• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cast My NPCs Part 2

STARP_President

First Post
Excellent advice was provided last time. Here come round 2. I'm assigning actors to play NPCs in my campaign - it helps with characterisation and role-playing. My campaign is set on a sailing ship which floats about causing trouble. More NPCs need casting, to whit:

1. The ship's pilot ('coxswain'), who is an elf. He has a century of sailing experience and is kind of cynical and world-weary but good humoured. He has seen a lot and done a lot and isn't really surprised by much. He's a professional sailor and he's good at his job. He comes from an elven subgroup who are exiles from their homeland and have evolved slightly differently, with characters closer to humanity - they sleep, for example, rather than trancing. Anyway, he's familiar with human behaviour and hangs out with them a lot. He's much like a human sailor - he just so happens to be an elf. He's also a family man, with a wife and several children whom he misses like crazy but being an elven family they can stand long periods of separation.
2. The ship's steward - the captain's personal servant. He's a halfling chef by trade, very at home in a kitchen. Plump, jolly but not very assertive or confident, he's a sort of typical halfling in a lot of ways, especially his love of food. He also has hidden talents, though - he's a far better thief than anyone would think looking at him, and he also has a keen mind for numbers and accountancy. He's quite young and has a sort of wide-eyed enthusiasm for his work but he's no soldier or warrior and hates fighting, always hunkering down behind the nearest bulkhead when danger strikes.
3. This NPC has already been cast but I'm looking for alternative names. He's the leader (sort of) of the ship's militia - it's fighting force. He's a veteran mercenary soldier and he knows how to fight but he doesn't believe in all that discipline stuff so he's laid-back and relaxed. He's growing portly now from lack of exercise and too many dinners but he's still got it; he's much better than he looks. He's very casual about shipboard life and gives everyone a nickname, he calls the captain 'skip', for instance. He recently has had to deal with a blow-hard military type as his new CO, his direct boss. He's not an officer (his rank is First Sergeant) and he never wanted to be one but now he's started to think he could do it after all. He's very attached to and protective of his men, and although he likes to fight he'd generally prefer it if the ship kept out of trouble. Also, he's extremely fond of, shall we say, 'spreading his seed', so he's usually the first one off and last one on when the ship is in a port. He's fond of elfmaids, especially.
I cast Jack Black in the role, but I've also been considering Owen Wilson. Any other suggestions?

Thanks folks. Get cracking!

El Presidente

NewJeffCT

First Post
For the first guy, this may be an odd choice - but if you saw Russell Crowe's character from the movie "The Insider" - a cynical & world weary family man who tries to take on Big Tobacco. I think it's Crowe's best performance - certainly better than his Oscar winning turn in Gladiator.

For the 2nd guy, Bart Simpson comes to mind, or Klinger from MASH. The cross dressing is optional for Klinger. ;=)

For the 3rd guy, maybe Harrison Ford as Han Solo? Tom Arnold from True Lies fits the aging, portly part.

I'm a little under the weather today, so my mind is slow. If I think of anybody else, I'll post again later.

Remove ads