• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Cantrips

Paraxis

Explorer
Its a cantrip. They can cast it before each and every skill check a party member makes (except in the middle of combat, then the action to cast the spell kicks in and limits it).

Rogue checks for trap. Guided.
Bard makes a performance. Guided.
Paladin questions a demon. Guided.
Ranger tracks a goat. Guided.
etc...

I see it more as a roleplaying opportunity for the cleric.

May Pelor guide your hands to keep us safe as you disarm this deadly trap.
By the grace of Pelor you shall perform your best tonight dear friend.
With the light of Pelor this demon shall hold nothing back from from you.
Pelor will provide may your efforts to feed us be blessed.

If you only ask for rolls when it matters, and not trivial tasks, guidance makes much more sense.

Don't forget anyone can use the help maneuver and give advantage on all those rolls as well, and that doesn't need a spell.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I, on the other hand, wish someone would take the cantrip "Guidance" out and have it shot. It's a permanant +1D4 on every skill check EVER.

It really isn't. Here are some examples of skill checks it doesn't help with, or at best checks where it could only help with one person (though usually it will help with zero for these examples):

The ship rocks on the wave, everyone make a Dex (Acrobatics) check to remain standing.
You're all half-way up the cliff as the Roc swoops nearer, everyone make another Str (Athletics) check to climb to the top before it arrives.
The log rolls down the passageway, everyone make a Str (Athletics) check to jump it.
Since the whole party is trying to move stealthily past the guard, everyone make a Dex (Stealth) check.
The dragon spooks your horses, everyone make a Wisdom (Animal Handling) check.
You head down the corridor trying to spot the invisible foe you know must be near, everyone to make a Wis (Perception) check.

It's a fine cantrip for situations where 1) you know you are about to make a skill check, and 2) have time to cast the cantrip before the skill check will be made, and 3) only one person needs to make the skill check and not all at once.

For any situation that falls outside any of those three situations, it doesn't really help much.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
I agree with the roleplaying aspect of it...however I think the result is too powerful for a cantrip.

Bards (who should epitomize assisting others with their powers) can add 1d6 to skill/attacks AT MOST 5 times a day. Clerics/Druids can add 1d4 to skill checks every round of every day.

And this bonus to the die roll is just compounded with the cleric being able to help in the skill check. A cleric/druid helping you track a goat gives you +3 to +6 on your skill roll. Anyone else is a flat +2.

It's too much bonus or too often for the flat math. I could live with a +1 infinitely, or a +1d4 as a 1st level spell. (Bless but skills instead of attacks)

Spooner6

First Post
I personally don't like the combat cantrips. I every time the Mage sits back and uses this ability I can only think of this " lightning bolt" video.

http://youtu.be/j_ekugPKqFw

I prefer the cantrips as minor magic tricks and not repeating attacks. This is just my opinion.

Dausuul

Legend
I see it more as a roleplaying opportunity for the cleric.

May Pelor guide your hands to keep us safe as you disarm this deadly trap.
By the grace of Pelor you shall perform your best tonight dear friend.
With the light of Pelor this demon shall hold nothing back from from you.
Pelor will provide may your efforts to feed us be blessed.

If you only ask for rolls when it matters, and not trivial tasks, guidance makes much more sense.

Don't forget anyone can use the help maneuver and give advantage on all those rolls as well, and that doesn't need a spell.
What's "roleplaying" the first time becomes "meaningless rote repetition" the seventeenth.

keterys

First Post
I'll second killing Guidance.

Though I'd be okay if instead it followed the rest of the system and gave advantage. After all, that would just be a pre-emptive assist, which anyone can give. Instead we get all those checks, except guided _and_ assisted.

the Jester

Legend
I think 5e expects wizards to use their cantrips for more than just 'role playing' (though they are good for that). The combat cantrips can carry quite a bit of load for a low level wizard. And quite a bit of practical utility can be squeezed out of some of the others.

Yeah, the wizard in my 5e game uses cantrips until the chips are down. They're at-will attack spells, and while they're low damage, they're still good enough if you're at the back of the party and the line is holding.

I, on the other hand, wish someone would take the cantrip "Guidance" out and have it shot. It's a permanant +1D4 on every skill check EVER.

Only if you never, ever want to concentrate on a different spell.

Emka

First Post
The wizard in my group had the rogue wrap a metal chain around a fearsome enemy and then used Shocking Grasp on it from 15 feet away. It was pretty much game over for the bugbear at that point.
And yes, I treated it as wearing metal armor for the damage roll :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads