• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

can you upgrade magic items?

Mystendanian

First Post
I know you can recharge wands, but is there any rules that talk about upgrading magic items? Say you have a Flaming Longsword +1 and you want to make it a Flaming Longsword +2, spell storing. Would you just pay the difference for another +2 (going from +2 item (+8000 gp) to a +4 item (+32000) = 24,000 gp?

Thanks,

Myst

Treebore

First Post
Mystendanian said:
I know you can recharge wands, but is there any rules that talk about upgrading magic items? Say you have a Flaming Longsword +1 and you want to make it a Flaming Longsword +2, spell storing. Would you just pay the difference for another +2 (going from +2 item (+8000 gp) to a +4 item (+32000) = 24,000 gp?

Thanks,

Myst

Yes, you can, and you have the gist of it. The details are in the DMG in the item creation section.

Treebore

First Post
You can, but the cost of recharging is no different than making a new one with the same amount of charges you are recharging. So you may as well as just make a new one.

Quirhid

First Post
Treebore said:
You can, but the cost of recharging is no different than making a new one with the same amount of charges you are recharging. So you may as well as just make a new one.

Can you recharge staffs too with this method?

Liquidsabre

Explorer
I believe the recharge method is from UA and not from core rules.

As for upgrading items and addign magical abilities to items, you certainly can.

Treebore

First Post
You know, I was looking through the books and I see nothing that specifically says you can or cannot re-charge a wand or staff. It seems to imply that you cannot, but nothing I found specifically stated you can't. Plus the fact there is no mention of rules for recharging would indicate to me that recharging isn't supposed to be done or possible.

Maybe there was something in the 3.0 books, but I doubt it. I don't see why you shouldn't be allowed to re-charge if you are paying the same price you would for a new item with the same number of charges you are recharging.

Either way, it is a DM call as to how they want to do it. As is they are perfectly justified to say you can't recharge a wand or staff. About the only advantage recharging would give you is that it would take proportionately fewer days to get a fully charged wand or staff.

However, the rules specifically state you can upgrade weapons and armor from a +1 to whatever plus your character si capable of making.

Darmanicus

I'm Ray...of Enfeeblement
Upgrade, yes. I think it costs an additional 30%. It's the way to go though when you've only X amount of body slots to use.

Spatula

Explorer
*sigh*
SRD said:
ADDING NEW ABILITIES
A creator can add new magical abilities to a magic item with no restrictions. The cost to do this is the same as if the item was not magical. Thus, a +1 longsword can be made into a +2 vorpal longsword, with the cost to create it being equal to that of a +2 vorpal sword minus the cost of a +1 sword. If the item is one that occupies a specific place on a character’s body the cost of adding any additional ability to that item increases by 50%. For example, if a character adds the power to confer invisibility to her ring of protection +2, the cost of adding this ability is the same as for creating a ring of invisibility multiplied by 1.5.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads