Level Up (A5E) Can you use a bonus action when surprised?

xiphumor

Legend
AG pg. 437:

"If some participants are unaware of others due
to successful attempts to be stealthy, they begin
the encounter surprised. The Narrator calls for
appropriate ability checks to determine whether
participants are aware of each other. Surprised
creatures are unable to move or take an action
on their first turn, and are unable to use a reaction
until after their first turn."

There's no reference to bonus actions, which feels weird to me. Are you able to take bonus actions while surprised?

AG pg. 437:

"If some participants are unaware of others due
to successful attempts to be stealthy, they begin
the encounter surprised. The Narrator calls for
appropriate ability checks to determine whether
participants are aware of each other. Surprised
creatures are unable to move or take an action
on their first turn, and are unable to use a reaction
until after their first turn."

There's no reference to bonus actions, which feels weird to me. Are you able to take bonus actions while surprised?
It doesn't say unable to take a standard action, but an action. A bonus action is an action, so I agree with Morrus and would go for no.

Selganor

Adventurer
There is no "standard action" in A5E, it's just action.

Pity that the specific terms aren't capitalized anymore because then you could more easily distinguish between "Action" and the general "action" (which might include bonus actions) ;)

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
Supporter
It's a common question in 5e as well, and understandable since the sections mention "move" and "action" and "reaction" but not "bonus action." However as has been said here, and elsewhere re: 5e, surprised creatures can't take bonus actions either as bonus actions are a type of action. It makes sense and is definitely the way it's intended and ruled, but the phrasing could be better for 5e and a5e since "a bonus action is a type of action" is really not spelled out clearly anywhere... unless it is, and if so it's easily missed considering the frequency of the question :'D

noodohs

Explorer
The thing is, it's specifically called out in o5e, at least, that you cannot use a bonus action as an action, which would suggest that it is not, in fact, an action. I order to use a bonus action, you must have a bonus action available, not an action. So I would argue the opposite, that it's a separate thing and it should be made clear if surprise interacts with it. This is also relevant for the paralyzed condition (i think?) which doesn't specify that you can't take bonus actions, which seems like an oversight.

Irlo

Hero
The thing is, it's specifically called out in o5e, at least, that you cannot use a bonus action as an action, which would suggest that it is not, in fact, an action. I order to use a bonus action, you must have a bonus action available, not an action. So I would argue the opposite, that it's a separate thing and it should be made clear if surprise interacts with it. This is also relevant for the paralyzed condition (i think?) which doesn't specify that you can't take bonus actions, which seems like an oversight.
In o5e, anything that prevents you from using an action also prevents you from using a bonus action. I don’t know if that applies to A5e.

In the 5e PHB under Bonus Actions in chapter 9 (pg 189) it says "You choose when to take a bonus action during your turn, unless the bonus action's timing is specified, and anything that deprives you of your ability to take actions also prevents you from taking a bonus action."

I wasn't able to find a similar rule in the A5e Adventurer's Guide or Trials & Treasure.

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
Supporter
In the 5e PHB under Bonus Actions in chapter 9 (pg 189) it says "You choose when to take a bonus action during your turn, unless the bonus action's timing is specified, and anything that deprives you of your ability to take actions also prevents you from taking a bonus action."

I wasn't able to find a similar rule in the A5e Adventurer's Guide or Trials & Treasure.
Thank you for citing the rule in the book! Very much appreciated.

Remove ads