• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Carrying capacity: The ruling currency?

MarkB

Legend
Carrying redonkulous amounts of scrolls is something I see in a lot of discussions about wizards. It's very often used as a way to illustrate why the sorcerer's flexibility isn't very important. "Well, the wizard can just carry a scroll for every spell he doesn't have prepared."

How is the wizard carrying all this stuff? Even if he finds a way to do it, how long is it taking him to pull out the items he needs in combat?

I seem to recall there being a number of scroll cases and potion bandoliers published which provide relatively easy mundane access to such things - but really, the answer is "handy haversack". Stuff as many scrolls in there as it'll carry, and the specific one you're after will be at the top when you reach in, every time. It's handy that way.

Argyle King

Legend
I seem to recall there being a number of scroll cases and potion bandoliers published which provide relatively easy mundane access to such things - but really, the answer is "handy haversack". Stuff as many scrolls in there as it'll carry, and the specific one you're after will be at the top when you reach in, every time. It's handy that way.

Those items certainly help, but they carry limitations as well. You cannot take them into extra-dimensional spaces, so a lot of spells (i.e. rope trick) suddenly become unusable unless you leave your gear behind or if you want to risk some of the problems which come with putting an extra-dimensional space inside of another extra-dimensional space. Having scolls (which are paper) and bags all over your body also carries problems of its own in a world where the things you can encounter are capable of setting you on fire.

A lot of these limitations probably are minor in the grand scheme of things. Still, I'd like to see what a game would look like with a DM that enforces a lot of the things that are usually handwaved away. In contrast, I'd also be interested to see what a game would look like with a DM that handwaved rules in favor of a fighter so as to take away some of the perceived limitations to that class. My point being that while I do agree that casters in 3rd Edition do overshadow some of their mundane counterparts, I think that disparity in power is made worse because many groups handwave away many rules, and many of the rules being handwaved are ones that -when absent- benefit casters even more.

MarkB

Legend
Those items certainly help, but they carry limitations as well. You cannot take them into extra-dimensional spaces, so a lot of spells (i.e. rope trick) suddenly become unusable unless you leave your gear behind or if you want to risk some of the problems which come with putting an extra-dimensional space inside of another extra-dimensional space.

As discussed in a recently resurrected thread, there are no hard-and-fast rules to that effect, except regarding the interactions of bags of holding and portable holes. Expect table variation.

Having scolls (which are paper) and bags all over your body also carries problems of its own in a world where the things you can encounter are capable of setting you on fire.

As a general rule, attended items aren't vulnerable to such effects, unless the character carrying them rolls a 1 on his Reflex save.

Unattended items, however (such as packs abandoned at the start of combat to reduce encumbrance) have no such protection, and the average Fireball will consume pretty much every non-magical item in your backpack that isn't made of adamantium, so material composition is a relatively minor issue.

A lot of these limitations probably are minor in the grand scheme of things. Still, I'd like to see what a game would look like with a DM that enforces a lot of the things that are usually handwaved away.

I'm imagining Sheldon Cooper rubbing his hands in delight at the prospect. Personally, I can't see it enhancing the experience.

In contrast, I'd also be interested to see what a game would look like with a DM that handwaved rules in favor of a fighter so as to take away some of the perceived limitations to that class. My point being that while I do agree that casters in 3rd Edition do overshadow some of their mundane counterparts, I think that disparity in power is made worse because many groups handwave away many rules, and many of the rules being handwaved are ones that -when absent- benefit casters even more.

I've never seen carrying capacity as affecting casters more than other classes. It affects weak characters more than strong characters, and sure, that means it hits wizards and sorcerers hard - but it affects any other non-Strength-based class just as badly, and Small characters doubly so. Meanwhile, other primary spellcasting classes such as druids and clerics tend towards the brawny, and are not particularly affected.

What rules, in particular, do you consider to affect martial classes specifically that you'd like to see handwaved?

howandwhy99

Adventurer
I will say this: I think it's weird that D&D characters fight with their backpacks on. Soldiers in the military cover heavy packs all the time, but (correct me if I'm wrong!) they drop them when they enter a firefight. D&D characters should do that too.
Great common sense advice. This may not be the best strategy every time, but vials of healing potions can be stuffed in pockets. Backing out of the dungeon with every gold coin you can carry is a time honored tradition.

Argyle King

Legend
What rules, in particular, do you consider to affect martial classes specifically that you'd like to see handwaved?

Honestly, I'm not sure. It just seems to me that most of the rules which get ignored are -when ignored- ones which tend to more greatly benefit casting classes with their absence.

N'raac

First Post
Guys, with cyclical initiative, just apply a penalty when it's rolled and be done with it - you don't react as fast as everyone else and you'll be last each round, or whatever. You don't suddenly gain initiative in 3.X or PF when you cast Cat's Grace do you?

Exactly - which is why the house rule in question confuses me. Initiative is rolled at the start of the fight. It changes only where someone voluntarily delays their action in some way. Each action otherwise takes place exactly one round after the character's previous action.

Remove ads