Carpet of Flying free move action?

reveal

Adventurer
Jack Simth said:
You misunderstand - I didn't mean to imply that the movement was entirely free of cost - just that, interperted as a free action speaking, it's free of cost to the wizard's actions - the wizard tells the carpet to start turning right, and then goes about his business flinging fireballs at the rogue on the ground, perhaps taking a move equivalent action to draw a wand, while the carpet is turning right. If the carpet is controlled by free action spoken directions, then the wizard effectively gets free flying movement (well, it's not free - he "purchased" the carpet in some way, shape, or form, to get the movement); but he can continue to do whatever he likes.

Perhaps it is the standard free-action talking; I don't see it clearly specified.

Perhaps it's a move equivalent action, like redirecting a spell, to control the flying carpet with a "spoken direction". I don't see it clearly specified.

Perhaps it's a standard action, another command word, to control the flying carpet with a "spoken direction". I don't see it clearly specified.

Besides, why would a carpet that's defined as "moving" at an unspecified speed qualify as "violent motion"? Is it specified in the description somewhere that I missed? It might merely qualify as "vigourus motion" - in which case, a 5th level wizard with max ranks in Concentration (and seriously, how many wizards at that level don't max out concentration?) and even a single point of Con bonus will make the check on a roll of 1; it might qualify as "high wind with rain and sleet" and be a DC 5 Concentration check; it might be quite smooth, and not incur a Concentration check at all. As far as I can readily tell, it's not specified.

Or am I missing something glaringly obvious?

I see what you're saying but I think you're looking into this too deeply. Speaking is usually a free action. It's a standard action to activate a magic carpet by speaking a command word. Other than that, you just tell it where to go. That's free.

Yes, the magic carpet can continue to move in a circle and, yes, it would just be a DC 10 Concentration check, but that's one of the privileges of a magic carpet. It's a good 20,000gp investment. :)

Remove ads