• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Carrionette for 5th Edition

Sam Stockdale

Villager
They are evil puppets that first appeared in the Ravenloft adventure, The Created. Quoting from the Ravenloft 3rd Edition Denziens of Darkness: "When in repose, a carrionette appears to be nothing more than a brightly painted wooden marionette, with jointed limbs and holes where a puppeteer’s strings might go, though the strings themselves are absent. It matters little, as the carrionette is perfectly capable of moving without the aid of a puppeteer. A carrionette’s most feared power is its ability to usurp control of the bodies of living creatures, controlling them from within like a puppeteer. Gaining control over a living body is the only ambition of a carrionette."

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Carrionettes are D&D's version of Chucky. ;)

Does anyone have any idea how a carrionette's stats might appear for 5th edition?

I did this thing. It should work OK.

Attachments

• carrionette.pdf
    199.7 KB · Views: 346

I'm working on some Ravenloft rules & monster. Just did the Carrionette:

Carrionette
Small construct, chaotic evil
Armour Class 13 (natural armour)
Hit Points 13 (3d6 +3)
Speed 15 ft.
Str 6 (-2) Dex 13 (+1) Con 12 (+1) Int 10 (+0) Wis 9 (-1) Cha 8 (-1)
Damage Immunities poison, psychic
Condition Immunities charmed, exhaustion, frightened, paralyzed, petrified, poisoned
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 9
Challenge 1/4 (100 xp)
Actions
Straight Razor. Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 3 (1d4+1) slashing damage.
Silver Needle. Ranged Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, range 15/60 ft., one target. Hit: 1 piercing damage. When the thrown needle hits a living creature, the creature must succeed on a DC 13 Wisdom saving throw or the targeted limb is paralyzed. A paralyzed arm cannot be used and a paralyzed leg reduces the creatures speed by half. When all four limbs are paralyzed the creature is incapacitated. Removing a needle is an action and the limb ceases to be paralyzed after 1d4 rounds.
Possession. The carrionette can drive its silver needle into the neck of an incapacitated creature, swapping minds with the target. The targeted creature must succeed on a DC 14 Charisma saving throw or have their mind moved into the body of a puppet. On a success, the target resist the carrionette, and they can't try again for 24 hours. When the carrionette possesses a body, the carrionette and the target exchange game statistics but retains their Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores. After the exchange, the carrionette's old body is incapacitated for 1 hour. If the carionette's body is destroyed, its soul is also killed, as is any soul inhabiting the body. The exchange is permanent. However, if the carrionette's body drives a silver needle into its host body, the souls automatically switch back.

Feedback is appreciated.

-edit-
This was published in the Dungeon Master's Guild, here: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/179779/Children-of-the-Night

Last edited:

xbradshawx79

First Post
I'm working on some Ravenloft rules and monsters. Just did the Carrionette:

Carrionette
Small construct, chaotic evil
Armour Class 13 (natural armour)
Hit Points 13 (3d6 +3)
Speed 15 ft.
Str 6 (-2) Dex 13 (+1) Con 12 (+1) Int 10 (+0) Wis 9 (-1) Cha 8 (-1)
Damage Immunities poison, psychic
Condition Immunities charmed, exhaustion, frightened, paralyzed, petrified, poisoned
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 9
Challenge 1/4 (100 xp)
Actions
Straight Razor. Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 3 (1d4+1) slashing damage.
Silver Needle. Ranged Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, range 15/60 ft., one target. Hit: 1 piercing damage. When the thrown needle hits a living creature, the creature must succeed on a DC 13 Wisdom saving throw or the targeted limb is paralyzed. A paralyzed arm cannot be used and a paralyzed leg reduces the creatures speed by half. When all four limbs are paralyzed the creature is incapacitated. Removing a needle is an action and the limb ceases to be paralyzed after 1d4 rounds.
Possession. The carrionette can drive its silver needle into the neck of an incapacitated creature, swapping minds with the target. The targeted creature must succeed on a DC 14 Charisma saving throw or have their mind moved into the body of a puppet. On a success, the target resist the carrionette, and they can't try again for 24 hours. When the carrionette possesses a body, the carrionette and the target exchange game statistics but retains their Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores. After the exchange, the carrionette's old body is incapacitated for 1 hour. If the carionette's body is destroyed, its soul is also killed, as is any soul inhabiting the body. The exchange is permanent. However, if the carrionette's body drives a silver needle into its host body, the souls automatically switch back.

Feedback is appreciated.

This is awesome, and your guide is really good as well! Doing my own conversion was very close to this...now if I can just get Maligno done I will be able to run "The Created" for one of my groups! Thanks so much for your work on this.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads