• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Carnifex's SH - Updated July 24th, Light and Questions

Angcuru

First Post
Just a bit of a reminder, Stinky. Have you forgotten about that blood tooth summoning ritual thingy that Wolf left Kale in his 'In case I bite it.' letter? I'd think that Kale would be thinking about that, seeing as it would lead to important information for him, both personal and professional.

I also wonder where the tension between Sebastion and Melisande will lead to. Somehow, I picture a really complicated love pentagon involving Sebastion, Melisande, Kale, Wyshira, and Meg'anna (or Ebri).

*sigh* I wish I could get into this game. Hurry up and kill off Burl so there's a spot to fill. :D
[/semi-serious joke] :p

Last edited:

Carnifex

First Post
Stinky said:
I think an amulet of fire resistance would be quite coveted by Kale. Heh, and you haven't even read about the crystal beholder yet.

Who knows, one day Kale might get his mits on such a magical item ;) As for the crystal beholder, that was in the last update I posted - the reason I put up the solar beholder stats was because I couldn't find the Crystal Eye ones to put up :)

Stinky said:
I'm wondering what will happen when we do the ceremony according to Wolf's letter. Anyone have ideas? I think we're going to end up sommoning some naturey thing who ends up giving us some sagely answers. We might even learn something about the Blades. I guess Wolf was their coleader (acording to news Kale doesn't know yet), if they're a big arganization then maybe they can all become known as The Ones Who Got Wolf Killed. Sweet.

That Red Talon guy is so toast.

Always good to know that the players are into the game enough that they want revenge on NPC's :D

I'm certainly looking forwards to when the party finally get round to summoning Blood Claw, though to be fair with the tower and everything there really hasn't been spare time for them to do so thus far. Doubtless it'll be up on the agenda once you get yourselves out of the bowels of the place (or should that be if you get out! :eek: :D :p ).

Also, Horacio has done something absolutely amazing and incredibly cool related to the story hour, but more on that as it progresses :D

Anyways, off to write a new SH update!

Carnifex

First Post
Spinning his blades to a halt, gently, Sebastion paused for a moment on the ball of one foot, ready to strike again should the crystal begin to move. Silence held sway for a breath, and then the moans of the injured sage started again, breaking the spell.

"Everybody move through the room, get clear of here before we stop - there may be others. Kale, you lead them... Stay behind Kale!"

So saying, he moved around the thing, grasping his scabbards up off the floor, and offering a hand to Mel where she had stumbled to the floor.

"You had the courage to stand against it," he offered, with a sombre grin, "Everything else can be learnt....are you alright?"

Wyshira slumped with relief. She wondered briefly about the crystal beholder's life-force and where it had come from. The thing had been built, created (like the Arcanofex), and that concept was strange to her. Had it been truly 'alive'? And if it was, how did the creator make life? But it was just a passing thought. There were some in the group who had been wounded, including Melisande, and Wyshira turned her thoughts to triage.

Sebastian was urging them to move on however. Wyshira looked at Kale who was in the lead, and offered a recommendation.

"There may be more dangers ahead on the stairs. We should heal our wounds before we go further," she said, taking out her basket of healing supplies.

Ebri nodded to Wyshira, who was correct in her assessment. "This will only take a moment," she told the rest of them, and turned to crouch down by Melisande. Laying her hands on the injured woman, she put herself mentally in the place where the Great Prophet could work through her, and said the proper words, channelling a cure spell into the blue sorceress.

"You realize, it would hardly be worth joining a worthy and useful quest if its leader were to throw her life away needlessly and carelessly..." she murmured, raising an eyebrow and standing up again. "It would do the world little service."

As welcome as Sebastion's words of encouragement might have come, Mel could hardly stomach them. In fact, she felt seriously queasy as she struggled to her feet, wincing with pain and mortification. She'd had the courage--the foolishness--to stand against the Guardian, yes, but not much else. Her magic backfired, her sword proved useless, and her diversionary tactics hadn't prevented several of her companions (including Sebastion) from being badly hurt. And it was her own impetuous curiosity that had awoken the thing in the first place. (Had he been about to say "chicken-brained" again as she plunged forward into the lab? Probably--and he would have been right.)

She was a paler shade of blue as she stooped gathering her cloak around the smoldering wound in her midsection and Ebri Zol approached to offer both healing and some more not-so-comforting words. Even as Ebri's healing touch took the sting away from her skin, "needlessly and carelessly" stung much deeper.

She opened her mouth to say it wasn't needless and then realized it was. Her friends didn't need her protection. They would be doing just fine without her. In fact, they'd be in rather better shape right now. Silently, she glanced around to take stock of the damage. Two of the sages were down and their bodyguard looked a lot worse for the wear. Good thing they had Ebri Zol and Wyshira, at least. She could hardly look the bodyguard in the eye. He was probably furious.

"Ebri Zol," she murmured, turning back to the priestess, "I am not suited to lead any quest. I don't want you throwing your life away needlessly by putting yourself between me and danger again. My quest is not to lead people to their deaths but just the opposite--in fact, Ebri, my quest is to put me in danger instead of you. So next time everyone yells to run for it, let's do each other a favor and do as they say. There are people among us who have a lot more sense than we do."

It did occur to her briefly that Ebri might not appreciate being lumped into the nitwit category with her blue companion, but Mel figured if Ebri was ready to die for her she wouldn't mind that much. Yet there was something very strange about that. Mel wondered if she was really that inspiring. Even Pierre had abandoned her. Ebri Zol had been nothing but supportive of everything Mel undertook, even knowing that almost everything she undertook was an unqualified disaster. Odd....

Mentally she beckoned for her yellow-bellied toad of a familiar, and avoided the gaze of her companions.

Edgy, watchful, Sebastion kept a firm eye on the broken chunks of crystal, willing them to remain static and inert, even as Meg'anna stooped to sweep up a section for a momento. It wasn't an uncommon thing, battle-trophies, though not one he'd ever felt inclined to join in with himself - maybe she'd learnt it from some group of savages somewhere, the legacy of a lifetime staring at tooth-necklaces...

Through the nervousness - and the watchfulness - he heard Melisande's words, and grimaced slightly, recalling his own feelings of wretchedness and ineptitude after his first battle on the road. The Scyther had taken two of the mercenaries he'd been travelling with that day, and his efforts had seemed paltry - they still did, in truth.

"All the training in the world cannot instill courage. Courage is something that you either have, or you don't. So long as you look over what happened here later, and try to learn from it, it hasn't been in vain." he offered, trying to convey more than simply the words.

Those that live by the sword, die by the sword.
What doesn't kill us makes us stronger.
For each of us there is a day to die.

These were more than just epithets, more than just fancy words spouted by the fops that attended the fencing schools then went back to their parents guild-payed houses. These were words to live by, words that defined the life of those that depended on a quick blade, quick feet, and a quicker mind to keep them alive, and to make a difference.

Coralling mages as he went, Kale stood a moment next to Johanne. "That could have been better. If we want to avoid this in the future, we need to be clear. When it comes down, you all need to listen." He said as he looked at the wrecked room once more. "Hesitation is messy."

Regarding the sage respectfully, after a moment Kale beckoned Burl to talk for a moment. "You ok?" He asked, with more than one meaning. The dark mage seemed unscathed, but he was behaving oddly. Toranites ahead... could he be dreading company that awaited them? "You need to help me with your mage sight, if we are to encounter something like this again." That bit he said to make sure Johanne overhear. As in, everything is being attended, no need to stick your neck out and get it burned off. Sometime, these mages would have to start pulling their weight. But given the iron walls, shadow magics, and mysteries up ahead, provided they all lived long enough, the bookmen could well come in handy.

A slight motion at his feet drew Kale's attention down to Pierre. The two-headed pet thing was having trouble navigating the landscape of broken glass and unknown liquids spilled on the ground. A wounded frog would just be insult to injury. Scooping the thing up, he sincerely hoped he wouldn't get peed on. He stopped by Melisande only long enough to hand over the animal- the blue woman was going through things Kale shouldn't be a part of.

Pierre was thinking something toadishly similar to There's a fine line between courage and brainlessness as he was passed back to his mistress' trembly hands. She was already busy sheepishly avoiding Kale's gaze when the thought from her familiar came through, and she might have sat right down in the heap of crystal shards and cried except that Sebastion seemed so very determined to be nice to her all of a sudden, and this was raising her spirits more than it probably should have.

After dumping the toad into her pocket none too carefully she gave Sebastion's arm a quick, furtive squeeze. "Thank you."

And then she needed to find something helpful to do, quickly. Wyshira had suggested the group pause to heal and patch up what they could before moving on. The first sore spot--a human-shaped sore spot, in fact--that caught Mel's eye was the mages' bodyguard, Cazamir. It seemed the group's healing energies were concentrated among Mel's own friends, who were distributing them with some predjudice to those they knew and trusted. Although she expected him, like Kale, to be slightly ill-disposed toward her, she bucked up what courage remained and headed over. Something told her she should help--she could help. She wasn't sure how. Perhaps Naskha could offer some small token.

"You'll need more than what I can do," she said, hesitating, "but it's a start--if it works." She could not even look at the pink and black gnarled wound, so she placed her hands lightly on his shoulders. Timidly, aware how very blue her hands looked, Mel raised a meek inner plea to her adopted god. Naskha? Is this all right? Am I allowed to heal in your name? It's just that--he was so brave--and it is my fault....

* * *​

Cazamir rose to his feet slowly. The crystal guardian was destroyed, and at least one of his charges was gravely hurt. He was hurt. Pain danced along his chest like a razor-edged sword. He would survive for now, but what of the next bad encounter? He glanced over at Kale as the warrior mentioned tending to his wounds. His group alone may not have made it past the guardian without these mercenaries help, but he couldn’t shake the feeling that their misstep had activated it.

“You fought well,” he said to Kale, although his meaning applied to the entire group. Then Melisande was behind him, offering to help with his injuries. “I appreciate the healing, but if there is anything you can do for him…” he pointed towards the fallen sage lying on the floor. He doubted if they could – death was a finality even most magicks could not move beyond.

Now that the party wasn't being rushed out of the room, Wyshira was able to take stock of her charges. Mel wasn't too badly off, at least not after Ebri Zol had cast her cure spell. That still bothered Wyshira - she felt the resentment like an ache in her bones - although she tried not to let it show. She glanced at Cazamir's wounds, wondering how he managed to stand the severe pain of the massive burns. She was about to dig through her basket and offer him some herbs to chew, when he asked for aid for one of the fallen sages. Do they not have their own healer with them? she wondered, even as she knelt down to see if there was anything she could do for the man.

* * *​

Cazamir felt a stinging sensation across the scorching that Melisande placed her hands over, and the aasimar herself felt a faint surge of power not unalike that which she experienced when drawing upon her innate ability to evoke light. When she brought her hand away, he saw that, though still the wound was painful and the skin raw, the oozing blood had stopped and congealed, the injury scabbing over and making a start on the way to healing.

Unfortunately, beside her, as Wyshira knelt by the prone form of one of the mages, the two who had dragged him to cover behind the table shook their heads. "Hit by his own spell and then the eyebeast," and indeed the aged man was unmoving and his robes stained with blood. It seemed the bolt from the Crystal Eye had killed him outright befoire his comrades could give him any of their precious few healing elixirs.

The others of their band seemed unsettled but not all that worried. "He knew the potential risks," said Johanne as he wandered the now quiet chamber, observing some of the pieces of laboratory equipment. "We all do. Umbral ruins often have traps and newer denizens within them, and it's never a safe venture. And..." he leaned over one of the desks to peer at the delicate alchemical array upon it, amazingly undamaged in the melee. "This is human work, this laboratory, not Umbral, though I can't tell who made the crystal construct. My guess is that this is the handiwork of our Carthagian thaumineer. I fear to think as to why, if he is the 'master' of this place, he no longer has control over all of his building and experiments..."

Meanwhile, Meg'anna pocketed a chunk of the crystalline creature even as the last vestiges of the nature magic which had held her summoned wolf here dissipated; Kale took one of the pitted, cracked eyestalks as well, though he found that the crystal had lost its previous, life-like ability to move and was now as stiff as a statue.

* * *​

Ebri watched the transformation of Melisande with a mixture of frustration -- it was a setback, of a sort, in her progress with the quest idea-- and interest that grew by the moment... She did not reply outright, but only stared intently as Melisande moved from fear to pain to loss of confidence to guilt to self-pity to obvious pleasure at Sebastion's dubiously motivated words of comfort, to guilt again, to delusions of divinely inspired healing... all in the space of thirty breaths.

The woman is a wonder-- she thought, and then reaffirmed the statement to herself incredulously, as the injured Cazamir indeed appeared to be somewhat healed. Another instance of the mysterious phenomenon by which people were able to heal in the name of false deities and supersitious beliefs... this time spontaneous, apparently. Her faith in Naksha must be more than trifling, then... she decided. Healing by mutual, charismatic belief; by force of will? Using her innate magical skill without her own knowledge? It was a subject debated at length every season in the monastery; Ebri knew she could not solve it now. Whatever its cause, it was real, and Mel must now be doubly watched.

Sighing inside, she cast her mind in many directions, trying to predict the effect of this new factor on their relationship and her ward's state of mind and behavior.

Giddy with confidence... she predicted, hazarding a guess. That next, and still troubled. And slightly more cautious... today--

She had said enough for now, so she confined herself to just a few more words. They could discuss things further when the guilt rankled less.

"I will choose the road I walk--" The words were quiet and informational, and she made her way back into the hall.

* * *​

Mel drew her hands back and gaped at them in wonder. She had channeled Naskha's power! He had healed through her! She was truly a vessel of the blue Sorcerer-god, blessed among his faithful! A beatific smile passed across her face and she blinked happily over at Cazamir.

Oh. Well, it wasn't much. But it did happen, and she knew she could do it again eventually--like the light that welled up from inside, from a different, more visceral spring than her arcane talent--and also that it would grow stronger with her faith. Regular prayer and meditation, but most of all courage in the name of her god, would feed the healing power within--

--and, with some luck, teach You a little common sense.

--and teach you a little common guts, she shot back at Pierre testily, even though it was she who was putting words to the strong sense of annoyance she felt emanating from her pocket.

"Are you all right, Melisande?" Wyshira asked in passing, truncating what promised to be a nasty sorcerer-familiar quarrel.

"Oh, I'm fine Wyshira, thank you--I'm fine!" She was forgetting her own pain, radiating the grace of Naskha (if Pierre would just quit sending her grumpy vibes), although her own wounds were far from gone even after Ebri Zol's intervention. None of that mattered at the moment.

The priestess, reassured, was moving on at Cazamir's request, and now as Mel watched her she was hit with another shock. One of the wizards had actually died.

Johanne was casual about it, but Mel wasn't. The guilt was back, its fangs worrying her heart like a chewtoy. All right--she hadn't been the only one who pushed ahead. The wizards were also curious. She only happened to be the first to approach the crystal shards, and another would have done it shortly if she hadn't. Wouldn't they?

"He knew the potential risks," Johanne said. Mel shrank away from the sight of the corpse, forgetting now her impulse to sieze Ebri Zol and tell her all about Naskha's intervention and what she saw as the divine validation of their quest. There was a strong and childish urge to make herself invisible instead. If he knew the potential risks in any detail, then he probably wouldn't have approached the pile of crystal shards as carelessly as I did.

"... I fear to think as to why, if he is the 'master' of this place, he no longer has control over all of his building and experiments..." Johanne trailed off, his face distorted in the bulb of an alembic as he peered at the alchemy equipment. The arcanofex warned us that not all the defenses could be deactivated. It's no wonder its Master welcomes us. He's probably trapped in here.

Meekly folding her over-curious hands in front of herself, Melisande gave the lab an apprehensive glance. He wouldn't have allowed us in if he didn't want something from us....

* * *​

Wyshira quickly determined that the motionless sage was beyond help, and looked up at Cazamir, shaking her head sadly. She stood with a sigh, wondering what Johanne would choose to do about the body. "I can perform burial rites if you wish it," she told him. "Or cast a spell to preserve the body after we rest."

Johanne gazed solemnly at the body for a few moments. "If you could give him some rites to tide his soul over for now... I don't think we should really turn back now to give the man a burial when there'll hopefully be plenty of time to do that once we've met the tower's master."

From there, she went back to Cazamir and Melisande. "I think 'fine' is an overstatement," she told the sorceress. "Those burns require more attention. Yours do too," she added to Cazamir. She retrieved a small bowl from her pack and filled it with water. Then she began to simultaneously clean the wounds and cast healing spells. She finished with clean linen dressings, and offered them each some herbs for the pain.

She saved Kale for last, repeating the treatment she had just performed on the other two. While she worked she talked in a low voice. "If they knew the potential risks, you'd think that they would've been better prepared for them. And that they would've been more cautious. I know, I know... it was our dear Melisande that triggered the trap. But they were only a few steps behind her. It could've been one of them just as easily." She finished tying Kale's dressing and began to put away her supplies. "I just don't like having to use our resources to heal them up!"

Kale nodded in agreement with the genasi preistess. Healing was a precious resource. "But he jumped in quick enough to make himself a target... played right, this will be a good bargain." he spoke softly to Wyshira. "I think way may be in need of these mage's expertise..." he said, still not completely sure. They were not a part of the band proper, and the professional distance the mercenary kept from them was evident. No particular loyalties to them, save what was profit to the team.

The searing burn on Kale's left side was soothed by another timely healing... he stood at the stairwell, a little less crispy. Surprisingly, Ebri walked to the fore, and Kale hesitated for a moment, unsure what she was up to. To the stairway and listening, her effort seemed a ridiculous contribution, were it not for that silver ring in her ear. What a handy device. She could be useful, too, though the young mercenary was more suspicious of Ebri than of the unknown mage trouppe.

Nothing to be done about it now... Kale waited for a report from Ebri's investigation, and he was smoothly on his way.

* * *​

As Ebri listened carefully to the looming silence of the structure around her, straining to pick up some thread or whisper of noise, her enchanted earring tingled faintly and, from the path of the staircase ahead, she heard what might have been the faintest hint of a brief moment of conversation. It was definitely not from anywhere nearby, and sounded like it came from far ahead, beyond the darkness of the stairs ascending up.

"There are others ahead of us, beyond the staircase above..." she reported, as Kale eyed her with suspicion. "Two or more people are talking quietly."

I have no reason to hide such... A corner of her mouth quirked upward briefly, acknowledging Kale's paranoia.

"Two groups of two, overlapping and covering at each corner. Kale and I, Cazamir and Jarvis..." Sebastion suggested, after a few seconds thought, reaching to his hip to ensure his quiver was in place. "If any of you... wizards... have something that could aid with stealth at a time like this it would be a help..."

Ebri spoke up again. "If the mages cannot assist us with stealth, I have that which will make me invisible for a time. I or another of us should scout ahead. Unless we wish to take another path. In any case, we should not go on so injured. I have more healing energy to give, if need be."

"We'll go this way, quietly," Kale said in response to Ebri's report. She had means of invisibility? Full of surprises, everybody. And the farmboy Sebastion suggested bounding overwatch and small unit tactics... "These halls can be quite small for overwatch," Kale began, only speaking as loud as he had to. "Anyone we can hear now must have heard the din as we fought that thing. If they suspect we're coming and dig in, we may never be able to root them out. We have to be as sneaky as possible. Ebri, you and I will scout ahead- Sebastion will direct the others forward as we advance." He said levelly, pouring every bit of confidence in Sebastion with hopes to keep the mages from second guessing the farmer-soldier's judgement. As for Sebastion's judgement about what he and Ebri were to do...

Shut up Kale told himself, knowing he himself didn't even like the idea of having Ebri watch his back, and she his.

Surveying faces, Kale looked for anything that resembled consensus. But this wasn't committee, and they hadn't time. "Let's go." He said to Ebri as he tread the first stairstep. "And if you hear any fighting, we're not likely pulling back." He said frankly, conscious of his still-cooked left side.
"We can't give them any chance to strengthen any defence- we're going to push through, or give up entirely." That one had to sink in. As much as Kale thought about it, it certainly didn't seem like there were any other options.

Wyshira mirrored Kale's look of surprise at Ebri's announcement that she could make herself invisible. Sort of a surprising trick for an Immarian priestess. But perhaps she only had a (relatively) common potion that she'd picked up in her travels.

She nodded in support of Kale's plan, and moved to hand over two small crystal globes when Kale asked for a means of detecting magical traps. "These lesser eye charms need only be crushed to release a spell that will detect all forms of magic. You should be able to use them just fine, Kale, but if you'd rather, I can give them to Ebri to use."

Then she turned to Melisande and Meg'anna. "Let's stay together," she suggested. "And keep the mages behind us."

Sebastion paused a moment, contemplating Kale's suggestions. It had certain merits, not least of which was eliminating his own and Cazamir's noise from the equation, but it did leave Ebri and Kale a little exposed. Still, if they were as willing to put their ability to sneak to the test as he was to put his ability with the blade to the test, he could hardly fault them.

"Very well, if you're sure. We'll be close by, if you call..." He dropped back alongside Mel and Wyshira, tying the scabbards of his blade to his belt, keeping the steel bared in case it was needed as he tried to figure out the problem with the plan...

Next Time: Scouting reveals what lies ahead, and Melisande reveals something she probably should have told the others before...

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
Carnifex said:
Also, Horacio has done something absolutely amazing and incredibly cool related to the story hour, but more on that as it progresses :D

:eek: Thanks, 'Fex!

I hope you all will like it :)

Easter

First Post
Hmm... Is Horacio a bit of an artist, perhaps? :D

Just for fun I've been running a Mel prototype through Neverwinter Nights. Obviously it's not exactly like the campaign (and NWN does not support two-headed toad familiars, so she has a bat named Maurice instead), but I'm finding lots of things out about the peculiar combination of sorcerer/paladin, especially since I'm not well versed in the rules. :eek: Even I could have guessed though, in a combat-heavy situation she goes through healing potions like I go through Junior Mints. At higher levels (right now I've got her up to Pal 5/Sor 6) she might start getting tough, but in the meantime she'll just have to get used to pain.

That is, without Ebri and Seb as human shields. Anyone ever consider that as a subsidiary bonus of high charisma? AC (human shield) bonus. ;)

Besides, it sounds like Seb's souring on that job. And Mel (if NWN is any measure) will need training in ranged weapons more than melee if she's going to stay alive long. If, of course, she survives the Tower in the first place...

Angcuru

First Post
*sigh* I just KNOW that I could add so much to this game were I to get in on it. I have so many ideas in mind for so many things. But then again, observing is about as good as partaking. (most of the time) :cool:

Mel going solo in NWN? Well, at least they let you go with the blue skin. :D

Carnifex

First Post
While the rest of the band loitered in the gloomy, gaslit laboratory, Kale and Ebri sloped away ahead up the staircase. The mages continued to wander around the alchemical and arcane equipment that littered the room, though more wary and alert in their actions now, while Ansas 'Turi curiously hunkered down by the wreckage of the Crystal Eye and sifted through it. Jarvis stood quiet and still like a statue as they waited for the scouts to return.

* * *​

The staircase ascended into deep gloom as they paced quietly up it, but soon it opened up into a large, shadow-shrouded room bereft of any features other than doors leading off and a walkway running high across one wall. Ebri could hear, through her earring, more faint noises that indicated conversation, echoing through from one of the metal doors that led onwards. Tracks wound through the dust on the floor; heavy passage was evident, and it appeared a fair amount of movement had gone between some of the doors of this room. The door from which Ebri could hear others was one such entrance that seemed to have been travelled through frequently.

Putting on the umbramantic ring, the heavy shadows shifted and wrapped themselves around Kale, a protective, cool cloak of darkness following his movements and diffusing his shape. Ebri took one of the shadowskins out, the globe feeling slick and cold to the touch, and pressed it against her arm; quickly it spread across her skin like dark mercury, completely covering her in the shifting layer of shadows that made her almost invisible in the darkness of the chamber. Looking at her, the only part that Kale could distinguish was the two lighter patches of shadow that must have been her eyes.

Onwards they crept through the dim, cold interior of the tower, moving through several rooms and corridors, staircases and galleries as they approached the source of the noise. Some rooms were damp and metal, encrusted with rust, others consisting of chill stone. Some were lined with hissing, searing pipes of brass and steel, radiating warmth as they conveyed steam to the upper reaches of the structure and its arcane machinery. Strange and eldritch engines sat bulkily in the corners of forgotten chambers, occasionally humming or glimmering.

And as they moved through the confusing honeycomb of rooms in the upper levels of the war tower, they came closer to their destination, the source of what Ebri could hear. Somehow it seemed, she had picked up the faintest strains of conversation that echoed and whispered its way all the way down to the crystal laboratory. And then they found them.

The passsageway opened into wide stairs leading forth into a dark but large room, stone debris scattered across the floor where it had fallen from an ornate stone gallery looking over it. Further portals lead forth into other corridors, but in the center of the room were a dozen Carthagians, the scene lit by flickering lamps that they had brought with them.

Ten were in the garb and dress of scouts, light leather and chain armour and bearing crossbows and spears. They sat and lounged around on a number of supply crates and pieces of camp gear, resting on fallen stone blocks and strolling around the place. Another man stood with more authority and importance than the rest, clad in tough travelling garb and with a longsword strapped across his back and a short sword on his hip. Also hanging from his belt were the various pouches, charms and paraphernalia that many arcanists carried with them. The final man was huge and his features hidden, clad as he was in red and black heavy plate armour that sprouted an array of barbs and blades, and the double-axes of Toran emblazoned on the breastplate. It was very similar to the priest that Kale and Burl had encountered in Halstath, though this warrior clenched a massive barbed mace in his armoured gauntlets.

The warrior-mage was speaking to his subordinates who were gathering up their equipment. Directions were being handed out to pack up and move the supplies through a large, round metal door that was wide open across the other side of the chamber, more stairs leading up beign visible through it. Men were hurriedly now arming themselves in readiness for action of some sort. All the while the massive armoured warrior simply stood as if unperturbed by the activity all around him.

Yet they did not see either Ebri or Kale watching them from the entrance into the chamber, garbed in shadows as the pair were.

Twelve... Ebri counted silently. And unsuspecting, apparently. One arcanist; one cleric of Toran.

Her eyes moved upward naturally towards the gallery above the room. A natural place from which to stage an attack-- if the Carthagians were merely resting. Unfortunately it seemed that they were on the move, or about to be...

Upwards. Toward the upper part of the tower, where it was most likely their quarry lay.

With so much bustle of crates and packing, we are unlikely to be heard if we remain quiet...

And that led to the question... For whom were the crates? Had the others looted the Tower already? Were they bringing supplies to the tower's occupant, in collusion with him? Were they also doing 'research'? These questions flitted through her mind in orderly fashion as she watched, observing the Toranite cleric in particular. Was he meditating? Or, had he, like her, achieved a certain amount of stillness and discipline and control?

She drew near to Kale, drawing him back from the door with a slight pressure on his arm, and breathed in his ear.

"Observe the gallery... We must prevent them from reaching the upper regions before us... Shall we engage them and draw them back towards the others? Follow and pick them off? One of us go back while the other remain?" Ebri deferred to the leader's expertise in tactics, undecided as to what she would prefer. For the Tower, interesting as it was -- it made her intensely curious, particularly about the Umbral culture-- was not as important as her mission regarding Melisande. Yet the Carthagians were a definite risk, if not handled well...

* * *​

"What are they going to do if they find anyone?" Sebastion muttered, almost to himself, as he finally beckoned for the group to start moving. "They can hardly just charge in to attack, for we've no more right to be here than anyone else. But if they are attacked, we are a long way behind to offer support...." This, he decided, pacing relentlessly up the staircase, is why he preferred the clean environs of a well-defined battlefield.

"Let's try not to let them get too far ahead then," Mel concluded, moving up the stairs with Wyshira and Meg'anna close by, just as she'd been instructed to do. "If they run into another defense mechanism they'll need us, and if it's the Carthagians I hardly expect less. My ex-compatriots are unlikely to want to share the secrets of this tower with any old group of adventurers who happens along at the same time. Say, that is a strange coincidence, don't you think? It could be that the Truth-Seekers are up to more than just seeking truth, if they're vying with Toranites for certain technologies. Gosh, I wonder if there's another big war brewing. Oh, sorry." Suddenly she bit her lip, realizing a few moments too late they were supposed to be moving with some degree of stealth. Hopefully they were far enough behind Kale and Ebri that her voice would not carry. But presently she started up again, in a whisper this time: "I wouldn't be surprised if it was another Naseria-Carthagia war in the making. And think! The whole outcome may depend on us, right now! Whoever brings home the secrets of the Arcanist's tower will make the critical difference that tips the scales. We're historical!"

"We're on the right side of this, I think. It's more likely Naseria will use the technology for peaceful purposes. I wonder if there's any way to stop the Toranites without having to kill them."

"If we could find out exactly what they think they're looking for and then trick them into thinking they found it, maybe they'd go away. The Master of the tower might be able to help us do that. We have to reach him first!"

Her light, clear whisper was a soothing comfort in the background of Sebastion's adrenalin heightened senses; he smiled slightly at the vague hints of romanticism that came through, one person's action setting off an entire war between nations.

There was a moment's pause in Melisande's stream of words.

"Er, you probably ought to know--I think one of the Carthagians here may be my old mentor from the Manip labs, Professor Akarsis. That was his horse outside. I think he'll recognize me. We could turn that to our advantage, or it might make him really mad. I'm not sure." Mel found herself biting a sheepish lip again. She might have told them earlier--like before Kale and Ebri Zol went off alone--but at least she was telling them now.

CHICKEN BRAINED BLOODY WOMAN!!!! Sebastion screamed in his head, only the tension of the situation keeping his jaw clamped shut as his nostrils flared slightly.

"You didn't think to mention this before we came in? To perhaps share what you know of him with the rest of us?" he asked, jaw cletching his teeth together in frustration. For a moment he was tempted to send her to the back of the line where she would not be seen, but that served no-one.

"Quickly, then... I'll assume he is of sufficient rank to likely be the leader. What sort of man is he? Thoughtful, flamboyant, impulsive...? You should talk to the wizards about his magic, too - they might be able to come up with something to neutralise him."

It was the way you dealt with a swordsman, after all - analyse his personality, analyse his technique, and adopt a strategy... if he didn't use his magic as a weapon so much the better, but if he did it would be nice to at least be close to ready. If it degenerated to a fight at all. Somehow, that thought didn't feel particularly reassuring.

"I was worried you'd make me stay outside or something," Mel mumbled sullenly, taking Sebastion's terse tone to heart. I can almost hear him thinking how chicken-brained I am, the chauvinist.

"But the fact is, I don't know how he'd react to seeing me and until I decided how to deal with him I preferred to be along with you in here, instead of relegated to camp watch, which is exactly what you'd have done with me and don't try to deny it."

"I've been thinking it over. Professor Akarsis is a hard man to read. It's like he never showed any emotion at all while I worked with him--he was never angry but never happy either. In fact I don't think he sees things in terms of good or bad, just in terms of efficient and inefficient. So on the one hand, he might find it useful for me to show up and offer to 'help', but he might still be annoyed about the big mess I made the day I got fed up and decided to leave the lab. It's really impossible to predict how he'll react."

She turned slightly, hanging back, to be sure the wizards could hear.

"At any rate he is a Manipulator, and quite a good one, which means he knows a wide range of spells that can affect physiology, offensively and defensively. If he is here with some of the lab staff there may also be necromancers and even priests of Toran with him."

"I could try to make the Carthagians believe I was sent as backup or to check on them, as some sort of secret service agent from the Church of Toran, but then again they're not stupid."

That didn't sound right.

"I mean, it would be complicated and dangerous. But it would be a chance to find out what they're after, and maybe lead them off the track."

* * *​

The shadow trick was a nice one, Kale wondered if Ebri thought the same of his little ring. He almost forgot the tension between himself and the mysterious woman, with the intriguing challenge that waited below.

"The light doesn't help," Kale quietly whispered rhetorically. "We can bring the crew up closer, and wait until they encounter more defenses from ahead before we show ourselves."

He hardly even gave breath to the words, hiding as the two were in the dark iron hallway. But that powerful earring... was sure to cause trouble later.

Kale's mind snapped back to the present. Wait for the Toranites to find bigger trouble. Rock and a hard place- Kale had no big inclination to talk before attacking, but if the Toranites wished to surrender unconditionally...

"Send for the others, and we can wait for our chance to act..." he whispered to Ebri.

She nodded. "If you are detected, shout--I will hear, and we will all come with due speed."

With that, she was gone, travelling back down the hallways as quickly and quietly as she could do both.

...​

"We have found the Toranites... she announced, giving a brief summary of their numbers and location. "They are moving upwards and carrying crates of some sort. Kale would like us to meet him, and we will encounter them from a place of advantage. Quickly..."

Cazamir frowned at the mention of followers of Toran, who were never pleasant to deal with. They were a dark reflection of Lord Urazel, mixing the dedication of warfare with their sinister practices. He had heard many stories of the wars waged by the Carthagians.

“This could end in a pitched battle. Is there no way past them?” He frowned, weighing the choices. He turned, speaking more to the sages than the female. “If they have numbers, we will need a show of strength to make them think against conflict. Otherwise they’ll look to capture or kill those they find.”

"Frankly, I do not know what Kale's plans are: we had little time for discussion. Ebri replied, taking advantage of her shadow-shrouded invisibility to observe Cazamir unguarded. And his tattoo. Her order had given up tattooing as a sign centuries before in favor of more subtle markers, but they kept records of those of other groups.

She described the nature of the room and the gallery above quickly. "But they are moving upward, if not now, then shortly. To me the issue is one of speed. For we do not know their intentions, but in all likeliehood their plans either counter or equal ours-- and so we must either prevent them from reaching the upper parts of the Tower, or reach it before them if we are to accomplish our goal."

Or goals, she thought. There were clearly several aims among this band. But unity of purpose was what was to be stressed at the moment.

Sebastion listened to both the words of both Cazamir and Ebri before replying. "Will it come to a pitched battle? Perhaps, perhaps not. Mel's description of this Akarsis makes him sound calculating, and I doubt he'd want to risk a pitched battle until he knew something about us - which gives us the opportunity to do the same, I suppose."

"Make an issue of being on the stairwell, send in a small group openly to greet them, and the rest of us remain out of sight as a back-up... if things turn ugly we can be there quickly, if they are friendly we can confess to having been cautious."

"Well, we were just discussing what to do with the Carthagians, actually," Mel added conversationally, poking at the dark patch where Ebri Zol's voice had come from, and thinking she had an even better surprise in return.

With that, she proceeded to explain to Ebri all she had just told the others about her former mentor. "Did you see a tall, thin man with goggles and a sort of contraption on his back? I'm sure that was his horse outside."

"I'm sure they wouldn't just shoot me if I showed up, if it is my old mentor. He'd at least want to know why I was there. I could pretend to have been sent to keep an eye on them, or to help out or something, and then I could find out more about why they're here and even maybe slow them down. I hate to have to lie, but if it's to avoid a futile fight, I could at least leave out certain salient bits of truth."

"What do you think, Ebri? Sebastion and--and Cazamir could come with me and pose as my bodyguards." She smiled eagerly, feeling brave and useful again, but one hand slipped into her pocket and gave a gentle but firm pinch to the woefully lamenting amphibian within.

"No bodyguards could help you, with such a plan..." Ebri answered, taking a moment to digest the news and the current situation... If they were proper bodyguards they would restrain you until good sense returned... she thought, wondering once more how she was to be a proper bodyguard to this bewildering woman. "In short, I think no. How many times have I said that to plan in advance of information is both misleading and a waste--" She broke off, letting them hear her frustration. "There is not time for that discussion. I saw no such man. Their arcanist is a warrior. And they are getting ahead of us. Whether we fight them or find a way round them, it will be meaningless if they reach the Tower's Master before us--"

Melisande stiffened, Ebri's sharp tone bringing back an uncomfortable memory of her acid-tongued mother. Which of course triggered a sullen, girlish shrillness to her defiance.

"Then we have to push ahead quickly and do something. And--and--I hope Akarsis is with them, but even if not I am Carthagian and we will have to face them on some terms at some point, and I mean, I mean, it's less likely they'll shoot at me than at someone obviously un-Carthagian... Er, I know most Carthagians aren't blue, but--but--some of them may know me if they were Akarsis' colleagues at least."

"And unless you plan on just killing them all, somebody's going to have to talk to them, and I think it should be me!"

Four bulbous and desperate eyes appeared at the lip of her pocket then. If one of those cairns they'd seen was for Akarsis, that changed things. That changed a lot of things for Pierre. But it didn't change his instinct for self-preservation, and all he really understood was that she was up to something she considered "brave" again. A flipper flailed out, as if flagging for help.

"Ladies," Sebastion whispered, raising a hand to be sure he had their attention, "the volume?" Having got their attention, he paused a moment, and then continued.

"If we lie to them we will spend the rest of our time either on edge, or fighting with them. If we all pile in together and state our purpose, we expose everything and give them the advantage, if they are hostile. I say we send representatives to let them know we're here, and keep people in reserve. After all, we have no more right to be here than they."

"Except me!" Melisande retorted. "As far as they're concerned, I have no right to be outside Carthagia. I'm a deserter. Even if Akarsis is not with them, someone may recognize me--you know, for some reason, people don't seem to forget my face--and I have to have a story. Or else I have to be invisible, or wait outside."

"Which is why," Mel concluded, flushed from annoyance, "I didn't want to tell you he was here in the first place. So we either lie or keep me concealed. Because I'm not waiting outside."

* * *​

As Kale watched, the Carthagians finished stowing away their equipment, men lugging crates through the far door and up the stairs into the highest reaches of the tower. As the last of their equipment was carried up, the mage and the Toranite followed, casting suspicious and wary glances behind them; yet they still failed to see the shadow-shrouded form of the Corinthian man.

By the time that the rest of the band arrived once more, the darkly glimmering form of Ebri in her shadowskin leading them up, the wide chamber was empty, its former inhabitants having moved on.

"We're near the top of the structure now," Johanne said quietly, his pathfinder nodding at this assessment. "Not much higher up we can go. So those Carthagians really can't have gotten very far ahead of us. There just isn't much more building for them to travel through. Which also means they must be close themselves to the master of this tower, assuming he is at the top..."

Next Time: A surprise from the shadows, and frantic negotiations...

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads