Cassael's Lament - An Eberron Story (Updated 5/1)

Anti-Sean

First Post
The inkeeper grinned wickedly. "Yer here for Morathus, eh? Well, whatever business you have with the knave, you'd best be quick about it! I sent my boy out to fetch the guard on him not minutes ago. Hasn't paid his rightfully owed debts, he hasn't! Trying to ruin me own livelihood out of spite!"

Autumn responded in a dry, flat tone. "Yes, I'm sure you've suffered terribly at his hands, sir. How much does he owe you?"

"Well, he's had a room here for a week, and he's drank nearly all the Nightwood Ale I have in my cellar. I'd say he owes me more than thirty sovereigns, not counting the mental anguish I've gone through!"

Autumn produced five golden coins from a pouch and placed them on the bar, where they promptly disappeared into the inkeepers clutches. "These galifars should cover your expenses, sir. Now if you don't mind, we have an appointment to keep."

The inkeepers demeanor changed from one of outright contempt to poorly disguised greed as he quickly calculated how much he bilk out of the naive seeming warforged. "Certainly, certainly sir! Mind you don't disturb me other customers!"

Niv leaned in closer to her companion, muttering under her breath as they moved towards the rear of the tavern. "Other customers? Unless the rats swarming around are paying him, I'd say the old wretch is delusional!" The common room of the tavern was empty, save for one table near the cold fireplace in the rear. A man in a modest, drab tunic and breeches sat there alone, hunched forward over a mug of ale clutched in his large hands, one of which bore a large opalescent ring. Long, straight blonde hair fell forward over a hard, gaunt face full of severe angles and covered with a close cropped beard. Eyes the color of steel watched them as they approached, cold and intense at the same time. He took one long swig of ale before setting it down as they stood above him.

"You must be Autumn and Niv. Meksoor sent word that you would be arriving soon. Please have a seat. I would offer you some of this ale, but it would be a shame to let it go to waste. The warforged can't drink it, and I'd wager the lady would prefer a lighter fare, especially at this hour."

Niv held a wrist to her forehead in a dramatic pose. "Oh, thank you, kind sir, for your thoughtfulness! Why, 'the lady' is likely to faint at the mere smell of such an intoxicating brew. Hopefully, a big, strong man as noble and gallant as yourself will be there to catch her should that happen." She punctuated her response by falling into her chair and pantomiming a fit of wretching.

Sheepishly trying to avoid Niv's white-hot glare, Aldren looked down to find a wolf's head laid across his leg, her large brown eyes gazing up at him. "And, err... who is your friend?", he asked, his tone relaxing slightly as he scratched her behind her ear.

"Her name is Kiva. I think she likes you, Sir Morathus, -"

Autumn was interrupted by an upraised hand. "It is simply Aldren Morathus, warforged. That title was given up long ago. I have proven myself unworthy of it."

"There's a surprise," Niv grumbled to no one in particular.

"My apologies, Si... Aldren. I noted you as a member of the Order of Rekkenmark, and sought to address you in a suitable manner."

Aldren smiled wryly, the steel of his eyes softening somewhat as he fingered the ring on his finger. "You are very observant. Not many these days recognize its meaning."

Autumn shrugged. "I killed many men and women who bore that ring in the war."

The steel returned to Aldren's eyes as he calmly set down the mug he had just picked up again, replying with an icy calm. "Is that a threat, warforged? I assure you, I am up to the challenge, if you are so foolish."

Autumn raised his hands in a supplicating gesture. "Again, I must offer my apologies, Aldren, I meant it as neither a threat nor a boast. I merely sought to explain my familiarity with the ring. I saw combat across much of Khorvaire during the war, but a great deal of it was against the stalwarts of Karrnath. Out of the many forces we were put up against, they were the deadliest. We lost far more of our soldiers to them than the reverse. The humans I served with always paled when the banner of the red wolf appeared on the field, while my fellow warforged relished the chance to test their mettle against a truly deadly foe. Those comrades of mine were the biggest fools of all. Whether the foe was powerful or weak, battle-hardened knights or terrified conscripts, the end result was always the same: death. 'The Last War', they call it, in some vain attempt to ascribe some larger meaning or worth to it. Such utter nonsense! That war was the same as all other wars. It brought nothing but pain and suffering, death and destruction and untold loss to us all, simply because a few siblings couldn't agree on which one of them got to wear a crown. I would never boast about any actions I took during its course."

Aldren held his gaze for a long, pregnant pause, before lifting his mug towards Autumn. "Now that, Autumn, is a sentiment I can drink to."

Niv cleared her throat loudly. "Well, boys, while I hate to interrupt Aldren's healthy breakfast, or your little Veteran's Society swapping of old war stories, we have a lightning rail to catch tomorrow morning, and we need to get some supplies. I suggest we start that as soon as possible."

Aldren nodded. "The lady is right. Please allow me to retire to my room and collect my things. I shall be but a few moments. If you'll excuse me." He rose from his chair with a stiff, perfunctory bow, and climbed the nearby staircase to his room.

"Hmmm. He seems decent enough, if a bit stiff. We could have done far worse, as far as companions go. What do you think, Niv?"

"Oh, did you remember I was still here? How thoughtful of you. I didn't want to interrupt the two of you while you were so busy polishing your swords."

Autumn arched a metal eyebrow. "I'm not following you, Niv."

"Never mind, Autumn," Niv snapped irritably, "Lets just hurry up, collect what we need, and get out of this damned town."

As if on cue, a squadron of the Sharn Guard sauntered in through the inn's doors, their truncheons swinging lazily. Their leader, a short, squat human almost dwarvish in build, scanned the tavern room. "Alright, the word is we've got someone here who hasn't paid his proper dues," he proclaimed. "We aim to rectify that situation, one way or another."

Autumn rose from his chair, Kiva appearing at his side instantly as he strode forward towards the guards. "I believe you gentleman are referring to my companion. I have already settled his debt; the inkeeper has been paid in full."

The guard looked back at his comrades, sharing a gutteral laugh with them before addressing Autumn. "Oh really? Well, that's just lovely to hear. The only problem is, clank, we haven't gotten our fair share. We've been called away from our routine patrol to attend to this here issue, and we expect proper compensation for our troubles. It's the only way to keep our fair city safe and clean and respectable."

Autumn's head cocked to the side. "If you seek payment, I suggest you speak to the bursar at your office when your shift is over."

A wicked leer spread across the guards face. "Look at this, boys, someone's even teaching these stupid clanks to tell jokes now! Well listen good, clank - I don't find you very funny! I think its time someone taught you to respect your betters!"

Niv sidled up next to Autumn, whispering through clenched teeth. "Autumn, this is not a good idea. Just let it go, don't provoke them. We can still talk our way out of this."

Autumn scoffed. "Please, Niv, do you honestly think this rabble is even barely a threat?"

"No, Autumn, I don't. Does the fact that they're members of the Guard mean anything to you? Do you really want to get us locked in some jail cell right as we're about to finally leave this city? I'm sorry, but I'm not about to let that happen!" She turned towards the head guard, reaching for her coinpurse. "Sir, I'm terribly sorry for my companion's behavior, he still hasn't quite learned how things are done around here."

The guard screwed his face up into a look of mock horror. "Are you trying to offer me a bribe? Me, an officer of the city guard? You make me sick! You're both under arrest! Boys, take them down, and make it hurt!"

The ominous sound of slow, thunderous footsteps coming down the staircase stopped the guardsmens' advance before it began. Heavy, hobnailed boots descended step by step, revealing a towering figure clad in glistening black platemail. An open-faced helm carried in his right hand, Aldren Morathus strode forward through the tavern to stand next to Autumn and Niv, a shaft of sunlight from the doorway glinting off of the fist-sized crimson jewel set in the middle of his breastplate. "If you're taking my companions somewhere, gentlemen, I would like to accompany them, if you don't mind. Or shall I show you Mercy once more, Tars?" His left hand lifted upwards, reaching towards the foot and a half long hilt of a sword jutting out over his shoulder.

The guard went pale, stammering as he wheeled on the inkeeper. "You didn't tell me it was him! The Keeper take the lot of you! Come on, boys, we're off!" He spat on the floor and pushed his way through the other guards as they quickly followed him out of the inn.

"Friends of yours, I take it?" Niv jerked a thumb towards the door.

A corner of Aldren's mouth raised in a slight smile. "I ran into Corporal Tars about a week ago in an alleyway behind a tavern. He was of the opinion that his status as a member of the city guard allowed him to be rather more forward with a young lady than I thought was proper. The fact that he's walking again so soon is a testament to the skills of House Jorasco's healers."

"Which begs the question of what you were doing in that alleyway in the first place," Niv smiled acidly. "I have to ask, Aldren, who's your tailor? That's definitely not a light and breezy summer number. You must lose ten pounds a day just by sweating in that thing. And don't you think that big red rock on your chest is a bit... gaudy?"

"This armor was forged for my grandfather's grandfather's grandfather by the finest smiths in all of Karrnath. All of the eldest sons of the Morathus line have worn it since then. As for the 'big red rock', as you refer to it, I must admit that I'm surprised you haven't seen the symbol of the Blood of Vol before."

Last edited:

Anti-Sean

First Post
I'm very sorry for the lack of updates! Let me see if I can give a quick breakdown of how busy this past month has been: In addition to a bout of writer's block, I had a nasty cold, my wife had a nasty cold, my wife had two gallery openings for her photography, we had an anniversary to celebrate, her birthday to celebrate, and work has been quite busy. Coming up in the next few weeks, I've got another gallery opening to attend, the Underdark Prerelease, my brothers wedding, and hopefully, the beginning of my first stint as a DM! (in an Eberron campaign, of course) I'm not used to having this much going on, I've become accustomed to a very sedentary lifestyle. ;) On a positive note, I have the first draft of the next update complete. Now I just need to give it a good revision, run it by my wife, and I should have it ready for posting either tonight or tomorrow night. This next one and perhaps one or two after that might be a bit talky/expository, but the action should pick up shortly. Thanks for your patience!

Solarious

Explorer
Not to worry! Most of us who write tend to hit this roadblock at one point or another in our careers as scribblers-for-hire. Talking is good, always space for character development, ya know.

*whips out a note pad and starts taking furious notes*

Keep on going. ;)

Anti-Sean

First Post
Lharvion 10, 998 YK
Breland
Terminus, Sharn

The district of Terminus in Lower Tavick's Landing teemed perpetually with throngs of passengers arriving in and departing from Sharn via the lightning rail. This morning was no exception. The enormous lightning rail station dominated the district, a cavernous, opulent testimony to the wealth and power of House Orien. The local administrators of the house had allowed all manner of businesses to open up shop within and around the station, and a thriving marketplace had grown in its shadow. House Orien couriers waited to be dispatched to locations all across Khorvaire carrying parcels for those too busy or too poor to afford the trip themselves, while House Sivis had found an ideal location for a large message station, servicing the communication needs of lightning rail passengers. Autumn, Niv, Kiva and Aldren made their way through the marketplace in order to begin their journey, passing by a large park across from the station.

A small group of demonstrators had gathered in the park seeking to draw the attention of the latest batch of travelers arriving and departing. They held signs and chanted songs full of hateful invective against the warforged race, decrying their very existence. Niv cursed under her breath as Autumn took notice of the group and subtly changed direction in order to walk directly in front of them. He lowered the hood of his cloak, allowing the meager sunlight penetrating the morning mist to glint off of his mostly steel head. Some of the demostrators grew more boisterous and vociferous at his presence. He slowed his pace almost to a crawl, slowly and deliberately meeting the gaze of each demonstrator in turn without a word, Kiva padding alongside him slowly, her low growls speaking for him. Niv wrapped a hand around one of the warforged's thick, trunk-like arms. "Come on, Autumn, let's go. They're not worth it." Autumn responded with a grunt and one last stony glare at the crowd, and turned to follow his companions toward the station.

Niv thought she heard Autumn whisper a few words under his breath, but couldn't be sure. A chorus of screams erupted behind them a few moments later, confirming her suspicions. She turned around to see the group of demonstrators panicking as long, ropy vines burst forth from the ground below them, tangling themselves around the demonstrators and holding them in place. Several nearby members of the Sharn Guard had rushed forth to aid them, only to be held fast by the vines as well. Autumn was peering around at anything other than the crowd in a determinedly disinterested manner, humming a soft tune.

The inspection by Orien conductors passed by without incident. Niv was wearing the face of a young half-elf noblewoman to match the identity papers provided to her by Meksoor. The conductor was appropriately deferential to her, and paid little notice to the 'retainers' traveling with her. Aldren played the part of her bodyguard with sufficient aplomb, but Autumn bristled slightly at being referred to as a servant, and even moreso at Kiva being described as a 'pet' and a 'curiosity' to be gifted to a relative in Aundair.

The porter greeted the group with a wide grin, bowing and scraping obsequiously before the Lady ir'Tain, as he repeatedly referred to Niv. "Not to worry, milady, you can keep the clank in the cart here with the rest of the baggage. There's no need to waste a valuable seat that a passenger can use!" He chuckled at his own joke and reached up to pat Autumn on the shoulder. "No offense taken there now, all in good fun!"

Autumn gave a slight, stiff bow. "None taken." His fist shot out and smashed into the porter's nose. The warforged caught the unconscious body before it reached the ground, and stuffed him unceremoniously into the baggage cart, tossing a few nearby pieces of luggage on top of the porter for good measure. He turned to his companions, with a hard, angry edge to his voice. "Now that that's taken care of, shall we find our seats? Suddenly, I find myself anxious to leave this city." He stomped off towards the passenger carts with Kiva close behind, Niv and Aldren following along wordlessly.

Niv rounded on Autumn the moment the group arrived in their private room in the luxury cart, her voice tight between clenched teeth, trying to keep her voice low. "Have you lost your mind, Autumn? Are you trying to end this journey before it begins? Sure, the porter was a buffoon, but was that really the best way to respond to him?"

Autumn's reply was spat out, wet and oily with sarcasm. "I'm terribly sorry to have upset your plans, Niv. Far be it from me to take offense when it seems that every single human I've dealt with today would be happier if I didn't exist! The fact that some of my companions have been in a foul mood since yesterday certainly didn't help to improve my reactions either!"

Niv exploded. "Oh, get over yourself, Autumn! You're not the only one here whose people aren't wanted! I'd be in the same situation as you if I wore my own face around here, so don't you dare take that imperious tone with me!"

Aldren backed towards the door. "I can see you two have much to discuss, so I'll just see what's available in the dining cart." Turning around as he opened the door, he accidentally elbowed the porter they had dealt with earlier in the nose, eliciting a howl of pain from him, and nearly knocking over the conductor accompanying him.

The conductor cleared his throat and addressed the group in a quiet, brusque manner, eager to avoid drawing the attention of any other passengers. "Excuse me, milady and sirs, but my porter here claims that he was assaulted by one of your number. Would you care to enlighten me as to what he is going on about?"

Niv stopped herself in mid argument, and paused for a moment, composing herself before responding in a polite, yet subtly haughty manner. "Your porter appears to be mistaken." She leaned in closer to the conductor, one hand gently touching his arm as she spoke in a more confidential tone. "I didn't want to mention anything before, but I noticed his behavior was quite erratic, and I smelled strong drink upon his breath. He must have fallen down in a stupor and injured himself, and sought a scapegoat to cover up for his malfeasance. I suggest you give him a stern reprimand and keep this matter to yourself."

The conductors eyes had glazed over unnaturally, and he hung on Niv's every word. "Yes, yes, milady, quite right you are. I'm terribly sorry for the interruption." He grabbed the porter roughly by the arm and lead him further along the lightning rail. "Come along, you shiftless layabout, there's work to be done! You'll be sorry you ever thought to lay the blame for your own shortcomings on our fine guests!"

Aldren scratched his bearded chin to cover his smile. "That was well done, but a little risky, enchanting him like that. What happens when your spell wears off?"

Niv shrugged her shoulders. "Who cares? We'll be long gone by that time."

"Very well then. About that food cart..." Aldren quickly exited the room without colliding with anyone.

Niv turned on Autumn once more. "Since you seem to be unaware as to why some of your companions have been in a foul mood, allow me to spell it out for you. In three months of friendship, Autumn, three months, I have heard nothing about your past during the war. Nothing! Occasionally I'll hear you absentmindedly humming a marching song, but that's about all. You haven't told me one word about it. And you know what? I'm alright with that. If you want to leave your past behind you, I can understand that; you're not the only one. But that doesn't seem to be the case here. The very first time you speak with Aldren, you tell him more about your past than you've ever bothered to tell me. And you wonder how I could be slightly bothered by that?"

Autumn stood stock still, his jaw working up and down silently as he struggled to find a response.

Niv's voice softened, and the anger in her eyes faded away. "You don't need to have an answer for me, Autumn, but you might want to find one for yourself. In any event, I think Aldren had the right idea. I'm not very hungry at the moment, but I'm going to see about some food." She turned on her heel and exited the room. Kiva gave the warforged a long look and a plaintive whimper, and padded along behind her.

Autumn sighed deeply as he sat down, sinking into the luxurious cushions their room was furnished with. He leaned his head against the window and watched Terminus and the rest of Sharn fade into the distance as the lightning rail began its journey. "This is going to be a very long trip..."

Last edited:

Eluvan

First Post
Mmmm... very nice. Interesting and likeable characters, a compelling story, evocative descriptions, sparky dialogue, and the whole thing positively reeks of Eberron. Ummm... in a good way. :D

I look forward to reading more!

Remove ads