D&D 5E Capricious Home Rules and DM Pet Peeves

First, I just have to disabuse the notion that Frodo could just jump on an eagle and fly to Mount Doom. As soon as they got within a few miles of Mordor they would be spotted by Sauron's Eye and torn to shreds by The Nine on their own flying mounts. There was a reason they sneaked in on the ground.

As for pet peeves, I don't like the new "Do-whatever-you-want" Paladin. Chaotic Neutral Paladins running around beating the crap out of whoever they don't like, ignoring people in need and stealing anything not bolted to the floor (and even some things that are) are not Paladins.

I also don't like the portrayal of the old Lawful Good Paladins as stuck up jerks. Just because they won't let you run around beating people up and stealing everything in sight doesn't make them jerks. They are just trying to stop you from being one.

A true Paladin doesn't ride into a town and demand respect and deference from the townsfolk. That is not a paladin, that is a jerk noble. A Paladin that rides into town is certainly viewed with admiration and may be offered assistance, but a true Paladin will politely refuse and ask what he or she can do for them. They are dedicated to serving the greater good, not themselves.

Anyway, yeah. Paladins have lost their shine in this edition. The Lawful Good requirement was an asset, not a limitation.
Look again at the descriptions of the paladin oaths. They're still powered by service to the greater good. Chaotic Neutral paladins have to toe the same line as Lawful Good ones. I find the potential for dissonance between oathsworn duty and inner nature to be fascinating.

Igwilly

First Post
First, I just have to disabuse the notion that Frodo could just jump on an eagle and fly to Mount Doom. As soon as they got within a few miles of Mordor they would be spotted by Sauron's Eye and torn to shreds by The Nine on their own flying mounts. There was a reason they sneaked in on the ground.

As for pet peeves, I don't like the new "Do-whatever-you-want" Paladin. Chaotic Neutral Paladins running around beating the crap out of whoever they don't like, ignoring people in need and stealing anything not bolted to the floor (and even some things that are) are not Paladins.

I also don't like the portrayal of the old Lawful Good Paladins as stuck up jerks. Just because they won't let you run around beating people up and stealing everything in sight doesn't make them jerks. They are just trying to stop you from being one.

A true Paladin doesn't ride into a town and demand respect and deference from the townsfolk. That is not a paladin, that is a jerk noble. A Paladin that rides into town is certainly viewed with admiration and may be offered assistance, but a true Paladin will politely refuse and ask what he or she can do for them. They are dedicated to serving the greater good, not themselves.

Anyway, yeah. Paladins have lost their shine in this edition. The Lawful Good requirement was an asset, not a limitation.

That's what I was saying. In 4e they lost their shine too, although, in this case, he could have another name and things would be just fine.
I just think that specific old-school restrictions and punishments were too severe: they are mortals, they make mistakes, too. I already wrote here my opinions about the Paladin, but it got lost in the thread. I still have them somewhere.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
9) Evil Outsiders and killing them. This is a big one that always made me boggle. Devils for instance can only die in the Nine Hells, where they live? If I was immortal except for one particular zip code, I would make a real point of never, ever visiting that zip code much less making it my base of operations. It would logically mean that Devils spent their entire time rampaging and conquering outside of the Hells, as there is little consequence for dying outside of it, and a great deal of consequence for getting caught slipping on your home turf. I have it so fiends perish permanently in Celestia, and are sometime vulnerable on the Prime as well, such as say Halloween or the campaign equivalent thereof. Taking a page from the Dresden Files, I make certain mystical times of the year or events where fiends can be permanently slain/imprisoned, but there is also the opportunity for them to increase their power or gain access to the mortal realm to further their schemes as rationale for why they would take the risk.

Except, if they are defeatred outside the Nine Hell, when they reform in the 9Hs what will they find? Perhaps they will be immediately killed or enslaved by more powerful devils who stayed and built up a base of power there. Consider that all Devils are constantly scheming for power, it would be very dangerous to stay away from the 9Hs for too long.

Gwarok

Explorer
Consider that all Devils are constantly scheming for power, it would be very dangerous to stay away from the 9Hs for too long.

That's all certainly true, but while evil and back stabbing, devils are organized evil. Less Mad Max, more Nazi Germany. Seeing as how tempting and corrupting mortals is in their job description, I imagine they have some rules about being able to go do that stuff without having to come back and find all your domain over run with competitors. Otherwise they'd never leave home to go do their work.

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
Very interesting you mentioned the "critical fail on a natural 1."

That's actually not the heart of the idea I was sharing, and I think playing with critical fails (and critical successes) is just one style of play. A gradient success / failure with interesting consequences is the heart of the idea I was sharing, and more interesting to me.

Ironically, it was my players who requested critical failures be a thing in the game, and even created massive crit fail tables completely of their own volition and requested I implement them.

Just goes to show you different strokes for different folks!

Yeah, my players over the years have always assumed a 1 is a critical failure for skill checks too.

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
Except, if they are defeatred outside the Nine Hell, when they reform in the 9Hs what will they find? Perhaps they will be immediately killed or enslaved by more powerful devils who stayed and built up a base of power there. Consider that all Devils are constantly scheming for power, it would be very dangerous to stay away from the 9Hs for too long.

Agreed. And in my campaign, a fiend that is killed outside its plane runs the risk of reforming as a lesser type of fiend when they are "reborn" in the 9H. More importantly, though, there's a purpose for it. Gaining power in the 9H is achieved by bringing more souls to the 9H. That's almost impossible to do from the 9H, so they have a reason to be elsewhere. Gaining access to the Prime plane requires somebody to summon them, or open an avenue for them to enter, they can't do it on their own. So sometimes they get pulled from the 9H without their consent, so to speak. But once they are there, they do everything they can to corrupt souls or gain more permanent access to the Prime plane.

tuxedoraptor

First Post
necroposting but this is a great thread, my group has been together for quite a few years so a lot of our rules aren't written down and are just something we know instinctually, so trying to put them into words will be difficult.

Anything the players can do, the gamemaster can do
if you minmax your character to the extreme and dig through sourcebooks for weeks before making a character, I, as a gamemaster am going to drag out the most horrendously broken and absurd monsters I can find and have them ignore the non optimized players and solely go after the optimizer under the rationalization of them being a worthy opponent.

If you use common sense and don't metagame, you won't die, if you get screwed over by unlucky rolls, I might give you some lenience if it makes the story continue. My players over the years have found out that the world around them is alive, they will bump into creatures twice as strong as they are occasionally and sometimes; I know this is a huge shock to all you murderhobos, they aren't interested in fighting you, so don't draw swords and ready spells the moment you see a monster, try to talk first and see what it wants; most sentient beings are naturally reluctant to throw themselves into a combat situation. Cover,concealment,NPCs and items are another thing; they aren't just there for scenery or flavor, make use of them. If you want to take down an army with superior numbers, don't just charge into combat, use guerilla tactics and espionage. If you can roleplay well enough you can automatically succeed on a diplomacy check, but if you want to just roll dice thats fine, but remember, NPCs are living things too, if a village is being attacked by a monster, chances are the villagers are pretty unhappy with it and if given the chance, they would probably help out. Doors, curtains,lamps,chairs,tables, even pillows and beer mugs can be used in combat. That loose cobblestone I off handedly remarked about earlier? That can be used to your advantage, its pretty hard to fight when you trip on a loose stone and faceplant into the ground.

Players who I can trust can play evil characters, I don't pick favorites, I just know who can be subtle and who is going to be the joker.

If you have an issue with another player, me or a rule in the game, pull me aside after the session and tell me so, I will handle it and keep my eye on that person. Do not disrupt the game over it

Anthropomorphic races are banned, dragonfolk are okay but humanoid animals aren't.

Do. Not. Make. Your. Character. Alone. This is a massive no no at my tables, if you are making a character, you are sitting with the group and talking it through, you will be required to give some backstory and if I feel its reasonable, you may get rewarded, but thats only for backgrounds I think are above average. My players do have a problem though "too many character ideas, not enough time" They can spend weeks trying to figure out what to play if I don't offer them decent thematic options. They tend to try way too hard to avoid stepping on eachothers toes, to the point that one player didn't want to play a monk because someone else in the party also didn't wear armor.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Anthropomorphic races are banned, dragonfolk are okay but humanoid animals aren't.

My current campaign is like this, but my next campaign will be Curse of Straud and I plan to allow any race/class combo in the PHB, Volos, and Xanathar's.

Both approaches can be fun. It is nice to have a group that's been playing together long enough that you can agree to play different styles. [/QUOTE]

Do. Not. Make. Your. Character. Alone. This is a massive no no at my tables, if you are making a character, you are sitting with the group and talking it through, you will be required to give some backstory and if I feel its reasonable, you may get rewarded, but thats only for backgrounds I think are above average. My players do have a problem though "too many character ideas, not enough time" They can spend weeks trying to figure out what to play if I don't offer them decent thematic options. They tend to try way too hard to avoid stepping on eachothers toes, to the point that one player didn't want to play a monk because someone else in the party also didn't wear armor.

I agree, that were possible, it is best to have a session 0, where you make characters together.

Not always possible (e.g., public Adventurer's League games), some VTT games, etc.

But, one issue with making your characters together, you end up with standard party compositions. Sometimes it can be fun to play "Four Clerics Save the Word" or "Three Paladins and a Thief."

Remove ads