Canned food recall - Botulism

Roadkill101

Explorer
I wonder if she would have let you eat it and avoided it herself?

For some reason she thought I knew about the recall already.

Letting me eat it wouldn't have done her much good, my life insurance policy isn't all that great. :lol:

So what is this stuff? I had an old woman come into the store today asking about if the library had computers to look up Botulism. Then I find this.

So again....what is it? Sounds like a eating disorder.

Nyaricus

First Post
megamania said:
So what is this stuff? I had an old woman come into the store today asking about if the library had computers to look up Botulism. Then I find this.

So again....what is it? Sounds like a eating disorder.
It's a type of bacteria formed with improperly sealed cans. It can cause death if ingested and is one of the deadliest forms of food-borne illnesses.

Also, Botox injections use it in plastic surgery (to explain BOZ's reference)

cheers,
--N

Jesus_marley

First Post
botulism is a bacteria that can get into food products. the bacteria produces a toxin that affects the central nervous system causing paralysis and possible death (due to a shutdown of the respiratory system).

The paralytic effects have been studied and have since been utilised by the beauty industry. A dermatologist or plastic surgeon, will inject minute amounts of the toxin directly into muscle tissue (usually in the facial region around the eyes and forehead). the muscles in these areas become paralysed, relax, and reduce facial wrinkles. The effects are temporary, and a new dose needs to be injected every few months or so.

EDIT: Nyaricus beat me to it. damn longwindedness.....

Nyaricus said:
It's a type of bacteria formed with improperly sealed cans. It can cause death if ingested and is one of the deadliest forms of food-borne illnesses.

Also, Botox injections use it in plastic surgery (to explain BOZ's reference)

cheers,
--N

Improperly Treated.

As someone who works in the Food Manufacturing Industry (though not Meat Processing), I'm amazed that this could happen.

Canning a Pretty Simple Process, Heat the Cans to X Degrees for Y Minutes & Everything is dead,

The number of Easy Failsafes you should have built in (plus testing, plus complicated fail safes) should make the chances of this happening non-existant.

I'm curious to see what the FDA finds out when they get done inspecting that factory.

After all the recent food recalls (and the Mega Bucks associated with it), any company that hasn't tightened its production quality up is just asking for it.

I'm guessing they failed to follow some basic protocols for some stupid reason.

Roadkill101

Explorer
When I was in Desert Storm (well technically it was still the Desert Shield operation), the Army was doing voluntary testing with a Botulism vaccine. Which is how I came to know that Botulism is a serious bacteria based food poisoning resulting from canned foods, I don't recall if we were told what kind of symptoms or how Botulism affected the body.

I was one of those who volunteered. Recieved two of what were supposed to be a series of three shots spread out over a lenght of time I no longer recall. Hmmm, that might explain some of whats wrong with me...... :lol:

One of those two shots was the most painful I've ever experienced. I've never been one to be bothered by getting a shot, except for Novacaine at the dentists, because those ones pinch something fierce when initially administered. I much prefer getting one from the dentist. Still felt the one for Botulism after a week had passed, definitely an experience I'd have skipped had I known how painful before hand.

D.Shaffer

First Post
*blinks at the recall notice. Stares at the empty can of stew in the trash, then the 7 other cans in the pantry*

Lovely... :\ Well, I'm not dead or experiencing respiratory issues yet, so it looks like I didnt get a bad can, but I wish I knew about this before I went shopping a few weeks back.

Remove ads