• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can you tell me how to get to Ol’-Skool street?

Nomad4life

First Post
Can you tell me how to get to Ol’-Skool street?

In a fit of nostalgia, our gaming group has decided to run a “classic” D&D game, just like in the days of our misspent youths. You know, a session where a party might be composed of Bonecruncher Hellsmith, Bilbo Strider, Ed The Great, and Lord Death The Merciless.

Because, you know, things were so much fun back then. I mean, things are fun now too, but there was "something unique" about those early days of gaming that we want to try to recapture.

Only problem is, we’re not sure about the “best” way to accomplish this. About half the group wants to dig out the old “Red Box” set that most of us remember, while the other half wants to find a copy of the Rules Cyclopedia, which some of us never even got to play with (and some fear might be “too” complicated.) One guy wants to forgo the “authentic” experience altogether and believes that C&C is more what we’re looking for.

So what do you guys think? What’s the best system to use in order to get that “classic” feel?

Psychic Warrior

First Post
We tried this a few months ago and it wasn't nearly as much fun as I'd hoped. We played X2 Castle Amber and the entire party was wiped out by the poisoned toadstools in the ghostly dining hall. Bummer. Some of the rules really got under our skin, too.

If you were going to try this I would say get Castles & Crusades. From what I have heard it will give you some of that 'old school' flavour you are looking for but still be rooted in the game mechanics you have all become familiar with. Nostalgia is not a kind mistress I can almost guarentee you will be frustrated using the Rules Cyclopedia/'Red Book" rules (they are very similar).

diaglo

Adventurer
rats.. Mark beat me to it.

OD&D(1974) is the only true game. All the other editions are just poor imitations of the real thing.

Odhanan

Adventurer
Well the red box could be used to start, but if you decide to go for a campaign, that may be a tad just after a while. So I'd go with the Rules Cyclopedia - you wouldn't need anything else.

OD&D is a good solution too, if you like to customize and build on the original system to create "your" AD&D.

Awesome!

If you're going for just a few sessions, I'd say just use the red box. But if you think you might be running a extended campaign, I'd say either the rules cyclopedia or castles & crusades.

loki44

Explorer
Go with what you know and what you're already comfortable with. You're trying to recreate a feel, not get bogged down learning a new system. Better yet, play a system that the DM is more comfortable with than the players. Let them learn as they go.....that's half the fun and will help generate that "sense of wonder" type game you're shooting for. For me that would probably be AD&D 1e, for diaglo it's OD&D, for you it may be the red box......

Henry

Autoexreginated
There's something said for "going cheap" going with what most of you still have handy.

If you're looking for something more long-term, I'd go Castles & Crusades - Think the AC, Attack bonuses and DC scores like 3E, the saves like 1E/2E, and classes like 2E. Plus, very compatible with all the old modules. PC generation is VERY quick, a la Basic D&D plus one or two scores, and this is handy if Bonecruncher Hellsmith dies in the first 15 minutes because of a Kobold trap. :)

If I were you, I'd break out the C&C, dust off that Keep on the Borderlands, and start bashing in monster warrens!

Nomad4life said:
Only problem is, we’re not sure about the “best” way to accomplish this.

Find a mad scientist with a ray that can turn you back into 12-year-olds.

I've been thinking a lot about this sort of thing myself recently. And I've come to the unfortunate conclusion that a lot of the magic from "back then" had to do with age, real-world responsibilities (or lack thereof), a child's ability to ignore the nonsensical, and the joy of discovering the game for the first time. Honestly, I don't think it can be recaptured. :(

Or at least, not all of it can be. I, too, wouldn't mind playing in a (very) short-term "Red Box" campaign, so maybe I still hope of recapturing some of it. :heh:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads