Career Guidance Help Please!

Wycen

Explorer
Partly to toot my own interest's horn and partly because I see the word research in this thread, I have another suggestion.

Historian. Historian's do research. Some historians do public work in museums and such, but even those need to have done research at some point.

Creativity in my opinion is a must for a historian. You'll be writing many papers and creativity will help. Being a gamer probably gives you a bonus by virtue of experience and exposure.

The problem I see is that unless you have an excellent memory or bring a recorder to class, you'll need/want to take notes. Also, you'll do a lot of reading, which I don't see you mention as a plus or minus. I guess it depends on the book and subject just going from my own experience.

And of course, you can focus your interests on being a historian of science. I myself woulda/coulda taken that route, except that my advisor and the instructor who taught all the historical science classes (the same person) was gone for the first year I was back in college.

And finally advice drawn from my previous statement and personal experience. DON'T BE AFRAID TO TALK TO TEACHERS AND FACULTY. Making friends makes your job easier and might even make your professors appreciate you and their own job.

Remove ads