• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Carnifex's Story Hour (Updated January 20th, "The Union")

Carnifex

First Post
The collection of sages came to an agreement as they muttered acceptance of Joahn's proposal. Two days travel to the Grumandic monastery and then a single day to the tower itself; at least it meant that the journey would be over soon. They were surprisingly fit considering their age but this didn't stop them from complaining of aches and pains.

A hail came from over the next rocky rise, a figure silhouetted there. Jarvis, the other hireling of the sagely band, stood there waving at the party, indicating he had found a clear path down.

Jarvis was their tracker and pathfinder, a man of Naserian origin clad in travellers leathers and sporting a few discreet blades about his person. He could fight in a pinch, but the main reason he was there was to actually get them to the tower with the minimum of mishaps in the first place. Cazamir was there to deal with it if mishaps did occur anyway.

A fairly reserved individual, Jarvis generally kept quiet and to himself except when he needed to inform them of the terrain ahead and where to go. Other than that, the pathfinder generally let the sages well alone, as Cazamir did. He didn't seem to care much for scientific discussions.

The Sarokeans might have been a dangerous place but their rugged natural beauty could not be denied. The Grumandic monastery was placed high up a valleyside, the cluster of sandstone and granite structures looking down over the huge valley that fell away below, a stream splashing its way down bare, slicked rock nearby.

The monk, tracker and handful of sages made their way up the gravelly path to the monastery gates; the compound had a strong wall around it, and a single strongly built monk clad in gray-hued cloth watched carefully over the entrance, a woven basket by his side holding javelins. The watchful man stepped quickly out to meet the approaching party; a few moments talking with Johan and he seemed convinced that they were of no threat to the monastery.

"Please, enter our home and find yourself somewhere to rest." He gestured across the valley to where the sun would soon dip beneath the mountains. "Soon night comes, and we would offer you a place to stay and a meal. Travellers are welcome here, as long as you make no trouble for us." With that, they were admitted.

Within the compound, Cazamir could see that the buildings were not simply crude and simple constructions; he was not a student of architecture but much loving care and skillfulness had been put to use in constructing the temple and surrounding structures. The pillars which supported the overhanging front of the main temple looked like they were covered in tiny inscriptions and engravings, most likely of some religious significance, and carefully cultured gardens dotted the interior of the compound walls. Some were practical, clearly for food, and others seemed more aesthetic than anything else.

The lodgings they were given for the evening were not interior rooms; instead they were led by another of the grey-clad acolytes to a courtyard where two wings of a building met at 90 degrees, providing shaded cloisters and an open, sandy-floored area where a number of what Cazamir could only assume were other travellers were already set down.

Dominating the area was what looked like some sort of wagon. High-sided with armour plates and protruding various tubes and pipes from some sort of central machine, perhaps an engine, it's furnace seemed quiet for now; at the front two men were releasing the pair of large carthorses that must have pulled the contraption. Several other people, including women and children, sat on and around the wagon chatting idly. They were all clad quite strangely, in a mixture of clothes and equipment that included all sorts of metal trinkets and objects. Most of the adults wore goggles strapped onto their heads, currently pushed back onto their foreheads, and had various tools on their belts.

At the back of the wagon, two grey-robed acolytes tended to an injured member of the wagon party, another of the wagoneers hovering worriedly nearby. This man wore more tools and metal than the others, as well as carrying the paraphernalia that Cazamir had usually associated with those of the wizardly profession. Most surprising was the man's left eye; a wounded gouge where the jelly organ had been replaced with what looked like a bronze globe instead, though it seemed as active and used as his other, real eye. The injured man was laid out on a wooden table; though Cazamir could not see him clearly with the people in the way he looked to be unconcious.

Under the cloisters a few others sat or lounged; a small armed band that looked like mercenaries or hired swords consisting of two dwarves and three men, cleaning and polishing chainmail, axes and swords as they talked amongst themselves. Further down a lone man who oiled and maintained his crossbow and a brace of pistols, clad in tough travellers clothing and a heavy cloak.

The sages quickly moved to take a spot under the cloisters, unpacking some of their equipment. Some looked about with idle curiosity, others set to writing in their notebooks.

Cazamir bowed to the sages as they made their preparations. “I will be nearby, should you gentlemen need my assistance.”

Freed from the graybeards for the moment, Cazamir wandered the courtyard, soaking up the various sights. He eyed the assortment of armed travellers, wondering if they posed any threat to the sages. He didn’t truly respect the sages, but he would not shirk his duty and let harm come to them.

Cazamir wandered past the wagon and stopped to watch the acolytes as they tended to the wounded man. He wanted to learn more about the monastery from these men, but this was not the time. The man with the odd gear and eye replacement hovered near by, catching Cazamir’s attention. He asked the man a question, watching his reaction.

“What happened to your friend, good sir?”

Carnifex

First Post
And another Cazamir update - we'll be getting back to Wolf's Company soon though... :)

As Cazamir asked his question, the acolytes moved to slightly different positions around the afflicted man to tend to him, and the monk finally saw his arm.

It ended just below the elbow, where the flesh was horribly enflamed in livid colours. Beyond there it was metal, a facsimile of an arm in steel and rivets and segmented metal tubes that seemed to plunge into the man's actual flesh. Articulated parts would have let the arm and fingers move had a small firebox furnace incorporated in the design been alight. At the moment the metal prosthetic was cold and inactive.

The man with the bronze eye turned to look cautiously at Cazamir at his question, the metal globe swivelling in the socket to focus on him; he could see little metal plates moving at its centre under a glass layer, focusing on him with an almost inaudible whirring noise. Then the man nodded back at the stricken form in indication.

"Our man was injured badly, his arm mangled by some of those creatures that people round here call dreadspawn. We removed it and replaced it with a prosthetic but he has not taken it well, his body fighting in rejection. It would have been manageable but then the flesh there was infected by some affliction, and I hope the people here can help cure it or else the wounding might kill him." He coughed apologetically. "I apologise if perhaps you find the idea of mechanical prosthetics... alien in concept. We are Ironjacks, and we do not come from these kingdoms, we are but recently arrived." He scrutinised Cazamir a bit longer. "You look like you are one of the people I hear called Huronese, from the lands south of here. I have heard that you have wizard-thaumineers who make many marvels. Still we have found that our ways and our machines are strange to your people and the people of this 'Drakkath'." He paused. "Nonetheless I would prefer to be in these lands where we are strange to natives than in the lands we fled from. We were driven from our homes over the Azure sea, and cannot go back."

“So you Ironjacks seek to replace damaged parts of the body with machines?” Cazamir asked, oddly fascinated by the healing arts of the monks before him. He continued without turning to regard the bronze-eyed man beside him. “You look to have been wounded a great many times, or are some of these changes by choice?”

“Interesting that you would bring your friend here, to a place that promotes purity of the body. I truly hope that they are able to heal the damage that has been wrought. I once studied at a monastery similar to this one, albeit of a different faith. I have learned to use my mind to bolster the body. So far it has served me well. Then again, I have not encountered these dreadspawn you speak of.”

There were a number of dangerous things in the world that Cazamir had not encountered. He kept his eyes focused on the man’s severed arm. Could he function with loss of a limb? Would he grow desperate enough to seek a replacement such as this, if healing were not available? He shuddered, forcing the thought to the back of his mind.

“Tell me, what could force you from your lands? I do not wish to pry, but I am a traveller. I find it better to know what dangers lurk about, even if they are a great distance away.”

The Ironjack wizard pondered for a moment. "We do not seek to replace parts of the body with machines, at least most of us do not, though there are... some who think that desireable. No, most of us Ironjacks merely believe in the usefulness of crafting mechanical prosthetics as replacements for limbs and organs damaged beyond repair. There is risk in taking on a prosthetic and it is not something one does lightly. And since I have come to these lands I have heard of strange flesh-sorcerers called 'Manipulators' who can repair the damage to the body in ways that the healers of gods cannot, and I wonder how my Ironjack kindred will see this. Still, for an Ironjack warrior a prosthetic is a mark of pride, for it shows you have fought and experienced the dangers of battle. This," he pointed to his bronze eye, "I lost to the sanguinii."

"We once dwelled upon the western coast of the continent your peoples call Avora, over the Azure sea. There our rigs and settlements were a centre of glorious learning and craftsmanship. Yet even with the might of our sciences, we were driven out, refugees now from our own land, or at least those of us who survived. Dark beings we call the sanguinii - for they are blood-sorcerers and masters of dead flesh, and they drink from the flesh of others - came from further east, roused by the Elder gods. Once they were the servants of the mad Elders, and were but travellers tales to us, for we heard occasionally that they prowled the Azkhatu jungles still, and we were not prepared for their attack. We were not the only ones to suffer, but I fear we Ironjacks took the brunt of their fury. I lost my eye even as they stormed our rig; myself and the other men of the rig were attempting to hold them at bay that our families and belongings might be stowed onto our ships and dirigibles, and then we retreated too and left our home to be a palace to their festering minions. Many of us escaped, but there are many rigs we never heard from, and many of the treasures and sciences of our people are lost to them."

The wizard-mechanic stared at the floor gloomily. "We are a scattered people now, small caravans here and there across these lands. Few in number, and with no influence to really protect ourselves with. There are not many in these lands who take kindly to us and our machines, at least not for longer than it takes for them to buy designs from us." He brightened. "But we are still alive at least, and I have heard tales of a Mechanist-Superior having established an Ironjack enclave for us in the port of Iril, so I shall travel there and see how things fare. And some listen to our sciences in these lands. We Ironjacks are not defeated yet."

“I am glad to hear that you are survivors,” Cazamir told the Ironjack. That earns my respect more than most. Your ways are still very foreign to me, not due to the distance seperating our cultures, but your ways are still very foreign to me, not due to the distance seperating our cultures, but in the ways we hone our bodies. I do not think less of you – I just do not understand the path you tread. Regardless, I hope your friend survives his current trial.”

He turned from the healing procedures and glanced at his group of greybeards, making sure that they were still busy in setting up camp.

“I have heard a little of these Manipulators you seek, but never have I seen one. Otherwise, I would gladly point you in their direction.”

“I have work ahead of me, but should you need anything Ironjack, please ask.” With the last words, Cazamir extended his hand to the Ironjack. He then stepped away from the wagon, allowing the monks more space to work on the fallen man.

Many interesting travellers, Cazamir thought, but I am not here to fraternize with them. He glanced around, looking to see if any other acolytes were available to speak with. He found himself curious to see how the followers of Grumand lived, and what differences other than religion seperated the two groups.

Carnifex

First Post
Surielle Moonshade said:
So this is the game theRuinedOne has talked about for months? It looks good! I have a lot of reading ahead of me. =)

:D Don't worry, coming up you get to see theRuinedOne's character, Cazamir, get battered, burned and generally knocked about a fair bit :)

All I need say at this point is 'Crystal Eye' and 'critical hit' in combination with each other, I think :)

Carnifex

First Post
The Ironjack wizard took Cazamir's extended hand and shook it respectfully, nodding to the monk as he stepped away from the triumvirate of figures clustered around the injured man on the table. The other Ironjacks sitting on and around their ironclad wagon watched him cautiously but without hostility as he moved away in search of a Grumandic acolyte.

It wasn't hard to locate one who didn't seem to be immediately tied up in other duties. Every so often a gray-robed figure could be seen passing through the cloisters on their way from the temple to the living quarters or from gardens to storehouses, carrying a carefully tended plant in a pot or with a sack of harvested food slung over one shoulder.

Cazamir managed to get the attention of one man crossing the cloisters in what seemed to be the uniform gray colours that were worn here by the monks. Tall and well-built, skin tanned a healthy colour from working out in the sun, the man had a leather-strapped rack of what looked like weapons - sianghams and kama - slung over one shoulder, the weapons freshly polished and sparkling, while in the other hand he carried a small leather bag. The monk stopped and nonchalantly nodded in greeting to his Urazelite counterpart.

"Greetings, traveller. May I be of assistance to you?" he asked questioningly but pleasantly.

Cazamir bowed to the grey-robed monk, locking his hands in the traditional Uzraelite style.

“Greetings to you,” Cazamir said, producing a slight smile.

“I have a question. Would it be possible for me to further explore the compound? I have studied at the Uzraelite monastery in Huron, and I an interested to see what elements our faiths share. I do not wish to disturb your bretheren, but rest assured I would be quiet and respectful within your halls.”

The Grumandic monk nodded at Cazamir's question, interest in his face. "Certainly, by all means feel free to look around our home. Of course there are some places that are only for our brethren to enter, but I imagine that the places which hold interest for you, you will find easily accessible."

As the monk headed onwards on his way, having paused longer only to give Cazamir a general direction towards the temple of the compound, the Huronese man was able to make his own way about. Meandering from the cloisters, he saw that many of the low buildings scattered around, constructed from granite and sandstone, seemed to be either quarters for the monks here, small windows letting him see in to the sparsely furnished interiors, or store-houses for the produce that the inhabitants grew from the tiered steps of crops and gardens that spread down the side of the valley below the compound. He could see the small figures of the farmer-monks down there now from the southern wall of the compound; the monks here seemed to value hard work and effort, and from their strong physiques it looked like they trained even harder to toughen themselves beyond what working in the elements did to one.

Round one corner he came across a sandy area, the ground sparse of the grass or gardens found throughout most of the rest of the compound. Here he saw a half-dozen of the acolytes, younger men and women in loose gray garments that watched a seventh figure intently. The tutor, a tough-looking man, squat and broad, stood before them speaking in commanding tone, occasionally running a hand over his bald head to sweep away a sheen of sweat. His face and bare arms looked like a scything slayer had played noughts-and-crosses on them, ragged scars running madly across his skin.

"Now watch! You step thus," and he swept one leg round into position, "and settle thus. Now, attempt to bring me down; I shall not strike back." One of the students tentatively stepped forwards, bringing to bear the kinds of movements that Cazamir found familiar, trips and attempts at throws or grapples. All the tutor did was throw the occasional timely block, never striking back offensively, and the student could not drop him, the older man's stance unyielding.

"One must be like the very stone and earth of Grumand itself. Unyielding, unrelenting. Let the enemy wash up against you like you are a wall to his strikes, such that he cannot harm you."

Moving on from the training lesson, Cazamir found himself at the entrance of the building that the monk had indicated was the temple to Grumand here. Larger than the other structures around it, solidly built and founded; within the wide doorway it was gloomy and dark, cool, moist air flowing out towards him.

Within was a wide space, not ostentatious but instead simple in its furniture and embellishments. At the far end was the altar to Grumand, a stone-ringed pool of water from which sprouted upwards what could only be one of the natural rocky growths that formed deep in mineral-rich caverns, water from the ceiling above dripping down onto it in quiet serenity. He couldn't see where the water was coming from, as it simply seemed to come from the rock itself; then he saw a bronze pipe running up one wall, and doubtless there was a steamwork pump nearby too that pushed the water up, from where it slowly diffused down though the porous rock. A tiny bit of a deep cavern, recreated here on the surface.

Broccli_Head

Explorer
Carnifex said:
As a further note, Broccli_Head will at some point in the future be entering the game with what seems likely to be a gnoll ranger character :)

Yup! That'll be me. Can't wait, though it will probably be about Jan. when I'm introduced.

Carnifex

First Post
Broccli_Head said:
Yup! That'll be me. Can't wait, though it will probably be about Jan. when I'm introduced.

Sadly this seems likely, especially as my 'holiday' this year is going to be very busy and also I'll likely have only patchy net access to run the game over :(

Still, I must remember to get the gnoll race stats over to you sometime soon! :)

Carnifex

First Post
Not sure if there'll be another update from me this week - I'm fairly busy with work, not to mention that tomorrow I'm off to see Eddie Izzard live :D Definitely an update early next week though at the latest.

Carnifex

First Post
Well, I'm afraid I've just been waaaaay to busy over the past few days to put up another update, which is a shame since the one I was planning to do is pretty important :p The problem is that from tomorrow morning I head off to stay with my mother over the Xmas holidays, and the chances are that I'll have little to no net access - so it may be some time before I get to update again! If I do have a chance to post again some time soon, I'll take it - but if not, see you all after Xmas! :D

Carnifex

First Post
Well, I now do have some internet access, via the local library. Unfortunately, I can't properly access the game board at the moment, thus can't write more story hour as yet :( It's probably the set-up of the library computers preventing me from seeing the board, but it might be more serious than that...

Remove ads