• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Caprica: Prequel :spoilers:

DonTadow

First Post
It was released Tuesday and was surprised there's no thread on it yet. I liked it a lot and I thought I wasn't going to enjoy it much from the preview. It turned out to be completely different from the (two missing children) commercials. The commercials made me think it was going to be SUV in a future society.

It answered a few questiosn pertaining to the origin of the cylons and their original intention and explained the differences between the gods better than the show ever did for me. I'm curious where they can go with this series though. How will they change up the history that is told by the battlestar crew to what really happened. Will other crew members as children show up.

Andre

First Post
My reaction was quite different - I found the story uncompelling, cliched, and incomplete. As a stand-alone dvd, it was lacking, IMO. It had the feel of a teaser, something designed to draw people into the series. But in that case, I'm very disappointed they released it as a dvd, instead of making it the first episode of the series.

Pesonally, I wish Netflix had sent my first choice (Frost/Nixon) rather than this one. Caprica could easily have waited until there's a series to watch.

catsclaw227

First Post
I found it quite enjoyable. It was not as "soap opera" as some predicted, it had some interesting setups for the series and I like the different backstories.

And many of the DVD scenes won't make it to the SciFi (SyFy?) channel anyway, so I'm glad I saw the DVD first.

[sblock]I knew there was something strange about the Sister of Athena the first time I saw her. And her perception of jihad was creepy too.

Also, with Zoe Graystone being a monotheist, and the final scene of the DVD, helps explain the cylon's montheistic beliefs.[/sblock]

I hadn't perceived the Taurans as originally portrayed as a poor, hardworking nation(?) that was built around a clan or mob family style society.

Is there something online that describes the original 12 colonies, derived from elements of the BSG series? What are all the relationships between the colonies, what are each like and what are their individual tolerances? It would be neat to see a relationship map similar to the racial preferences table from page 18 of my AD&D PHB.

I am looking forward to getting the sound track already. ;)

I found it interesting and entertaining. I am looking forward for the real series. I still don't know really how the series will progress and what themes it will discuss, but so far I want to see more.

[sblock]
I think it answered some interesting question, for example how the Cylons could come to their monotheistic belief - it started with a human!

It also shows what Baltars off-hand comment in the BSG mini-series about "Ban on AI research" meant - a lot of technology was given up!
[/sblock]

DonTadow

First Post
I found it quite enjoyable. It was not as "soap opera" as some predicted, it had some interesting setups for the series and I like the different backstories.

And many of the DVD scenes won't make it to the SciFi (SyFy?) channel anyway, so I'm glad I saw the DVD first.

[sblock]I knew there was something strange about the Sister of Athena the first time I saw her. And her perception of jihad was creepy too.

Also, with Zoe Graystone being a monotheist, and the final scene of the DVD, helps explain the cylon's montheistic beliefs.[/sblock]

I hadn't perceived the Taurans as originally portrayed as a poor, hardworking nation(?) that was built around a clan or mob family style society.

Is there something online that describes the original 12 colonies, derived from elements of the BSG series? What are all the relationships between the colonies, what are each like and what are their individual tolerances? It would be neat to see a relationship map similar to the racial preferences table from page 18 of my AD&D PHB.
I really felt like an idiot after watching this show, because from the series, i really didn't get how diverse the 12 colonies were. The show was always so dense. This movie really helped me figure it out. Go to the wiki page for the show and you'll find a brief synopsis of how the colonies relate to one another on both the new and old show. I found it a really good companion piece to this.

I really felt like an idiot after watching this show, because from the series, i really didn't get how diverse the 12 colonies were. The show was always so dense. This movie really helped me figure it out. Go to the wiki page for the show and you'll find a brief synopsis of how the colonies relate to one another on both the new and old show. I found it a really good companion piece to this.

There is a Battlestar Galactica RPG. I never quite got the appeal, the setting seems too tight and I wouldn't feel comfortable with running a campaign on Galactica.

But Caprica? Or rather the 12 Colonies?

That's brilliant. I think it could be a perfect "modern" setting - it can have most of the tropes of the real world, but you can ignore most baggage that you might not like from the real world.

If you wanted, you could even use it to replace Earth in many other genres. You could make a Superhero game that is based on the 12 Colonies. You could run Dark*Matter campaign on the 12 Colonies.

I wonder how well the show does. I can't believe it will survive for long. But I would actually love to this show making the entire BSG world into a franchise where to set multiple series...
If that fails, the general idea of using a human civilization not set on Earth or coming from Earth could be reused.

BrooklynKnight

First Post
For the record, according to an article at io9.com the concept for this pilot was not originally Caprica. It was a completly unique show about some guy creating AI or something, and the guys at Sci decided they could shoehorn it into the BSGverse...

Moore and Eick came out to even more applause and described the inception of “Caprica.” It was brought to them by NBC Universal as an independent non-“BSG” series pitched by Remi Aubuchon; because of its artificial intelligence-heavy plotline, the three thought it might make an interesting collaboration and a distinctly different way of continuing the themes of “BSG” within a very different show structure.

Blink - ‘Caprica’ Stands on Its Own at PaleyFest - TVWeek - Blogs

Remove ads