can't find a general equipment pic

Guang

Explorer
Hey everyone. So I'm prepping for my game and I realize that one of my players is not about to read through the general equipment list when he gets equipment for his PC - he's pretty young, lots of big words and all that. I was thinking that I needed a graphic to help. I figure weapons and armor are easy, but general stuff like 10-foot poles, candles, crowbars and tents would go over better if I could pass them some kind of picture. I've been looking through my books and google searching, but haven't found quite what I'm looking for yet. Has anyone run across something that would work?

Thanks.

(if it matters, I'm using the equipment list on page 29 of Swords & Wizardry complete - so basically OSR MacGyvering equipment.)

No, not really. I remember the D&D PHB in various editions have had different equipment pictures. But that may not help.

I would just create a couple of packs of pre-defined equipment (such as explorer, priest, tracker, outdoorsman, etc) and just have him pick one of those. You can even be so generous as to not fully define it and when playing if he needs something that would likely be typical for the type of equipment he chose just say it's in there.

Guang

Explorer
Lord: Thanks for the advice. I'm streamlining everything else possible this time around, so will definitely keep that in mind!
PDZ: Exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

How young are your players that you need flashcards for things like candles?

They don't have to be young. They could also be native to a different language (lots of the things in an adventurer's kit would be advanced vocab) or have a reading disorder like dyslexia that makes it hard to scan the list quickly. Actually, I think having graphics of a standard kit is a great idea to help anyone get into tabletop games who might be overwhelmed by the amount of bookkeeping that happens on any character sheet beyond 5th level.

Personally, I have a text file of all the different mundane equipment lists that I like my characters to start with. I've built it over years, and some versions are over a page long. But it's easy to forget that the list of mundane adventurer's equipment is supposed to be just that - mundane. Keeping track of piles of gear like that can be a major barrier to entry for someone starting out in the hobby, regardless of their age.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I've run and played in quite a few different systems over the past 20 years, including Earthdawn and MERP, and and I invariably come back to D&D. For sheer flexibility, I don't think it can be beat.

For my current 5e Primeval Thule (a Sword & Sorcery style campaign setting that bills itself as "Conan Meets Cthulhu") I required all PCs to be human and disallowed casters aside from warlocks. When necessary I use charms (such as those in the 5e DMG p. 228), and "non-magical" variations on magic items (an alchemical salve functionally identical to Keoghtom's Ointment, for example, which the party warlock can make using the item creation rules in the DMG). I find the easy modularity of 5e (comparable in my mind to 2e) very conducive to making whatever changes I feel the need to, and I'm lucky enough to have players who are totally on board with my conceits and assumptions.

Remove ads