• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Car and appliance problems.

My car has a radiator leak, I believe. It overheated on the way to a friend's game, and I filled it with a fresh gallon of coolant to help it make the rest of the way, and after being parked for 4 hours it had leaked that coolant right back out onto the pavement. I couldn't see a hole, but I could definitely see green liquid clinging to the underside of the car beneath the radiator.

Thankfully I usually walk to work anyway, and I have Thursday afternoon off, so I left the car at my friend's place, and will try to get it looked at Thursday.

Also, when I turned the car on at the end of the evening to check if it, the radiator fan didn't run, so I don't know if it's damaged too, or if, I dunno, the fan normally stays off until the car has been on X amount of time. Anyone familiar with cars have any insights?

Also, on a less pressing issue, I just moved into a new apartment, and got a washer/dryer cheap from a friend ($200 for the pair; great price, but it's not helping me look forward to auto repair bills). The dryer's installed and vented, and works fine. The washer I hooked up with hot water and cold water, but then there's this third hose, which I suppose is the outlet for the water when it's done.

Now, idiot me, I never paid attention to the hoses before. This is my first washer. I see there's, like, a hole in the wall between the hot and cold water spigots and this third hose fits down it, but it doesn't screw on or anything, and I'm worried of doing something stupid and getting water all in the laundry room.

Normally I'd just research online, but ugh, it's been a frustrating evening. If someone could please tell me what to do with that hose, I'd be immensely grateful.

Pbartender

First Post
My car has a radiator leak, I believe. It overheated on the way to a friend's game, and I filled it with a fresh gallon of coolant to help it make the rest of the way, and after being parked for 4 hours it had leaked that coolant right back out onto the pavement. I couldn't see a hole, but I could definitely see green liquid clinging to the underside of the car beneath the radiator.

Thankfully I usually walk to work anyway, and I have Thursday afternoon off, so I left the car at my friend's place, and will try to get it looked at Thursday.

Also, when I turned the car on at the end of the evening to check if it, the radiator fan didn't run, so I don't know if it's damaged too, or if, I dunno, the fan normally stays off until the car has been on X amount of time. Anyone familiar with cars have any insights?

I recently fixed a radiator leak, so I might have a little insight...

Do you have a check engine light? Usually, if you have a problem with the fan or coolant, you'll have one. Get it scanned, and get the code. That'll tell you where to start.

Next, look for crusty build up around the radiator and coolant hoses. Most modern coolants are designed to leave a residue behind to make it easier to find leaks. Check all the hose and where they connect carefully -- it's easy for them to develop a small hole or crack or a have a loose clamp. The leaks don't always show unless the engine's hot, and there's pressure in the coolant system.

That's a start... Find the leak.

Now, idiot me, I never paid attention to the hoses before. This is my first washer. I see there's, like, a hole in the wall between the hot and cold water spigots and this third hose fits down it, but it doesn't screw on or anything, and I'm worried of doing something stupid and getting water all in the laundry room.

Normally I'd just research online, but ugh, it's been a frustrating evening. If someone could please tell me what to do with that hose, I'd be immensely grateful.

Our drain hose just clips on to the side of our basement utility sink, and drains into that. I've never lived in a house with such a hole, so I couldn't tell you.

LightPhoenix

First Post
Our drain hose just clips on to the side of our basement utility sink, and drains into that. I've never lived in a house with such a hole, so I couldn't tell you.

It's basically a dedicated drain for the washer. It's a slight improvement over running the outlet into the sink, since sinks can easily be blocked by something like a stray sponge and overflow. I think the reasoning behind plumbing it that way is that since you're running copper pipe to supply water, you may as well run a drain pipe (PVC, or in some places cast iron) for it as well. They sometimes have clips to hold them on, and sometimes not. Most newer washers are designed to regulate the outflow so as to avoid the pipe flailing around. However, you can get clips or clamps for the outlet hose at any local hardware store, and they're very easy to install (a couple of screws).

I've watched way too much This Old House. :p

Ceramicwombat

Explorer
Publisher
Not sure about the washer hose, but the first thing you should check on your car is the coolant hose. When the car is cool, check the coolant hose for cracks or bulges. Second, check the radiator or reservoir cap. Many caps have an internal spring holding a gasket in place. If this gasket corrodes or the spring is old, the cap can't contain the pressure of the heated coolant as it should, and the coolant boils over. Once the coolant boils over once, an air bubble can develop in the system and this will prevent the coolant from flowing even if you refill the reservoir. So give this a shot:

1. Check the gasket on the reservoir cap for corrosion. If the rubber looks cracked, replace it (they are about $20 at most) and refill the reservoir.
2. Open the bleeder valve (usually located at the top of the coolant hose leading to the radiator.
3. Start the car and allow it to reach normal operating temperature. Wait until there is a steady stream of coolant coming from the bleeder valve and then close it.

If this doesn't work, take it to a mechanic, who will do a pressure check to see where the leak is, exactly. Hopefully it's not in the radiator itself, because that will be quite expensive. If your exhaust is white when you start it in the morning or it smells sweet, it's a cracked head, which is more expensive but less likely because you are losing coolant so quickly.

Pbartender

First Post
Not sure about the washer hose, but the first thing you should check on your car is the coolant hose. When the car is cool, check the coolant hose for cracks or bulges. Second, check the radiator or reservoir cap. Many caps have an internal spring holding a gasket in place. If this gasket corrodes or the spring is old, the cap can't contain the pressure of the heated coolant as it should, and the coolant boils over. Once the coolant boils over once, an air bubble can develop in the system and this will prevent the coolant from flowing even if you refill the reservoir. So give this a shot:

1. Check the gasket on the reservoir cap for corrosion. If the rubber looks cracked, replace it (they are about $20 at most) and refill the reservoir.
2. Open the bleeder valve (usually located at the top of the coolant hose leading to the radiator.
3. Start the car and allow it to reach normal operating temperature. Wait until there is a steady stream of coolant coming from the bleeder valve and then close it.

If this doesn't work, take it to a mechanic, who will do a pressure check to see where the leak is, exactly. Hopefully it's not in the radiator itself, because that will be quite expensive. If your exhaust is white when you start it in the morning or it smells sweet, it's a cracked head, which is more expensive but less likely because you are losing coolant so quickly.

Good call on the cap... I'd forgotten about the cap.

If you do find that it's a hose, they're usually pretty cheap and easy to replace. My mechanic wanted $60 to fix ours. I did it myself in about 15 minutes, and spent only the five dollars and change it cost to buy the replacement hose.

ssampier

First Post
I sympathize. I have been there before -- being trapped on the side of the road; not fun.

If car does require mechanical help, you may be able to persuade a mechanic to do work on the side. All the mechanics I know are really knowledgeable and hard-workers, but feel underpaid.

The disadvantage, of course, is that type of work would come with no warranty.

Remove ads