• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cast Darkness on enemy sword? Save?

Elvinis75

First Post
The spell says object touched with no save allowed. Can you touch a foe's sword and make it useless (or less than ideal) for use?

Does it get a save?

Korak

First Post
Altamont Ravenard said:
IIRC, the sword gets the owner's save, no? Also, the wizard will probably suffer an AoO if he tries this.

AR

Yes, any attended item gets the saves of the possesor.

And, yes, such an attempt would provoke an AOO, 2 actually, one from casting, and one from the attemped touch.

Scion

First Post
I believe it gets its owners base save or its own base save, whichever is higher ;) All items have all saves 2+(caster level/2) if I recall correctly.

Elvinis75

First Post
Korak said:
Yes, any attended item gets the saves of the possesor.

And, yes, such an attempt would provoke an AOO, 2 actually, one from casting, and one from the attemped touch.

Yes but the spell darkness says saving throw: none!
Do I make up a save? How do I set the DC?

MerakSpielman

First Post
From what I read in the SRD, darkness no longer allows a saving throw at all. So if you can successfully touch the sword, the spell goes off with no save.

James McMurray

First Post
What MerakSpielman said.

For hitting the blade originally you'd probably have to use the sunder rules for opposed attack rolls. Perhaps giving the spellcaster a bonus (+4?) because he is only trying to touch, not sunder the blade.

If you instead touch their armor, then all you need to do is make a touch attack, no opposed roll necessary.

In either case, you will provoke an AoO from your foe unless you have Improved Sunder.

MerakSpielman

First Post
Of course, now that darkness just makes an area of "shadowy illumination," it's not nearly as much fun as it used to be.

They also neglected to mention whether it brightens complete darkness to be shadowy illimination.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads