• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Can't remember what its called

Xellous

First Post
First off, I'm in a group that is currently way too overpowered as the current DM just loves to give away uber weapons. I will be taking over next session and I want to strip my players of there way over powered magic items. I remember reading somewhere and seeing and creature that can suck the magic from things, thus removing all special abilities. I know it looks kinda like a deer and was in black and white but I can't remember what it is.

Thanks

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Uh, don't know. Maybe a swarm of Rust Monsters would be handy, though?

mikebr99

Explorer
Just drop...
Mage’s Disjunction
Abjuration
Level: Magic 9, Sor/Wiz 9
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Area: All magical effects and magic items within a 40-ft.-radius burst
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will negates (object)
Spell Resistance: No
All magical effects and magic items within the radius of the spell, except for those that you carry or touch, are disjoined. That is, spells and spell-like effects are separated into their individual components (ending the effect as a dispel magic spell does), and each permanent magic item must make a successful Will save or be turned into a normal item. An item in a creature’s possession uses its own Will save bonus or its possessor’s Will save bonus, whichever is higher. You also have a 1% chance per caster level of destroying an antimagic field. If the antimagic field survives the disjunction, no items within it are disjoined.
Even artifacts are subject to disjunction, though there is only a 1% chance per caster level of actually affecting such powerful items. Additionally, if an artifact is destroyed, you must make a DC 25 Will save or permanently lose all spellcasting abilities. (These abilities cannot be recovered by mortal magic, not even miracle or wish.)
Note: Destroying artifacts is a dangerous business, and it is 95% likely to attract the attention of some powerful being who has an interest in or connection with the device.
... on them

It'll go over just as well.

Mike

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Well, a Rust Monster swarm would get rid of the metal -- Swords, shields, armors, rings. Mord's Diss will get rid of all of their magic items. Each will have limited effects, though. They'll make some saves, I'm sure.

Finster

First Post
I think it was (or is) called a disenchanter. I remember the old (AD&D) Fiend Folio had it. I don't know if it was reprinted or not, and if so which book it might be in. Try the Necromancer Games Tome of Horrors it might be in there.

mikebr99

Explorer
Xellous said:
Well I didn't want to leave them naked, just with ordinary items.
Then you need to sit down with them and go through their items to get their assets down to the the right level... they are changing DMs... they should expect other changes also.

Mike

Lasher Dragon

First Post
There is also a rod somewhere that shoots out a grey beam IIRC that pretty much strips magic items of their magic. Slap that on an enemy... at least that way, you can be more specific about what is/is not destroyed.

Of course, you could be a real bastage and do the typical "You wake up with most/all of yer good stuff missing" and start a new campaign based on the hope of tracking the missing gear down (even if it will be a fruitless effort).

Remove ads