Can't use "monster", claw designs, parallel lines, or green and black colors

Looks like Monster Energy is trying to go after a gaming studio for using the word "monster" in its game title. I would assume that it would be hard for them to actually win this case as the word monster isn't something you could put a trademark on. At lest that's my assumption... but what do I know. Would they technically be able to go after anyone using the word "monster" or any variation. For example, would they be able to go after WoTC/Hasbro for the Monster Manual?

Any way, I would think being this heavy-handed would lead to some pretty terrible publicity for Monster Energy.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
This is an extremely stupid suit. Nothing about Dark Deception: Monsters & Mortals looks like Monster Energy at all. I was expecting a triple claw mark and a neon green logo on a black background, but there's nothing like that in evidence.

This will almost certainly get kicked and hopefully the judge will find a way to smack the company for filing a nuisance suit like this.

Sacrosanct

Legend
"Glowstick won’t be able to use or register any other trademarks that include the words monster(s), or variations like monsta, monstrous, or monstrosity. Monster-adjacent words - such as beast and unleash - are also off the table."

That's nonsense. If if Glowstick wins, I think the best message would be if gamers stopped buying Monster drinks. Gamers are pretty good at uniting behind causes against corporate greed. That's the only way they'd get the message.

"Glowstick won’t be able to use or register any other trademarks that include the words monster(s), or variations like monsta, monstrous, or monstrosity. Monster-adjacent words - such as beast and unleash - are also off the table."

That's nonsense. If if Glowstick wins, I think the best message would be if gamers stopped buying Monster drinks. Gamers are pretty good at uniting behind causes against corporate greed. That's the only way they'd get the message.
If Glowstick wins? I would say the best thing is if gamers stopped buying now and show Monster Energy this is ridiculousness that is going to affect their image with the gamer community before there is any real legal action happening. Maybe that'll make them less likely to keep doing this type of thing in the future.

I mean, why not? Their claim against the game studio seems pretty ridiculous. They want to prohibit them from using '... a “design consisting of multiple, substantially parallel lines,”...'

Ryujin

Legend
Because what an energy drink company wants to do is get into a tussle with WotC/Hasbro over the "Monster Manual", which predates the drink as a trademark by some decades....
And claws. I guess Marvel is going to have to shelve their concepts for the covers of "Wolverine" :ROFLMAO:

Remove ads