Yunru

Banned
Banned
Huge Beast, unaligned

Armour Class 15 (natural armour)
Hit Points 136 (13d12+52)
Speed 40 ft., Swim 40 ft.

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
25 (+7)16 (+3)18 (+4)2 (-4)12 (+1)5 (-3)

Languages
Challenge 7 (2,900XP)

Hold Breath. The Carnufex can hold its breath for 30 minutes.

Keen Smell. The Carnufex has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on smell.

Blood Frenzy. The Carnufex has advantage on melee attack rolls against any creature that doesn't have all its hit points.

Actions

Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +10 to hit, reach 10 ft., one creature. Hit: 34 (5d10 + 7) slashing damage.

Tail Swipe. Each creature within 10 ft. of the Carnufex must make a DC 18 Dexterity saving throw or take 17 (3d6+7) bludgeoning damage and be knocked prone.

Bio
Carnufex are visually and structurally similar to bipedal crocodiles. However, unlike crocodiles, carnufex have forgone ambushing prey. Instead they will tirelessly chase down injured prey until it collapses.

Last edited:

ZenBear

Explorer
My first thought when I saw this thread was of this guy but I doubt it would be CR 7. What's the inspiration here? The creature seems fine, but nothing stands out as especially interesting without context. It's just a big beatstick.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
My first thought when I saw this thread was of this guy but I doubt it would be CR 7. What's the inspiration here? The creature seems fine, but nothing stands out as especially interesting without context. It's just a big beatstick.

Mostly the Carnufex Carolinensis. And it is a big beatstick, yes. Like the T-Rex, except I like to think this one plays a bit more tactically.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
I am opposed to mid and higher CR creatures that are more or less simple beatsticks. Having little to no advanced movement, and being bound to melee combat hobbles monsters all the way up to the "mighty" Tarrasque.

Based on pictures of Carnufex, it seems like they could do with some kind of burst of speed attack. Endurance hunting is effective irl, however it is extremely hard to make engaging in a game, and they don't have the bonuses to tracking or perception to pull it off.

Satyrn

First Post
I'd give it a multiattack, letting it bite and tail swipe on the same round . . . But give it a recharge so that I wouldn't use it every round.

I'd also make this a Badass monster (less than legendary, but the same idea, named from the Borderlands video game) giving it 1 use of legendary resistance and something - an attack or something cool - it can do as a reaction when somebody else finishes their turn. My Badass Elemental skags imbue another skag with elemental energy as a reaction.

And I'd leave it at CR 7 despite these changes since other than the high attack bonus you gave him, this thing would be CR 5, and it's so melee dependant as [MENTION=53176]Leatherhead[/MENTION] points out.

guachi

Hero
My only real objection is making it CR 7. The carnifex was about 10 feet long and 5 feet tall and I don't see that as a CR 7 creature.

epithet

Explorer
Hmm. I'd drop the bite damage a bit, add a grapple to it, and give it multiattack, 2 melee attacks. I would also add another action, maybe call it Rend. Targets one grappled creature, digging in its teeth as it thrashes its head side to side. Damage equal to the bite, save for half.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
My only real objection is making it CR 7. The carnifex was about 10 feet long and 5 feet tall and I don't see that as a CR 7 creature.

Giant ape is cr 7 so is young black dragon and T-Rex iirc

Most of the CR7s I recall have Multiattack too, not sure if Blood frenzy matches that.

I do like the idea of a burst speed or even a pounce attack ( as it goes for all fours to biped mode) the fact that the can hold breath underwater suggest they are stealth hunters too

guachi

Hero
Yeah, that's why I don't think a carnufex would be CR7. It's not as big as a T-Rex, which is 40 feet long and 12 feet tall (and a real thing, so the comparison is probably easier).

I think the giant ape is fairly tall as well considering its reach is 10 feet.

Remove ads