• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Canada Ranks the Star Trek Movies!

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
Baraendur said:
I'm not as thrilled with IV as a lot of people are. When I go to see a Star Trek movie, I really want to see the characters interracting with their universe, not ours. It was watered down scifi that was entirely too preachy.[/I]
I feel the exact same way. I mean, I like the film an' all. But when
compared to the rest of the TOS movies, it ranks only higher than
Final Frontier and that's just because it's so sloppy filmmaking (I love
the whole 'God' angle of the movie.

aliensex

First Post
Frankly, I just don't think they were able to make as good a movie with the TNG cast. They just don't have the same chemistry as the original cast IMO. Unfortunately, the question is, where do the Trek movies go from here? There is rumour that the TNG cast may make another movie, but even so I don't see them doing that (and if they do, it would probably be the absolute last). So who is next? A Voyager movie? Not likely, now that they are home, they aren't that interesting (unless they through in another Borg war, that could work), and I REEEEEAAAALLLY don't see the Enterprise cast pulling off a movie.

Fyrie

Explorer
I dunno if anyone is with me on this, but the recent version of ST:TMP has turned it from one of my least favorites to one of my favorites.

Holy Bovine

First Post
aliensex said:
Frankly, I just don't think they were able to make as good a movie with the TNG cast. They just don't have the same chemistry as the original cast IMO.
Exactly. The orignal cast came across as good friends even when not on the Enterprise. The TNG crew worked well together and respected each other but I always got the feeling they never got together when not on board the Enterprise. Even during the shows run this was emphazied often by individual crew memebers taking leave by themselves, Picard never joining the rest of the crew for poker except in the last season (I think it was even the last episode - too little far too late at that point). It a shaem really because the TNG actors, I feel, were certainly more skilled than the original cast (most notable Stewart and Spiner) but they coudl never seem to get that chemisty on the big screen.

What's next for Star Trek? I wish I knew. The fan base seems to be becoming disenfranchised but there are excellent sci-fi shows being made all the time but can't get audiences because everyone is busy watching re-runs of TNG for the 50th time :rolleyes: Just turn the channel people - watch something other than the drek passing itself off as Star Trek now and you may be surprised. Farscape, Firefly and even Babylon 5 deserved better than they got - excellent casts, fun and inspired writing and just damn good TV all 'rewarded' by being killed before their time due to poor ratings (I realize that B5 was onyl meant to have a 5 year arc but remember this was trucated and harmed by the uncertainty of whether they would have a season 5 or not).

LightPhoenix

First Post
2, 4, 6, and 8 are my favs, though I don't own any of them and only really watch them if I'm flipping through TV and see them on.

As for spoilers, in the wide world of video games, usually between 12-18 months after a game comes out, spoilers are acceptable unmarked. After that period, it really is the responsibility of the reader to avoid spoilers, and I believe the same thing applies to movies.

John Crichton

First Post
LightPhoenix said:
As for spoilers, in the wide world of video games, usually between 12-18 months after a game comes out, spoilers are acceptable unmarked. After that period, it really is the responsibility of the reader to avoid spoilers, and I believe the same thing applies to movies.
That is news to me. I also don't agree with it. At least on messageboards, SPOILER tags are there for a reason. Or maybe its just me. I'm talking about big spoilers (think "The 6th Sense"), mind you. Not piddly little plot elements that are usually seen in trailers, commercials and the like.

kingpaul

First Post
Fyrie said:
I dunno if anyone is with me on this, but the recent version of ST:TMP has turned it from one of my least favorites to one of my favorites.
New version of the The Motion Picture? I'm confused on what you mean.

Remove ads