possibility of grabbing said branch?
Could you teleport above the guy and fall on him?

I know I have strange questions, but the book I buy often bring more (strange) questions then answers.

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
I originally thought no, you can't, but there are apparently monsters that have powers that explicitly say "this power must teleport the target to a square they could normally stand on," which implies that otherwise you can teleport them wherever you want.

Kinda annoying when sometimes the only way to find rules clarifications is by "splatbook" monster powers...

sfedi

First Post
IIRC, WotC was going to issue an "update" about limiting teleport as forced movement, granting saving throws, etc.

But, as far as rules are right now, the answer is Yes.

I do recommend, however, to put some sort of limit to offensive teleportation.

jbear

First Post
Personally, if you were using your eladrin teleport power or warlock power to move upwards to a defensive position (a roof nearby or up a tree etc. then I would allow it with no qualms.

As for using it against enemies... it gets a bit tricky. This could be very easy to abuse, teleporting a monster 30 feet into the air is effectively adding 3d10 to the damage. And usually monsters and PCs have a ST to be able to resist slides off bridges. It seems unfair that teleport should be superior in this regard.

I also have a nagging memory that I read this at the WOTC FAQ and the responsive was negative.

As for you're example of teleporting yourself into the air up alongside the moster. That's actually pretty cool. I imagine you are trained in acrobacy and hoping to roll high enough on your acrobacy check to reduce the 2d10 dmg to something insignificant. I might give the Monster a ST in the air when you appear next to it. If it were to succeed I might rule that he has desperaely grabbed you and negates your ability to land agilely, hence you both crash to the ground, falling prone and taking the full damage... but that's me.

Jhaelen

First Post
I also have a nagging memory that I read this at the WOTC FAQ and the responsive was negative.
Wasn't this even in PHB2? Anyway, I'm pretty sure it doesn't work.

If it should actually work according to RAW, it'll probably not work anymore after the next errata/rule update.

Until then, it's better for everyone's sanity not to allow it.

Engilbrand

First Post
For the record, I love the word "acrobacy". That's pretty epic. Acrobatics isn't nearly as much fun. "Acrobacy" makes it seem like a type of magic.

Dr_Ruminahui

First Post
I discussed this very issue with my gaming group, and we decided on the house rule that:

a) Yes, you can teleport vertically;

b) You can only teleport an involuntary target into a space it can "stand" (so, you can teleport a flying creature from one "air" space to another), but not a non-flying creature into the air; and

c) For voluntary targets, you can teleport them to spaces where they can't stand (so, into thin, for example).

Remove ads